Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2021, 10:14 AM   #21
MikeRP

So I had a 2007 Suburban 2500 LTZ with 4.10’s the 6.0L. My brother towed his camper, 9500 lbs loaded to Upper Michigan and it towed it like a champ. It was a great tow vehicle. I think the gvwr on that one was 9900 lbs.

Another friend of mine had an avalanche 2500 w the 4.10’s and the 8.1 L engine. He towed what I thought was an enormous boat w no problems said it was a tow beast. I think his was a 2004.

I don’t think you will have any problem w that camper. Like everyone said just make sure you have proper tires, maintenance done, because that’s an old vehicle although I know it’s very nice. My Dad still has a 2002 Silverado w all the toys, gorgeous truck.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 07:40 PM   #22
Todd727

People continue to put too much faith in the yellow sticker as if it's gospel.

That sticker number is a simple calculation that equals the GVWR - the manufacturer's curb weight of the new vehicle. That number is generally very optimistic. None of the dealer or customer installed options will be included in that number.

Curb Weight is defined in 40 CFR 86.1803-01. The optional equipment is further defined in 86.1832.01 if you follow that link. If you read all of that, you probably notice that the curb weight is an estimate based on several factors with optional equipment. Therefore, those yellow stickers are estimates and reality is going to be different.

Curb weight means the actual or the manufacturer's estimated weight of the vehicle in operational status with all standard equipment, and weight of fuel at nominal tank capacity, and the weight of optional equipment computed in accordance with § 86.1832-01; incomplete light-duty trucks shall have the curb weight specified by the manufacturer.

This would be akin to me using the manufacturer's weight estimate on a piece of heavy equipment to figure out if I'm legal to haul it. That is never the case, and I must scale the load to make sure I'm legal.

Probably the only valid use for that sticker is for when you are shopping for a truck and you want a rough idea of where that truck rates compared to another truck.

So, the ONLY valid way to make sure your truck and trailer is legal and loaded correctly is to hit the scales. It will cost $23 for two weights, one being just the truck (loaded for the trip with full fuel) and the second being the truck and trailer, loaded for your camping trip and full fuel. From there, you will know your axle, GVW, GVCW and can quickly calculate the pin weight.