Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
brett50

battery charging question

is it ok to leave the batteries connected to the camper and have them charging with a portable batt. charger, and have the trailer plugged into a 120v house line? does this mess with the converter? i know that they will charge with the converter, but not as well, right?... i want my frig to start cooling down, thats why i have it plugged in..
thanx!
brett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

If your converter is functioning properly, it will sense what mode it needs to be in depending upon the condition of the battery and other demands placed on the converter. Not sure why you would have or want a separate charger on the battery other than to give it a "better and faster charge". If your battery is in good condition, having it charged by the converter alone should be sufficient.
If it is plugged in to 110V shore power, your converter should be supplying the correct charge to the battery.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
sandy43

I've been told that if the RV sits for a period of time and plugged in to shore power the battery should be turned off and turned back on a day or two before hitting the road again. Is this correct or not??? Please explain the pros and cons of what would be best. Thanks

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #4
randy69

Batteries

Ok this what I know. If plugged into shore, your converter will run when it needs too, And battery water has to be checked every couple of weeks. I personally leave mine plugged in all the time. Refridage is always cold and full of staples beer & ect. Freezer with 1 frozen milk bottle full of ice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Raptor 5th wheel 013.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	1526  
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
volvosweetie

We leave ours plugged up all the time never had a problem. Battery stays charged and we check our water level in the battery. Fridge is always cold and ready to fill with supplies when we go camping. Never heard of cutting them off and back on.

Ab & Pam
2006 Thor Grand Junction
2000 Ford F-450 dually Crew Cab
7.3 Diesel
volvosweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
Nimbus

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvosweetie View Post
We leave ours plugged up all the time never had a problem. Battery stays charged and we check our water level in the battery. Fridge is always cold and ready to fill with supplies when we go camping. Never heard of cutting them off and back on.
Checking the distilled water level is the key to long battery life. Rv batteries tend to get charged so much they run dry.
Nimbus is offline   Reply With Quote