Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #1
Htfiremedic

KOA on undercover boss

This has actually been a pretty good show so far. I wonder if he is really the kind of person that loves his job and cares about us, or if it is just for good PR.
Htfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htfiremedic View Post
This has actually been a pretty good show so far. I wonder if he is really the kind of person that loves his job and cares about us, or if it is just for good PR.

While not at all unusual for me, I seem to be missing something here. What "show" are you talking about? Who is "he" and what job does he have? "KOA on undercover boss???
Old 01-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
B&T

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undercover_Boss

Current episode featured the KOA Ceo as the undicover boss.
2003 R-Vision Traillite
B&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Is this another "reality" program? I guess I'll have to try to watch more TV --- if I could only find something worth watching. Thanks for the update B&T but I think I will pass on Undercover Boss.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
curlyfungirl

Will have to see if I can find it. We love that show.
Superlow Sportster
Heritage Softail Springer
2009-2012 VRI
curlyfungirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:34 PM   #6
Htfiremedic

It was actually a good episode. The CEO of KOA seemed like he really was interested in the KOA family and the community that it serves.
Htfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #7
f6bits

Interesting. That KOA is near where my parents live and I've thought about stopping by there. It's a pretty recent conversion to KOA and I hear spent a while upgrading it. There's a smaller campground across the stream from that KOA as well.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:03 AM   #8
hankpage
Site Team

I wonder why they didn't show any of the East coast parking lots .... I mean KOAs. Like Wal-mart with hookups.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:11 AM   #9
hankaye

hankpage, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
I wonder why they didn't show any of the East coast parking lots .... I mean KOAs. Like Wal-mart with hookups.
DUDE!!! He was drivin' his own (?) RV, the price of fuel would have busted
the episode production budget ..... You can tell they don't spend much. check-out
the cheesey rugs they get these dudes to wear. You'd think they were going to Clown College.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #10
Jim W

This was also free advertizing for KOA. Would you show a KOA campground across from RR tracks that have trains running all day and night long? Or show a KOA with so narrow and short sites that you need to ask the other camper to move their truck so you can pull out of your pull-thru site? Believe me I have been to these KOA campgrounds back east and in the St Louis MO area that are like this. And then out west in MT we stayed at KOA that had long level and large pull-thru sites with two sewer drains in each site go figure?
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:02 PM   #11
Outbackmel

Complain, complain, complain

KOA's are KOA's. Franchises owned either by caring owners needing to overcharge by location to pay for all of their investment, time and energy OR by major investors who hire teams to run the grounds.

I have stayed at many KOA's and my experiences have been very mixed.

The reality show, Undercover Boss" was interesting but certainly would not sway me one way or other to stay at a KOA versus another place. Word of mouth experience or RVPark Reviews type of websites have worked for me and that's the direction we will contnue to take.

I will say that the one segment of them showing the CEO cleaning the shower floor with a product and using the SAME rag on the kitchen counters has me questioning WHY? Why would you not stop this right then and NOW? They supposedly gave this maintenance guy training at the home office and $5,000, REALLY? Why was he not trained when he began working there?! I would have bought him a bus ticket out of town!

These reality shows are staged whether we like it or not. Here comes some crazy character with a camera crew....come on....ain't gonna buy that package. Like someone mentioned, 200 channels, nothing on except an uptick on our monthly cable bill.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #12
geo

All these reality shows are all staged - very little reality. That is not really all that surprising. Cheap production costs and high advertising sales. Doesn't mean that there isn't good in some of them. As far as the limited reality shows go that we watch, it seems as though "Undercover Boss" is one of the better staged shows. It is true to form, however, in that after the second or third management level, the manager/boss/CEO/etc. has absolutely no idea what actually goes into making the company run.

Now, Festus2, I will defend you on not knowing what "Undercover Boss" is! After all, I have no idea if CBC or other Canadian stations carry the show, if you have cable, or if you are close enough to the US-Canadian border to pick up Stateside TV. But overall, you/Outbackmel/and others are quite correct, there is little on commercial/cable/satellite television that has much merit to watch. Yet, personally, as a Boomer, I am mysteriously drawn to "The B**b Tube". But I also find it very easy to be drawn away from the TV screen also!

So, if you missed the "Undercover Boss" KOA episode, here is a link:

http://www.cbs.com/shows/undercover_boss/video/

I would guess that this link will only be accurate until the next show next week, so if you read this email past 1/18/13, I doubt if it will give you the correct show.

As far as criticisms of the show, really? That IS what goes on "in the real world". I thought it was excellent that the Chairman was upset at the cleaning procedures, was in character enough not to say anything until later, and did something to correct the situation! Even with $5000 to take the course! I would put the "cleaning" far behind . . . I mean, look just at this Forum and what has been found within our own RVs. Maybe the Chairman of Thor Industries needs to be "Undercover"! I think the show had some good merits inspite of being "staged reality".

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #13
hankaye

geo, Howdy;

That would be interesting ..... may even
get a glimps of "The Stolfitz Kid" in action
, ,

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:01 AM   #14
SAABDOCTOR

UNDER COVER? yet 50 weeks a year life goes on as normal.Then some stranger shows up with camers and a crew. and this is reality? oooook! back to work before the cameras show up!!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote