Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2022, 12:19 PM   #21
Rob1955
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawsmon View Post
If I'm dead serious about purchasing an RV then the answer is YES. Dewinterize and do a complete functional test of all systems is complete. It's fairly simple to rewinterize once the testing is complete. If this isn't done then Buyer Beware!! If you find a problem when you go to use it for the first time then you're stuck.
If it's a reputable dealer then he will understand my concern and will do what's necessary to make sure I'm comfortable with the condition of the RV.
The bottom line is to know before you purchase. Otherwise, be willing to live with the consequences since most used RV's are sold "AS is, Where is".
Maybe reading this would save time:

https://www.yelp.com/not_recommended...idian-meridian

No they are not going to pull each trailer inside and fill and test all systems,, get real
Old 02-12-2022, 12:22 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1955 View Post
So, you think said dealer is going to do this how many times and for how many units. You do realize they have to move more than one trailer right? I looked at 4 that day, not one was right up front... get serious
I believe he is "dead serious" and I feel EXACTLY the same way...

We're not talking about a "tire kicking search for possible trailers". But, rather, the one I'm ready to put my deposit on for the dealer to "service it for delivery". When I get to that point in the transaction, I couldn't care less how damn many trailers the dealer has to get ready in a day or a week or even all winter. I ONLY CARE ABOUT ONE TRAILER (mine) and it's not going anywhere until I know it's like I expect it to be BEFORE I sign any committment for purchase. I'll buy it, but ONLY after the dealer has serviced it and everything is functional and meets my expectations. Otherwise, it'll sit right there and he can either fix it or we'll hold up the contract closure until he does. My money, my rules....

That said, some common sense has to come into play. I'm not going to demand a complete paint job for a scratch on the bumper, or a new sofa because there's a stain that we all saw and accepted during the inital showing... But, if all the systems aren't in working order and undamaged, I fully expect those parts to be repaired or replaced. Otherwise, no deal.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-12-2022, 12:25 PM   #23
jasin1

I think I’ve seen this movie before …it’s gettin old real quick…hate to see a business get bashed when the responsibility falls on the buyer mostly.

Can’t we move on to solvable problems? This feels like the Groundhog day movie

I mean you no disrespect
Happy camping sir. May you find some happiness in your future ..
Old 02-12-2022, 12:35 PM   #24
jawsmon

I'm sorry if my opinion doesn't line up with yours. I know what works for me. If you don't agree with me then I'm fine with that. I'm not trying to offend you in any way, just telling you what I do personally. Sorry if I got you riled up.

Happy RVing.
Old 02-12-2022, 12:55 PM   #25
Rob1955
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I believe he is "dead serious" and I feel EXACTLY the same way...

We're not talking about a "tire kicking search for possible trailers". But, rather, the one I'm ready to put my deposit on for the dealer to "service it for delivery". When I get to that point in the transaction, I couldn't care less how damn many trailers the dealer has to get ready in a day or a week or even all winter. I ONLY CARE ABOUT ONE TRAILER (mine) and it's not going anywhere until I know it's like I expect it to be BEFORE I sign any committment for purchase. I'll buy it, but ONLY after the dealer has serviced it and everything is functional and meets my expectations. Otherwise, it'll sit right there and he can either fix it or we'll hold up the contract closure until he does. My money, my rules....

That said, some common sense has to come into play. I'm not going to demand a complete paint job for a scratch on the bumper, or a new sofa because there's a stain that we all saw and accepted during the inital showing... But, if all the systems aren't in working order and undamaged, I fully expect those parts to be repaired or replaced. Otherwise, no deal.
Ok, you found that one trailer that you want, now the dealer takes it in and services it right? we're not talking multiple trailers you might purchase, the one.. so what are we going to check, FW tank, grey water tank, black water tank, refirgerator, A/C If it is equipped the TV and stereo.. you see where I'm heading..
Souldn't this work be done when the trailer is brought in for a trade, what determines the trade in value?
Old 02-12-2022, 12:59 PM   #26
Rob1955
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I think I’ve seen this movie before …it’s gettin old real quick…hate to see a business get bashed when the responsibility falls on the buyer mostly.

I mean you no disrespect
Next stop, the Better Business Bureau. What other people say about you, does sway opinions, and ity's one reason I steered clear of camping world... There use to be a magazine called Consumer report, that took no advertising money,, I trusted what they had to say...
Old 02-12-2022, 01:04 PM   #27
Rob1955
Gone Traveling

Quote:

I mean you no disrespect
I see so 115 people that posted on Yelp are all liars. How about the BBB? All liars?
Old 02-12-2022, 01:06 PM   #28
jasin1

I’d say then why didn’t you research the dealer on Yelp before you purchased a trailer that you didn’t fully check out before you bought it…I always check reviews of places I buy from…big purchases…I’m done sir have a good day
Old 02-12-2022, 01:15 PM   #29
Rob1955
Gone Traveling

Yes unfortuneatly I hadn't heard of Yelp, until after the purchase, but in hind sight, it should have been done.. I have been assured by the dealer that issue with the FW tank will be taken care of, now the air space between the water heater, falls on me, but when we did the walk through, the service man didn't have a screw driver to remove the panel.. The panel had been destroyed by many removals, so it's in my shop to be rebuilt. I did not notice that you could watch the cars drive by, until I removed it myslef
Old 02-12-2022, 01:16 PM   #30
wiredgeorge

Quote:
I’d say then why didn’t you research the dealer on Yelp before you purchased a trailer that you didn’t fully check out before you bought it…I always check reviews of places I buy from…big purchases…I’m done sir have a good day
Brian, Points well made and best to leave the OP to his own devices. Your point was well made.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
Old 02-12-2022, 01:18 PM   #31
chuckster57
Site Team

This will be my last post to this thread:

Dealers are NOT in the business of doing a "check" (PDI) twice, so to think they will do a check when someone trades it in is a bit of wishful thinking. I can tell you from experience that what the customer discloses (or doesn't) can affect the sale of the new unit....seen it first hand. Deal was renegoiated and the cost of repair was added to price of new unit, only because both transactions happened at the same time. There has been couple that "beat" the dealer because we didnt have the staff available to do a check at time of trade in, Which is in itself another thread.

You can go to any agency you choose and complain all you want, but in the end I bet that dealer doesnt change their habits and sales dont suffer.

As I said before, I wish you all the best in the future.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 02-12-2022, 01:21 PM   #32
jawsmon

Not all dealers are as good as 'Josh the RV nerd' (see youtube videos by him). The dealer goes by blue book values and assumes everything works unless there is something glaringly obvious. Unless you know the dealer has a great reputation then it's a case of 'Buyer Beware'. I have bought many used RV's and have never ran into resistance when I wanted to do a functional test of all systems. Yes we have had to put in suffient water to safely operate the hot water tank, water pump, shower and sink valves. Turning on the propane tank and operating the cooktop, oven and furnace is pretty straightforward. Operating the refer on both gas and 12V is easy as well. Operating in and out the awnings and slides is all very easy to do. I've even had to hook up a generator to operate the AC system. I only go this far when I've narrowed it down to one and I'm ready to sign the purchase/sales agreement. I don't do this when I'm in the process of narrowing the field (tire kicking).
When it was a motor home then there were a few more checks including a test drive.
If he's reputable then he will coopertate fully with making sure everything is up to snuff.
If he balks or doesn't want to do any of this then I am ready to walk away. I do't have time to deal with someone who's only interested in a quick sale over making a customer happy. There are loads of used RV's and lot's of dealers. I don't have time for smooth talkers and shenanigans.
Old 02-12-2022, 01:24 PM   #33
Rob1955
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawsmon View Post
Not all dealers are as good as 'Josh the RV nerd' (see youtube videos by him). The dealer goes by blue book values and assumes everything works unless there is something glaringly obvious. Unless you know the dealer has a great reputation then it's a case of 'Buyer Beware'. I have bought many used RV's and have never ran into resistance when I wanted to do a functional test of all systems. Yes we have had to put in suffient water to safely operate the hot water tank, water pump, shower and sink valves. Turning on the propane tank and operating the cooktop, oven and furnace is pretty straightforward. Operating the refer on both gas and 12V is easy as well. Operating in and out the awnings and slides is all very easy to do. I've even had to hook up a generator to operate the AC system. I only go this far when I've narrowed it down to one and I'm ready to sign the purchase/sales agreement. I don't do this when I'm in the process of narrowing the field (tire kicking).
When it was a motor home then there were a few more checks including a test drive.
If he's reputable then he will coopertate fully with making sure everything is up to snuff.
If he balks or doesn't want to do any of this then I am ready to walk away. I do't have time to deal with someone who's only interested in a quick sale over making a customer happy. There are loads of used RV's and lot's of dealers. I don't have time for smooth talkers and shenanigans.
Old 02-13-2022, 04:43 AM   #34
Jeff Myers

The absolute best thing to do is go thru a complete PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection) There are several threads about this and the responsibility lies with the customer. Somehow, the dealers skate around most responsibility, but if you find the defects BEFORE signing any papers, or committing any funds, you will be better off! Dealers hate the PDI process, because it makes them accountable!
RV Purchase is absolutely a "buyer beware" market!
Old 02-13-2022, 05:18 AM   #35
Ram Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Myers View Post
The absolute best thing to do is go thru a complete PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection) There are several threads about this and the responsibility lies with the customer. Somehow, the dealers skate around most responsibility, but if you find the defects BEFORE signing any papers, or committing any funds, you will be better off! Dealers hate the PDI process, because it makes them accountable!
RV Purchase is absolutely a "buyer beware" market!
Pretty much anything in life when buying. If you don't check it out before buying THEN you have no one to blame but yourself. Plain and simple.
Old 02-13-2022, 07:48 AM   #36
TimC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1955 View Post
So, how do you test a water system in Jan when everything should have been drained and winterized? Request the salesman to take it inside and fill everything so you can run the faucets and flush the toilets?
Yes. This is exactly what my dealer did on my recent Cougar purchase. Only difference was it was end of December. But I live in WI so December is plenty cold enough.
Old 02-13-2022, 09:41 AM   #37
chuckster57
Site Team

This thread is spinning in circles..it is closed

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Closed Thread