Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
DiannaSmith

lockouts

While trying to unlock our Cougar door this morning, we found ourselves in a pickle! the lock will not unlock! it feels like something is in the way. a locksmith is on his way. suggestions? the door has been sticking lately! help!
DiannaSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

You might want to take a look at the hinges on the door. Sometimes, they need to be moved, adjusted or the screws retightened if they are loose. Perhaps the locksmith will have some suggestions for you to try as well as getting you out of "a pickle".
Old 07-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #3
Little Guy

We had the same thing happen to us. We drilled out the lockset and then replaced the lock assembly with a new one. This happened at midnight. Not fun.
2012 Laredo 294RK TT "Larry"
'09 Chevy 2500HD Crewcab, 6.0L vortec (gas)
*Wishin' for a diesel*
Equal-I-Zer sway control hitch

Life is good!
Little Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:33 AM   #4
richf28

Had this happen to us last week. After pushing and prying the door a bit it opened. I found the two screws that hold the lockset in the door jam side were missing.

Rich and Deb
Erie, PA
2011 Ford Screw with Ecoboost
2010 Keystone Hornet 28RLS
Hensley Hitch
richf28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:51 AM   #5
Elstonian

This may not be the same as your problem, but we just brought home a 2013 Cougar 324RLB last weekend and when we did our walkthrough the man didn't try any of the keys or say which ones were for what just said here ya go, well there were 2 for the slam latches, 2 for front compartment and 4 for the door, so I assumed (silly me) after I tried one on the front door and it didn't work that those keys didn't belong to our unit, so I put them in my purse and was going to send them back to the dealer. So it was raining and we decided to go into town and have pizza for dinner, I had trouble getting the key to lock the door but after some messing with it I got it to lock and went on our way, when we got back I couldn't get the door to unlock......after a few minutes of frustration I decided to try the other set of keys....and they worked fine....to make this long story short...lol...we have 2 doors that are keyed differently, maybe this is standard as we've only had 1 door before......soooo glad I had those keys in my purse!
Elstonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:41 AM   #6
SAABDOCTOR

Elstonian. hi our unit has 4 sets of keys!! 1 set for the front door 1 set for the rear door. 1 set for the slam latches and the old stand by 751 steel key for the battery compartment and outside slide and landing gear control panel door.Someone at keystone owns stock in the key company?
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:24 AM   #7
hankaye

DiannaSmith, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiannaSmith View Post
While trying to unlock our Cougar door this morning, we found ourselves in a pickle! the lock will not unlock! it feels like something is in the way. a locksmith is on his way. suggestions? the door has been sticking lately! help!
You haven't told us what model your Cougar is. Is it a 5th wheel or a TT???
If it's a TT you might want to take the pressure off of the stabilizers.
Sometimes you can over tighten them and cause the door fame to bind,
it will also cause the lock to bind as well. You could do the same with a 5th
wheel just a bit more difficult to do .....

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:10 AM   #8
Ayotte

Was told that the master keys that the dealers have will not open the deadbolt. Is this true?
Ayotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:57 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayotte View Post
Was told that the master keys that the dealers have will not open the deadbolt. Is this true?
That is true. The MASTER key will not unlock the deadbolt.... But, remember, the ring of keys (by key number) will unlock any lock (including the dead bolt) in that series.....

So, if the dealer's prep team has the master key only, they can not open your RV if the dead bolt is locked. If they have the set of 45 (I think it is) individual keys, then they can unlock it with the serial numbered key.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote