Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
Maxzd

Added Water Shut-off Valves

Typical RV has 3 drains for water. Fresh water drain from the fresh water tank, and two low point drains for hot and cold lines.

On occasion it's required to open these, usually during winterization, but sometimes just to flush sediment or stale water. If your setup is like mine, you have a cap on each drain. Works fine if you want to completely drain, but next to impossible to put the cap on once water is flowing.

The answer is shut off valves. I cut the 1/2" pex pipe leaving generous amounts on each side.

Next I took the original ends into the house and crimped the valve.

After that was done back out to the 5th wheel to crimp them onto the pex lines coming out of the unit. Took me a little bit to align the shut off valves and get the crimper to fit but mission accomplished.

Result is shut off valves and still the original caps if they accidentally opened, leaked or someone was messing around won't lose water.

I bought a similiar shut off valve for the fresh water tank. Unfortunately it won't work as the fresh water tank uses a 1/2" hose for the drain not pex. Didn't look before I left to go buy the fittings, I should have known it was hose not pex. Rather than hose clamp the pex valve and take a chance it leaks, I will get a hose-to-pex fitting or different shut off 1/2" hose valve for the fresh water tank. (potentially the fitting below, and add pex pipe and use the pex valve I bought). The shut off valve is cut a bit short on my unit, tough to get access to behind sewer pipe. I want to extend it anyway and I'll still have plenty of ground clearance, the spare tire sits way lower.

Total Install Time : 25 Minutes
Total Project Cost : $30.60 for 3 1/2" Pex Shut off Valves, 10 pack of 1/2" Pex Crimp Rings. Had the tools already, Pex Crimpers start at 50 bucks.

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Maxzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

PEX Crimping tools are pretty expensive. There are a couple of alternatives. You could rent one from True Value Hardware for about $5 a day or you could go on Ebay and bid on one. There are several "buy it now" with free shiping for about $30 or there are a couple of auctions that have a day or two left and are less than $10. When I bought mine from Ebay last year, I got it in an auction with free shipping for $6.00. So if you want to accomplish this very handy looking mod, don't think you'll have to buy the tool for $50+ and only use it once. There are alternatives

Nice mod Maxzd, thanks for sharing

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #3
SteveC7010

Another way to add shut-offs to the drains is to locate a supplier of the "Flair-It" fittings that are used throughout the trailers these days.

They have a 1/2" Straight Stop that would do the job:

In this particular case, the stop would slide on the tubing in place of the existing end cap fittings. The end cap itself should screw right on to the other side of the Straight Stop from the tubing.

I found this supplier after quite a bit of Googling. Once I figured out what the trade name for the fittings was, the search got a lot easier. I am not recommending this particular supplier, but they do have a good selection of the Flair-It fittings. I am certain that there are many other suppliers.

http://mobilehomepartsstore.com/Merc...ct_Code=160601

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #4
chuck&gail

THANKS! Just ordered two of those valves, appreciate the link. I'm handicapped and getting those caps off is really hard for me. Now I'll just throw the caps away!
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck&gail View Post
THANKS! Just ordered two of those valves, appreciate the link. I'm handicapped and getting those caps off is really hard for me. Now I'll just throw the caps away!
Chuck,

I don't know if you noticed, but over on the right hand column of the page I referenced, they offer a little hand tool for tightening and loosening the Flair-It fittings. It might be a good thing for you to have on hand when you replace the end caps, and perhaps for repairs or mods in the future.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
hankaye

Howdy All;

Kinda like these;

http://www.sharkbiteplumbing.com/fittings

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #7
CarKath

If I was doing same mod, I'd be using sharkbite fittings. Extremely user friendly. I have used for other tasks, love'm. Cost effective as well.

No cripping tools or any tools for that matter. Unless you buy a tool to take apart. Mine cost me $2.50

JMHO
Carl
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #8
LeftyS7

Question PEX hose v. Other Hose?

I bought a similar shut off valve for the fresh water tank. Unfortunately it won't work as the fresh water tank uses a 1/2" hose for the drain not pex. Didn't look before I left to go buy the fittings, /images.jpg[/IMG]

Why can't you use PEX fitting with any same size ID Hose? Can't you just clamp the hose and PEX with a screw type hose clamp? What is the difference between 1/2" ID PEX hose and other 1/2" hose?
LeftyS7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #9
hankpage
Site Team

1/2" Pex is the same size OD as 1/2' Copper and takes the same size "Shark-bite" fittings .... as mentioned before this is an easy and quick way to go. I keep assorted shapes and sizes in my tool box for on the road repairs. I put 1/2" PEX "(technically 5/8 OD nom copper) x 3/8" comp. straight stops (like what's on your toilet in your stick house) for low point drains. Fresh water drain is not Pex so a barbed fitting is needed. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #10
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyS7 View Post
Why can't you use PEX fitting with any same size ID Hose? Can't you just clamp the hose and PEX with a screw type hose clamp? What is the difference between 1/2" ID PEX hose and other 1/2" hose?
The barbs on 1/2" PEX fittings and the barbs on fittings designed for 1/2" hose are differently sized and shaped. Remember that the PEX barbs are clamped with the special PEX fitting. Worm clamps are best used on fittings with the right barbs and the softer hose material.

It's as much about the right part for the job as it is about the right tool for the job. I'm not opposed to McGyvering things when necessary, but if you're in the plumbing aisle at Home Depot already, it just makes good sense to purchase the proper part for the job. On the subject of cost, the last I looked, PEX fittings were more expensive than standard ones. If that is still the case, that would reinforce my thinking on the matter even more.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #11
cabinfever

Sharkbite and Pex are great! After using Pex one time with my brother in law plumber, I bought the crimp set. I think I paid $75 for it but well worth it. Pex saves so much time. Sharkbite follows closely behind the Pex. The only drawback are some of the Sharkbite items are a bit pricey compared to Pex. Both will make a plumber out of just about anyone.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #12
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
Another way to add shut-offs to the drains is to locate a supplier of the "Flair-It" fittings that are used throughout the trailers these days.

They have a 1/2" Straight Stop that would do the job:

In this particular case, the stop would slide on the tubing in place of the existing end cap fittings. The end cap itself should screw right on to the other side of the Straight Stop from the tubing.

I found this supplier after quite a bit of Googling. Once I figured out what the trade name for the fittings was, the search got a lot easier. I am not recommending this particular supplier, but they do have a good selection of the Flair-It fittings. I am certain that there are many other suppliers.

http://mobilehomepartsstore.com/Merc...ct_Code=160601
That's what I used. I simply replaced the screw on caps with these. Just about any RV dealership parts department should carry the Flair-it line. They are commonly used fittings and no big secret. I didn't see a need to even keep the caps since using them would be rather redundant.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:47 AM   #13
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
That's what I used. I simply replaced the screw on caps with these. Just about any RV dealership parts department should carry the Flair-it line. They are commonly used fittings and no big secret. I didn't see a need to even keep the caps since using them would be rather redundant.
I've been slowly cutting these into my water lines as I get the time... Next is the outdoor shower.... never use it so it will be cut off so I don't have to worry with draining it every time we go out during the winter.. Already done the toilet, shower, and sink in the bath...
Old 05-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #14
Stublejumper

Nice mod ,I think I will pick up the supplies tomorrow and complete this,thanks