Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #41
donnie_o8

OK ...I'm back. The dealer talked me into giving them one more crack at this thing so I did. they pretty much put it back the way it was the first time, The way I could tell is I took the measurements myself and knew what they were. Rolled outta there with the unit and it felt better then when I drug it in there but I am still gun shy at this point. That sway just happens at any given time so I'm still on the edge of the seat. I get her home no problem at all so I'm thinking "cool, finally got it". So this past weekend the wife and I head out to a place about 30 miles from home and It did it again...out of nowhere no semi in sight nothing near me but a few cars. It just goes into a violent sway. Its not really pitching the truck around much but the trailer is side to side bad. I get it back in line and we are now only going about 45 50 with a chunk of seat in my tail end. I get back home with it on Sunday and messed with it myself with the info I got from you guys here and measurements I took and found they had me light on the steering axle. I readjusted the head and put weight back up front and measured again. front of truck 36" and rear 38 3/4 without the trailer. With trailer front was 35 1/2 and the rear was 37 even. off for another ride and all was fine till a semi got right behind me and it did it again big time sway . I would bet the trailer moves 8" side to side of center when this happens, the truck stays relatively stable but I can feel it wanting to start to move as well. So Now I'm going to get rid of this friction sway mess and go with a whole new hitch set up. I can't stand the way this thing pulls . So my next question and I know there is a lot of personal opinion on this as I have been reading here for about two weeks on this subject, But I need help deciding on the "Blue Ox sway Pro" or the "Reese Dual Cam". The friction control is out. Oh yeah I talk to the dealer about taking the old hitch back and they wanted me to bring it back for a second friction bar....Told them no thanks I just want to return it.
donnie_o8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #42
Hansel

I'm giving my friction bar set up one more try, and if it doesn't tow well, I'm upgrading to the Reese Dual Cam set up, the dual cam set up on Amazon runs about $180-$200
2003 F-350 CCDRW 2X4 7.3L Powerstroke
Hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:15 PM   #43
x96mnn

Personally I own the Reese Dual cam and you will still get tugging in the rear. Freind of mine is going with the husky straight line and gets his rig tomorrow with our Irish ig haul this weekend and will let you know.

Look for a used Hensley hitch in our area, may surprise you what you can get one for.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #44
dhdb

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie_o8 View Post
OK ...I'm back. The dealer talked me into giving them one more crack at this thing so I did. they pretty much put it back the way it was the first time, The way I could tell is I took the measurements myself and knew what they were. Rolled outta there with the unit and it felt better then when I drug it in there but I am still gun shy at this point. That sway just happens at any given time so I'm still on the edge of the seat. I get her home no problem at all so I'm thinking "cool, finally got it". So this past weekend the wife and I head out to a place about 30 miles from home and It did it again...out of nowhere no semi in sight nothing near me but a few cars. It just goes into a violent sway. Its not really pitching the truck around much but the trailer is side to side bad. I get it back in line and we are now only going about 45 50 with a chunk of seat in my tail end. I get back home with it on Sunday and messed with it myself with the info I got from you guys here and measurements I took and found they had me light on the steering axle. I readjusted the head and put weight back up front and measured again. front of truck 36" and rear 38 3/4 without the trailer. With trailer front was 35 1/2 and the rear was 37 even. off for another ride and all was fine till a semi got right behind me and it did it again big time sway . I would bet the trailer moves 8" side to side of center when this happens, the truck stays relatively stable but I can feel it wanting to start to move as well. So Now I'm going to get rid of this friction sway mess and go with a whole new hitch set up. I can't stand the way this thing pulls . So my next question and I know there is a lot of personal opinion on this as I have been reading here for about two weeks on this subject, But I need help deciding on the "Blue Ox sway Pro" or the "Reese Dual Cam". The friction control is out. Oh yeah I talk to the dealer about taking the old hitch back and they wanted me to bring it back for a second friction bar....Told them no thanks I just want to return it.
Increase your tongue weight. Move some items forward inside the TT.
dhdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #45
LittleJoe

How much air do you have in your tires? You should have your rear truck tires at or very near the max cold air inflation on the sidewall. Your trailer tires should also be at or very near the max cold inflation level.

If the front of the truck is lower with trailer than without it sounds to me like you have not enough weight on the rear of truck. Your front fender measurement should not be more than 1/2" higher than unloaded.

If you are hooked up and walk to a distance and look at overall stance of the combined unit, your trailer should be slightly lower on tongue (off level). You need 13-15% of trailer weight on the tongue. The rear of truck should look like it has a load(down 2-3") from unloaded.
This truck should not be having issue with the weights you have posted for over all trailer weight.

You need 2 friction type sway bars (if this is what you are using), one on each side of tongue.
Set friction bar: from point of just barely being able to move bar by hand (because of friction drag)tighten bar 1 1/2 - 2turns. Make sure both sides are set the same. (remove these bars or release tension when you stop at campground entrance),

If setup still sways after this, you need a longer wheelbase truck. Understand that you will never eliminate 100%, but in case of IE: a bus passing you , going 20mph faster than you, you will feel the push, and trailer will wiggle slightly but should not last more than a second or two.

I have towed bumper pulls of all configurations with trucks of all types over the years and never been unable to correctly setup to eliminate sway if trailer weights are not grossly overloading tow vehilcle.

A hensley hitch will make all your issues go away within reason if your combination is reasonably matched.
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:36 PM   #46
donnie_o8

went last week and got the "Blue Ox Sway Pro" set up for the rig and let me tell ya.....What a difference... night and day between the two. We towed it over the holiday weekend in some pretty strong wing and WOW. Problem solved. I still cant get over it. Not one time did this thing get funnie. Stayed straight behind the truck and never felt the slightest bit wiggley. Now I look forward to going camping again. The friction sway as many of you said is just not enough. Thanks for all your help and advice everybody... I'll be around.
donnie_o8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:44 PM   #47
warsw

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie_o8 View Post
went last week and got the "Blue Ox Sway Pro" set up for the rig and let me tell ya.....What a difference... night and day between the two. We towed it over the holiday weekend in some pretty strong wing and WOW. Problem solved. I still cant get over it. Not one time did this thing get funnie. Stayed straight behind the truck and never felt the slightest bit wiggley. Now I look forward to going camping again. The friction sway as many of you said is just not enough. Thanks for all your help and advice everybody... I'll be around.
I found the same results as you with the "Blue Ox Sway Pro". Great hitch, easy to set up and works as advertised. Best hitch I have ever owned. The more you use it the more you will like it. If your trailer starts to sway now you have something else very wrong.