Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #1
tmpaes

Question Cougar Grey Tank Help

Just purchased a 2013 Cougar 21 RBSWE and need help figuring out the grey tanks. My understanding is their is a grey for the galley and one for the shower, so 2 grey tanks with what I would assume 2 valves.

Here is some background on my quandary. After getting the trailer home I sanitized the fresh water tank and ran water through the faucets for this task. Afterwards I wanted to drain the grey tanks with what I'm glad was plain water. As soon as I removed the waste discharge cover I receive a gush of water. 1st thought was a valve is open. I check the grey and black at the discharge and they are both closed. I then figure the grey for the galley is open, but I can't find it.

Attached are pictures of what I see. The slide was open while I did the walk through at the dealership and the dealer pointed to where the valve was, huge mistake on my part not forcing him to point it out.

Does anybody know if I'm missing something here? I haven't contacted the dealership yet, no service department on the weekends. Hoping one of the guru's here might have some ideas.

tmpaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
Ken / Claudia

I went and looked under minebut, it is a rear kicten. My has the handles coming out in the under belly cover. Test it by closing the gray handle put water down the sink and see if it flows out the drain/dump. I only guess that since your trailer and mine have listed the same water/holding tanks size that you have a galley tank. I do and the handle is rear of the side. When it was brand new. I filled all tanks in driveway and dumped them, no big deal it is/was clean water. I got out some plastic shavings and found the gauages worked etc. I dumped one tank at a time. I checked your floor plan, maybe the valve is on the right side under the trailer. I would check in the area of the sink at the frame or under belly. Good Luck.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
SoGaDually

Just guessing here...Most Galley Grey Tank pull levers are under the belly close to where the Kitchen is. You may need to craw under your camper and look for an opening in the under belly. It's going to be a small slit or hole where the pull handle is suppose to come through.
The Pull handles screws onto the valve stem, so there is a good chance that someone took it off of the camper while it was at the dealership to use on another for a repair and never replaced it. Dealerships are famous for robbing parts from one camper to use on another camper. To the best of my knowledge you should have 3 pull handles...
"Still Tree Hugger Friendly"
https://i653.photobucket.com/albums/u...46290d167a.jpg
SoGaDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
tmpaes

Solved Cougar Grey Tank Valve

Okay I solved my problem and wanted to post where I found it in case anyone else has the same issue.

I just couldn't believe that there wouldn't be a valve so I started poking around and cut back the coroplast to get a view and there was a threaded shaft tucked up above the line from the galley. No handle just the shaft.

Looks like it should have an extension and handle that was never installed. I was able to screw a 1/4-20 turnbuckle onto the shaft which gave me enough grip to operate the valve.

I'll call the dealer tomorrow and find out what the scoop is with the installation of handle for the valve.

Thank you all for the responses

tmpaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
Cougarfamily

Glad you found the problem. I have the same problem you had, except that our handle is not missing. Am afraid that the valve is broken inside the galley tank. At least it isn't the black or grey tanks.

2005 F-250 PSD 4X4 SWB
2012 Cougar 328QBS
B&W Companion hitch
Cougarfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #6
diugo
Permanent User Ban

If one of the valves fail open (or fail to close all the way for any reason), one way to avoid getting a face full every time you remove the cap is to buy this, yet another valve---but one that easily attaches to the waste outlet.

Valterra T58 twist-on valve, $22 http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-T.../dp/B000BGHYJS
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:11 PM   #7
Cougarfamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by diugo View Post
If one of the valves fail open (or fail to close all the way for any reason), one way to avoid getting a face full every time you remove the cap is to buy this, yet another valve---but one that easily attaches to the waste outlet.

Valterra T58 twist-on valve, $22 http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-T.../dp/B000BGHYJS
Thanks for the link. That should be the solution that I am looking for.

2005 F-250 PSD 4X4 SWB
2012 Cougar 328QBS
B&W Companion hitch
Cougarfamily is offline   Reply With Quote