Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2022, 07:57 AM   #1
flugelboneman

Summit TV and Roku

thinking about Roku purchase for Summit. we already have amazon prime and netfliks. Do you have to pay additional fee with roku. Do you need tv cable hookup to use? which is best roku to buy for Summit TV. Recently acquired 27RES Cougar.
flugelboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 08:06 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

When we dumped Dish TV and went to streaming, I bought Roku Ultra 4K for each TV in our house and the camper. There is no fee for Roku itself but they can collect money if you subscribe to a pay streaming service. The Roku only takes a HDMI cable to connect to the television; I believe the stuff we got with the Roku was the power supply (120VAC adapter), the HDMI cable, remote (voice capable) and the Roku itself. I have both a 4G LTE booster and Wifi booster installed to be able to stream when camping to ensure a good signal either way.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 08:13 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I bought Rokus then the Amazon Firestick which I use now - I just prefer it.

To use either you will have to have some kind of wifi connection or cellular signal. If cell you have to have a very good data plan that has no throttling and is unlimited IMO, which costs money.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 09:26 AM   #4
dutchmensport

We have 6 Roku televisions, all different sizes. 2 of them are in the camper. They all use WIFI. If attached to an over the air antenna, you'll have the bottom 83, plus the dash 1, dash 2, dash 3 stations... normal over the air channels available, always. (depending on your location will determine how many stations you receive.

Then, if connected to wifi, you'll get an addition thousand available stations what is called "Live Television". If you use the Roku App on the television, you can flip over to "On Demand" programs or movies. All of this with no charge. You can also get Roku on any computer.

With a WIFI connection, you can also access other streaming video or live television apps off the internet. Many of them are completely free if you don't mind the advertisements. And they all offer a paid service to eliminate the advertisements and access some movies and shows. And some, let you "rent" a movie on demand.

In order to utilize a Roku television, you do need access to a WIFI internet service that is fast enough to handle streaming video. We use our cell phones and have both AT&T and Visible (truly unlimited... which uses the Verison network).

The end result is a mind blowing amount of television programming. We never watch over the air television any more, haven't watched the news or weather at all since January 6, 2021, and after all this time, am still blown away at the amount of viewing available, stuff we've not seen, all new to us.

All you need is a wifi connection and you are good to go. We do subscribe to Amazon Prime. That's the only one we subscribe to because we are an Amazon Prime shopper and have an account.
Old 06-09-2022, 09:51 AM   #5
81SHOVELHEAD

We have a 2021 Montana High Country 295RL. It came with a Jensen TV . Was thinking about replacing it with a smart TV. Being hearing impaired even @ volume level @ 80 with hearing aids could barley understand the words. While walking around Wal Mart i stumbled across a ROKU 32" sound bar with built in streaming device. No more needing my i pad or phone for streaming . Picture is a lot better & now i can understand with volume @ 24 without my hearing aids. Best 129.00 bucks i ever spent . All my streaming apps are now easy access on TV screen . Rv is parked 100 ft from our home WiFi modum with no issues picking up the signal.
Sound bar comes with everything needed for hookup . All you need is an available HDMI port . & 120volt outlet for power.
Old 06-10-2022, 06:08 AM   #6
ljdriscoll

As has been stated Roku will use WIFI. If you use the campground you will be at the mercy of other people streaming. This will cause a lot of reloading of the program or movie you are watching. Not always enjoyable.

2014 Cougar 33RES
2020 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 V8
ljdriscoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 08:44 AM   #7
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81SHOVELHEAD View Post
We have a 2021 Montana High Country 295RL. It came with a Jensen TV . Was thinking about replacing it with a smart TV. ....
Ours came with 2 Furrion televisions, not smart televisions. We had the Roku televisions in the house and, actually did not know about the streaming video apps and stations for a couple years. We watched over the air and never set up the internet connection on the televisions. We didn't realize they were even capable of it, and actually, never though of it.

Well, one died in our house master bedroom and we replaced it with another Roku (only bigger), and when we turned it on, it somehow connected to our home wifi. We were shocked when the stations kept rolling up past 100, and even over 1000. We couldn't figure out what was going on. (really... we were that dumb on the matter).

Now, my son lives with us and he's a computer geek, actually a computer program developer and into all the latest stuff, especially because of his job, we asked him what was going on with that television. He said it's picking up the internet Roku station ... um .... OK .... WOW!

So, we navigated around on the big one in the living room hanging over the fireplace and sure enough, connected it to our home wifi! Surprise!

Well, we pretty much live in our camper when home, and we decided we REALLY wanted the streaming video - television, Roku in the camper. So, long story short, we ended up purchasing a small Roku television for $88 from Wall Mart and just set it in front of the bigger television in the camper living room. My wife (and I use to until I retired) works from home (computer software tester) and we work from the camper a lot, on the road. Introduce Visible with a portable router, and presto! Unlimited internet anywhere we go, streaming television anywhere we go.

Now, the original television is still plugged into the antenna on the roof of the camper. Flipping the coax cable back and forth is not something we wanted to do, so we just move the small television out of the way and watch the bigger one when we want over-the-air television.

And, the small one is small enough, we can take it outside, set it on a picnic table and watch the streaming stations there. (which is why I never wanted to attach it to the wall or replace the original.

It worked so well, I discovered with with HMDI cable, it worked as a really great computer monitor and worked fantastic with my company provided laptop. I now, no longer had to drag along a second monitor. I had this one.

But, now we needed the second one in the camper as I was using the Roku for a monitor. So, we picked up the second one and use it in the camper bedroom the same way as in the living room, except, it's positioned in such a way we don't have to move it to watch the original television over-the-air.

I retired in January of this year, so no longer use the Roku as a monitor. But we still haver the 2 in the camper, one in each of the rooms. We also have 2 sound bars which are hooked up to all 4 televisions and work very well.

So, I don't know if you tossed out the original television or not, but if you did not, you've got all kinds of possible uses you can use that Roku television for! The end of your imagination is the only limit!