Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2022, 01:35 PM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Is this the link you intended to post?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 06:53 PM   #22
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Is this the link you intended to post?
Yes, they cast and machine the drums.
That is their mold mark.
I've bought raw castings from them.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 11:32 AM   #23
RickV

Well it's been 8 days since emailed [email protected] about the blown tire and the damage it caused. All I got was a read receipt last Monday. So I guess they don't really stand behind their products and @HiSpec was full of it. I have been busy with other projects around the Ponderosa and will probably get around to it early next week. I plan to trim up all the hanging fabric material, pick up some insulation, this tape https://smile.amazon.com/underbelly-...14&sr=8-9&th=1 and after I put it on spray the whole thing heavily with spray undercoating. Also need to bend some metal brackets back into place, straighten out the metal skirting and make one bracket. I also need to order the plastic fender wheel skirt. Will post pics after I am done.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 12:17 PM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Rick did you ever PM him? I think a failure to reply to that would be pretty definitive.

Edit: The last time that happened to me the darco fabric was adhered to the bottom of the floor/top of the wheelwell with spray on adhesive. That fabric will want to "move" and possibly come loose if it's not glued in some way I'm afraid. Also if it's not that spray undercoating will just pull on it and probably eventually pull it off. How is the original attached?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 12:56 PM   #25
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Rick did you ever PM him? I think a failure to reply to that would be pretty definitive.

Edit: The last time that happened to me the darco fabric was adhered to the bottom of the floor/top of the wheelwell with spray on adhesive. That fabric will want to "move" and possibly come loose if it's not glued in some way I'm afraid. Also if it's not that spray undercoating will just pull on it and probably eventually pull it off. How is the original attached?
I never PM'ed him I did post a link to this thread in the HISPEC tire thread https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...t=42278&page=4 I figured he would get a notification if he was subscribed to it and like wiredgeorge said he hasn't logged on since November. Their warranty people saw my email and couldn't even bother to reply.

As for the repairs it looks like that tape has good adhesion and I had thought about putting some small self tapping screws with washers to make sure it stays in place but I am open for suggestions.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 03-30-2022, 01:24 PM   #26
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
Went out this AM and had my 5 new Saliun S637's mounted at Mavis Tire, "Thanks again Danny" I owe you lunch or something. The guy had originally quoted me around $850 when I called but my CC only got charged $794 when I called and ordered them. When I got there I asked him if he wanted me to pay the difference he said no it is ok. Worked out to less then $160 per tire mounted, balanced and the government's cut. I was kinda worried about the Date Code but they are 45/21 that is like mid November which isn't too bad. Still mo word from Hi-Spec other then a "Read Receipt" to my email on Monday 🤬 not holding out any hope from them. Talked to the guy who mounted the new tires he said that the tire on the white rim (the spare) had started separating on the inside, that surprised me since it was only used twice for a total of about 300 miles. He said he only put 100 psi in the tires and recommended to keep em at that claiming that they would go up to over 110 once I started towing. I will bump em up to 110 anyway. Will repack the bearings and inspect the brakes one day next week.
When I bought my ancient 5th wheel, it had aged out Carlisles on it but they were in decent shape. I bought four new Radial Trails and got them put on by the tire shop in Castroville. The spare had never been on the road as it had the little dimples on the center tread. It was not a Carlisle and I can't recall the brand but a couple months later while parked at my property in my slip, it blew up... big ol' chunk was laying on the ground. That was a shock so now I have a bona fide spare that I keep aired properly.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 02:59 PM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I never PM'ed him I did post a link to this thread in the HISPEC tire thread https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...t=42278&page=4 I figured he would get a notification if he was subscribed to it and like wiredgeorge said he hasn't logged on since November. Their warranty people saw my email and couldn't even bother to reply.

As for the repairs it looks like that tape has good adhesion and I had thought about putting some small self tapping screws with washers to make sure it stays in place but I am open for suggestions.

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...t=42278&page=2

Rick click on the above link, go to post 28, click on HiSpecs name as poster then send him a PM from the list of actions on the left. I think that will generate a different kind of notification to him and hopefully he would respond. If not it's not saying much for HiSpec, their tires or "industry representative".

As far as the repairs, what are you going to put that adhesive tape on? It sticks good but if it's like what I used once, and it looks like it, it isn't really permanent. You mentioned putting on insulation, are you going to put that under the tape or ??? Another issue with the darco (or repair tape) in the top of the wheelwell is that it will get perforated by stones and road debris then let water (and retain it) right onto the bottom of that plywood you have a picture of. Some folks have lined the wheelwells with metal, uhmw etc. to protect what I consider a weak point. If you're going to fix that one you might consider repairing it with a permanent solution along with the other 3??
Old 03-31-2022, 02:28 AM   #28
RickV

Quote:
https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...t=42278&page=2

Rick click on the above link, go to post 28, click on HiSpecs name as poster then send him a PM from the list of actions on the left. I think that will generate a different kind of notification to him and hopefully he would respond. If not it's not saying much for HiSpec, their tires or "industry representative".

As far as the repairs, what are you going to put that adhesive tape on? It sticks good but if it's like what I used once, and it looks like it, it isn't really permanent. You mentioned putting on insulation, are you going to put that under the tape or ??? Another issue with the darco (or repair tape) in the top of the wheelwell is that it will get perforated by stones and road debris then let water (and retain it) right onto the bottom of that plywood you have a picture of. Some folks have lined the wheelwells with metal, uhmw etc. to protect what I consider a weak point. If you're going to fix that one you might consider repairing it with a permanent solution along with the other 3??
OK I sent him a PM even though he has not been active since 11-2-2021 not holding my breath.

I read what you posted and thought about a more permanent solution, I think I will get some sheet metal (flashing type material) something like this https://www.lowes.com/pd/Union-Corru...ing/5002174375 and screw it to the metal frame, put some heavy duty caulking on the edges and then spray with undercoating. I can do this on both sides and it should seal up better then the original stuff.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 03-31-2022, 05:09 AM   #29
sourdough
Site Team

With the PM sent I think you've done everything anyone could do to give him an opportunity as the "industry rep" for HiSpec. We'll see if they stand behind their products or not.

I've not used sheet metal to line a wheel well although I've had a trailer with it. It did get dinged and sort of deformed in spots and a couple of sharp edges came out over time.

You might look into uhmw or a similar polymer product. I use it under the slides and have the pieces cut to go in the wheel wells of this trailer, just didn't have time to get them in before I left. John (JRTJH) has put them on his trailer and took pics. You could do a search for uhmw and see if you can't find that, it's been a couple of years seems like. He may also read this thread and be able to post them. The uhmw is easy to work with, very strong, doesn't dent/bend and doesn't have sharp edges that cut. I'm posting a link to one supplier but there are others. All poly products are not the same and uhmw is a specific product with specific qualities that others won't have.

https://www.interstateplastics.com/U...calculate.y=27
Old 03-31-2022, 08:15 AM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Here's one 20 page thread on wheelwell "reinforcement" (beefing up the DARCO fabric)... https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=39472 My photos are on the second page in post #19. It's been about 4 years since I did the install and other than "crusty mud" caked on the plastic sheeting, it's as solid and as waterproof as it was the day I installed it....

I have no "illusions" that the plastic would protect the underlying structure from an exploding tire at 70MPH, but then neither would anything short of a 2" tire cage which is totally impractical on any trailer. Weight and relative strength are the beneficial factors that led me to using the 1/4" HDPE sheeting from Menards. It's available for about $75 per 4x8 sheet and one sheet will do your trailer wheelwells. When I bought mine, it was around $25/sheet....
https://www.menards.com/main/buildin...6259904&ipos=1

I chose this product because it's the same plastic sheet used to line the walls in milking parlors on a dairy farm. If it'll survive cows kicking it and running into it for years, I concluded it would survive a few pebbles thrown against it by trailer tire treads. So far, I've been right, at least on my trailer.

If I had a problem with my wheelwells, I'd do the same project using the same material again....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 02:35 AM   #31
RickV

Finished my repairs yesterday not perfect but will do the job. I ended up having to cut one of the supports off as it was bent so bad that instead of being perpendicular to the frame it was parallel to it. I replaced it with a heavy duty wall shelf bracket. I bent the skirt back the best I could but it is still noticeable. I also got threaded screws and castle nuts for the fender skirt. I put the new Saliuns on it and setup up the new TPMS.
On another note HiSpec contacted me and only offered to warranty the tire and only if I filled out some long form. I told em that I was hoping to get some kind of compensation for the damage that their tire did (Crickets).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220418_152424229.PORTRAIT.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	39331   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220418_152445320.PORTRAIT.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	39332   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220418_152334435.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	39333   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220417_172047101.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	39334  

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 04-19-2022, 05:06 AM   #32
curtiscapk

Actually looks pretty good! Nice work!
2013 F150 5.0 2WD
Equalizer 4 WDH
Overland Park, KS
curtiscapk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 05:10 AM   #33
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Finished my repairs yesterday not perfect but will do the job. I ended up having to cut one of the supports off as it was bent so bad that instead of being perpendicular to the frame it was parallel to it. I replaced it with a heavy duty wall shelf bracket. I bent the skirt back the best I could but it is still noticeable. I also got threaded screws and castle nuts for the fender skirt. I put the new Saliuns on it and setup up the new TPMS.
On another note HiSpec contacted me and only offered to warranty the tire and only if I filled out some long form. I told em that I was hoping to get some kind of compensation for the damage that their tire did (Crickets).

Rick have you tried that slide yet? I'm wondering about that bookshelf bracket contacting the slide when it closes?? The first pic with the flimsy bracket bent like an L looks like those on my previous trailer. They were bent that way because they would come in contact with the slide upon closure if they weren't bent pretty sharp. Didn't do much for support and I used thicker material but just wanted to make sure you didn't get a surprise. Good looking job.
Old 04-19-2022, 05:30 AM   #34
RickV

Quote:
Rick have you tried that slide yet? I'm wondering about that bookshelf bracket contacting the slide when it closes?? The first pic with the flimsy bracket bent like an L looks like those on my previous trailer. They were bent that way because they would come in contact with the slide upon closure if they weren't bent pretty sharp. Didn't do much for support and I used thicker material but just wanted to make sure you didn't get a surprise. Good looking job.
That bracket is actually at the back of the wheel well, it was the rear tire that blew up the slapping tire is what bent it. I have had that slide in and out a couple of times since I did the repairs no issues. In the picture of the other bracket there were gaps in placing the metal flashing I didn't have any expanding foam so I used Gorilla Black tape and sprayed the crap outta it with undercoating. I will check it out the first time I travel with it (May 12th) and if the tape is gone I will put expanding foam there.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 04-21-2022, 11:23 AM   #35
RickV

I put my new tires on after posting the above. After getting them all on and torqued down I noticed that the spare tire didn't have any balancing weights on it so, pulled off one tire and it didn't either. I had just assumed they were balanced and never bothered to look at the inside of the wheels. So I took off one of the tires and it wasn't balanced either. I looked at the receipt and they had charged me for "Computer Balancing" so I call em and they said bring em in, yesterday I had a appointment to have some ultrasound testing done so I threw em in the truck and dropped em off before my appointment. They had em done when I got back and now they are remounted and torqued. Moral of the story never assume always check.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 04-21-2022, 11:34 AM   #36
JRTJH
Site Team

Don't you "just love it" when you wind up doing something two or three times because somebody else didn't do their job ????? And, no doubt, when you dropped them off, rather than being apologetic about not doing what they were supposed to do, they "presented the appearance of doing you a favor" by making it a priority to get them done right away so you won't be inconvenienced.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-21-2022, 12:44 PM   #37
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Don't you "just love it" when you wind up doing something two or three times because somebody else didn't do their job ????? And, no doubt, when you dropped them off, rather than being apologetic about not doing what they were supposed to do, they "presented the appearance of doing you a favor" by making it a priority to get them done right away so you won't be inconvenienced.....
Were you spying on me

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 04-21-2022, 01:02 PM   #38
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Were you spying on me
Nope... But I "feel your frustration".. Can't count the number of times that I've bit my tongue rather than go to jail after saying how I really, REALLY feel...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS