Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2022, 04:42 PM   #21
firestation12

What was the final findings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas4972 View Post
I have 4 stickers on my trailer that state solar ready. My dealer also confirmed this. My question was, where are the wires.?
I went out and bought a toner/trace and was able to trace wires from roof port to the passenger side of pass through. Also found inverter Romex. Still confused on why you're explaining a charge controller when the question was where are the wires?

Just to clear up this thread, after using a toner to locate the wires you were looking for, were they behind a panel that you had to cut a hole, or behind a cover plate or some other opening? This information might help someone else that finds this thread, and is looking to solve a similar issue. Glad you persevered and didn't have to drag the trailer back to the dealer! Please add another punch to your man card.
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 05:11 PM   #22
Thomas4972

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestation12 View Post
Just to clear up this thread, after using a toner to locate the wires you were looking for, were they behind a panel that you had to cut a hole, or behind a cover plate or some other opening? This information might help someone else that finds this thread, and is looking to solve a similar issue. Glad you persevered and didn't have to drag the trailer back to the dealer! Please add another punch to your man card.
After cutting 3 holes on drive side of TT pass through, I was able to locate the wires using a $25 Amazon wire tracer/toner hooked up to the dual port zamp box n roof. Followed the wires from port to front end of cap. Climbed down and used probe in pass through to locate wires behind the paneling on the front cap towards passenger side opposite hook up side which is so backwards of keystone. Wires were located 4 inches from pad through led light. Cut a 2 inch hole pulled 10 awg wires through, fished the Romex to the 3 holes I first cut to hook up side for inverter. Bought 2 4x4 gang plates to cover other two holes.
Thomas4972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 08:16 PM   #23
firestation12

Good planning to confine your inspection holes to a size that would cover with standard blank covers! With 20/20 hindsight, removing the LED pass through light for inspection, would have been a good move. Thanks for the followup!
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 06:03 AM   #24
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas4972 View Post
After cutting 3 holes on drive side of TT pass through, I was able to locate the wires using a $25 Amazon wire tracer/toner hooked up to the dual port zamp box n roof. Followed the wires from port to front end of cap. Climbed down and used probe in pass through to locate wires behind the paneling on the front cap towards passenger side opposite hook up side which is so backwards of keystone. Wires were located 4 inches from pad through led light. Cut a 2 inch hole pulled 10 awg wires through, fished the Romex to the 3 holes I first cut to hook up side for inverter. Bought 2 4x4 gang plates to cover other two holes.

"behind the paneling on the front cap towards passenger side opposite hook up side which is so backwards of keystone."

And opposite of what I've seen/researched! Thanks for the followup.

Jay
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 01:03 PM   #25
Thomas4972

Found wires

Here are the pictures of where I located the wires. They were on the opposite side of where most trailers were wired. As you can see the wires are cut, there was no loop one string of wires comes from the solar roof cap port and the other one goes to a splice then through the Gigi box. When I call keystone about this they were scratching their heads. I've called numerous times to ask for a tech and never got a response. I talked to my dealer who is a large keystone dealer in Virginia and told me he's been noticing a lot of covid rigs with different locations for all things. Well after three holes in my paneling I found them.

I will say before you start cutting holes, invest in a wire Turner tracer. This will save you a ton of time, and holes in your RV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220302_204806583.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	266.2 KB
ID:	38563   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220302_205032929.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	289.1 KB
ID:	38564   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220302_205139559.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	384.5 KB
ID:	38565  
Old 03-02-2022, 01:33 PM   #26
jxnbbl

Did you ever find the inverter loop?
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 02:09 PM   #27
Thomas4972

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
Did you ever find the inverter loop?
Yes it was above wire zip tied to metal cross beam
Old 01-24-2024, 12:01 PM   #28
Hosfom

Inverter

I know this post is old but I'm just looking into solar on my Passport now and your findings have been extremely helpful. Did you end up installing an inverter and if so which one did you use? Also, thank you for taking the time to follow up on your original post.
Hosfom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outback, solar