Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2022, 07:35 AM   #1
Ap4840

Aftermarket wheels for 5th wheel

I have 2008 cougar 276RLS with the original "wagon wheels" . Id like to update to an alloy wheel but am concerned because of the easy lube center cap. I'm wondering if that limits me to wheel choices that will fit, has anyone changed from the factory wheel with the easy lube hubs? Thank you in advance! I have the 15" Wheels.
Ap4840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 11:44 AM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ap4840 View Post
I have 2008 cougar 276RLS with the original "wagon wheels" . Id like to update to an alloy wheel but am concerned because of the easy lube center cap. I'm wondering if that limits me to wheel choices that will fit, has anyone changed from the factory wheel with the easy lube hubs? Thank you in advance! I have the 15" Wheels.
Personally I'll NEVER use and also recommend others to NEVER use the EZ Lube feature! Unless you are 110% confident in the rears seals you'll risk filling the brake drums with grease, which doesn't improve braking. The best option, only option for me, is wheel/hub removal & hand packing bearings ONLY.
So I'd say don't worry about covering that plug with a center cap, but be more focused on whether the chosen wheels are capable of handling the rv weights required & the appropriate air pressures to handle those weights.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 11:50 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

If your dead set on using the zerk, you can get center caps that have a removable center, or open ended.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 12:49 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I think the question, if I read correctly, is not whether or not to use the EZ Lube feature, but rather, will he have problems finding wheels to fit the axles with the EZ Lube hubs on it? In other words, can the OP even find wheels to fit his hubs and if so, will his center caps fit the wheels...

The answer to that "slant on the question" is this:

You say you have 15" wheels with EZ Lube hubs. The 15" Sendel T-03 wheel in 5 lug configuration uses a 3.19" center cap. You can find that center cap available with or without the end plug to access the EZ Lube zerk fitting.

The 15" Sendel T-03 wheel in 6 lug configuration uses a 4.25" center cap. You will likely have problems finding that center cap WITHOUT the end cap, so you'll likely have to buy ones intended for the EZ Lube system. That doesn't mean you "have to use the EZ Lube"... Just that the center caps will be fitted for their use.

Depending on the lug configuration of your hubs, you can easily find aluminum wheels to fit both the 5 lug and the 6 lug hubs... The center caps you currently have, if they are 3.19 (5 lug wheels) or 4.25 (6 lug wheels) may fit your new wheels, but if you're spending $500-600 for new wheels, you'll probably also want to spend another $40 for "shiny new center caps"

MAKE SURE, IF YOU BUY NEW WHEELS, THAT YOU BUY TRAILER WHEELS, NOT PRETTY AUTOMOTIVE WHEELS !!!!! ALL KEYSTONE TRAILERS USE 0 DEGREE OFFSET "LUG CENTRIC" WHEELS... Few automotive wheels will have those features....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 01:50 PM   #5
Ap4840

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Personally I'll NEVER use and also recommend others to NEVER use the EZ Lube feature! Unless you are 110% confident in the rears seals you'll risk filling the brake drums with grease, which doesn't improve braking. The best option, only option for me, is wheel/hub removal & hand packing bearings ONLY.
So I'd say don't worry about covering that plug with a center cap, but be more focused on whether the chosen wheels are capable of handling the rv weights required & the appropriate air pressures to handle those weights.
Thank you very much for the response! Honestly, I'm pretty naive with the mechanics of this Camper. I didn't realize that I didn't need to have the center cap on the hub. So if I remove the wheel and large center cap hub, do I need to buy anything else to cover the hub after the old one is removed? Or can I just get new wheels/ tires and have them mounted up directly? Thanks again.
Old 04-21-2022, 01:53 PM   #6
Ap4840

Quote:
Thank you very much for the response! Honestly, I'm pretty naive with the mechanics of this Camper. I didn't realize that I didn't need to have the center cap on the hub. So if I remove the wheel and large center cap hub, do I need to buy anything else to cover the hub after the old one is removed? Or can I just get new wheels/ tires and have them mounted up directly? Thanks again.
Also, I have the 6 lug setup. Thanks
Old 04-21-2022, 01:59 PM   #7
Ap4840

Ok, I just re-read your response, I think I read it wrong at first, looks like you've very thoroughly answered my question. Thanks again very much!!
Old 04-21-2022, 03:42 PM   #8
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Ok, I just re-read your response, I think I read it wrong at first, looks like you've very thoroughly answered my question. Thanks again very much!!
Couple things. First, put together a signature with year make and model of camper and same for tow vehicle. Under UserCP at top/left of every page. Next take a picture of a "wagon wheel". It would also show your lug nut set up. Good luck.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 04:49 PM   #9
Ap4840

Thank you, I missed all that and just got it updated!

Tags
5th wheel