Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2022, 07:33 PM   #1
Sawtooth

Best RV Campground Manual

Going camping soon, and would like a ‘registry’ of various RV sites. Both full service sites and BLM type ‘boon docking’ sites.
My trip starts from southern Montana, to western North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Utah and Idaho.

Are there Atlas type publications for RV camping?
Thanks,
Jerry (Old timer @ 86+)
23’ Keystone Hideout behind a 1993 Dodge 3/4 ton Cummins 1st generation pickup.
Sawtooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 09:17 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Woodall's Camping Directory "used to be the gold standard" for book form camping guides. They have "gone all online" recently. Good Sam (the camping club) still prints a pretty thorough paperback campground directory. It's almost 1300 pagees and covers most federal, COE, state, county, city and private campgrounds. Realize that there is a limit to the accuracy of any printed book form of information. Once printed, it's "permanent for that book" with no automatic updating until the next printing...

Amazon has the Good Sam guide for around $25-30. We've still got a 2009 edition of Woodall's in the trailer and we still occasionally use it for planning purposes. There's a lot of new campgrounds that aren't in that old version, and some have closed down, but for "general planning" it's a good way to get a general idea of what's in an area.

https://www.amazon.com/Campground-Co...73745583&psc=1

If there's a Camping World near you, they sell the same book for around $10.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 09:32 PM   #3
Jim2366

The three books that we use and travel with are listed below. They list every park in each State and provide details of what the sites and campground have.

RV Camping in State Parks
Corps of Engineers
RV Camping in National Parkf

All three can be purchased on Amazon for $50.
Old 02-03-2022, 07:46 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

The books that Jim and John listed can come in handy but the most up to date stuff is online. I used to be a "book/atlas" type of guy and had on entire bookcase full of those along with catalogs of every hotel chain etc. Took me forever to finally dispose of all that and start using the internet (I still use some printed publications though).

The RV is so big I don't like unknowns or roads/streets that may turn into a dead end around the next curve so I try to plan. You might try what I do if you have the time and inclination. Figure out a route that encompasses what it is you want to see or do, notate all those places then figure where you want to spend time. Once that is done I pull up all those areas and look for campgrounds. Depending on the location or timing during the trip (you may need to dump etc.) you can look for a place to camp, full or primitive. Once I figure that out I plan gas stops using googlemaps along with the satellite views.

For us the planning is as much fun as the trip and while doing all the research usually end up learning a lot of stuff we never knew and then see things we never knew about. Good luck on the planning.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 08:34 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

I prefer RV Life Campground Reviews, link at the top of the page. The info is real time, with comments from people that stayed there. I'd rather click on a state or search an area then flip through pages and pages of old information. But that's my preference. I do find tomes like catalogs and such great for starting fires though.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 07:45 AM   #6
ChuckS

We use the Allstays App.. it is current and you will find what you are looking for with this app much easier than with a paper product.. IMO

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 08:02 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

campgroundreviews.com is your go to source for campgrounds with real world ratings. I am a regular contributor and have had over 11,000 people view my reviews of the parks we have stayed in. You will also get a decent idea of how the wifi works in these parks as this has been a recent emphasis by the site.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 08:17 AM   #8
travelin texans

Whatever source for rv reviews just read carefully!
We've been to several beautiful parks that got bad reviews because "they didn't offer FREE dog poop bags!" or "we work out of our rv & the FREE wifi was too weak!".
I've also noticed that most of those type of ridiculous reviews stated "we stayed in our motorhome".
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 08:30 AM   #9
gearhead

X3 on campgroundreviews.com
I'm very cautious of campgrounds that have only 1 or 2 reviews, especially if they are glowing positive. I figure the owner wrote them.
I won't comment further on reviews that write more about the dog park than the RV park.
I usually look on Google satellite before I make a reservation.
Reservations for COE and Nat Parks must be made through recreation.gov or by calling the national phone number. Recreation.gov is the blue ribbon winner for the most frustrating website to use.
I have the COE campground book from Amazon and use it for reference.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 08:43 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
Going camping soon, and would like a ‘registry’ of various RV sites. Both full service sites and BLM type ‘boon docking’ sites.
My trip starts from southern Montana, to western North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Utah and Idaho.

Are there Atlas type publications for RV camping?
Thanks,
Jerry (Old timer @ 86+)
23’ Keystone Hideout behind a 1993 Dodge 3/4 ton Cummins 1st generation pickup.
Just a "gentle reminder, folks".... The OP didn't ask about what's the best ONLINE site. He asked for information about any "Atlas type publications"..

Sort of like someone asking "which is the best FIFTH WHEEL" and being given advice on Newmar diesel pushers or Class B van conversions.... If it's not what he's looking for.......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-10-2022, 09:48 AM   #11
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Just a "gentle reminder, folks".... The OP didn't ask about what's the best ONLINE site. He asked for information about any "Atlas type publications"..

Sort of like someone asking "which is the best FIFTH WHEEL" and being given advice on Newmar diesel pushers or Class B van conversions.... If it's not what he's looking for.......
I am sure that I was way out of bounds providing what I thought was a whole lot more useful suggestion for checking out campgrounds and to the OP, I am sorry if my suggestion of using an online website guide to campgrounds which will surely have more up to date information and is sponsored by the same folks as run this site offended you. Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa.
Old 02-10-2022, 10:28 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I am sure that I was way out of bounds providing what I thought was a whole lot more useful suggestion for checking out campgrounds and to the OP, I am sorry if my suggestion of using an online website guide to campgrounds which will surely have more up to date information and is sponsored by the same folks as run this site offended you. Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa.
Offended ??? George, why on earth would anybody be "offended" by you ???

My comments were to "hopefully guide the thread" back to where the OP is asking for information... It wasn't to "offend your sensitivities"... Gosh !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-10-2022, 11:08 AM   #13
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Offended ??? George, why on earth would anybody be "offended" by you ???

My comments were to "hopefully guide the thread" back to where the OP is asking for information... It wasn't to "offend your sensitivities"... Gosh !!!!!
I certainly can use all the guidance the more sage members can provide. I don't have many sensitivities so don't fret on that account....
Old 02-11-2022, 08:42 AM   #14
jawsmon

once I narrow it down to several rv parks I bring them up on google earth and get a really good look at access roads, site access etc. It's a great tool.
jawsmon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground