Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2021, 02:25 PM   #1
dalamarjj78

Checking Roof Sealant

We've owned our 2021 Bullet 273BHS for 7 months and figured it was time to head onto the roof for the periodic sealant check now that the weather is getting nice.

It turns out, a decent amount of the sealant is difficult to see because plastic casings are covering most of it (fan covers for the bathroom and kitchen and what I assume is the hood for the microwave/oven).

The fan covers look like they'll be easy enough to remove if necessary but I'm not sure how the other cover would come off.

All the videos I've found online demonstrate using things like skylights that are flush with the roof. I've not seen anyone show how to check/reseal areas that are covered up.

Any tips? Will I need to remove these covers every time I need to check the roof sealant?

I've attached images to help show what I'm talking about.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	32556   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	258.3 KB
ID:	32557   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic3.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	32558  

2022 F350 XLT CCSB SRW 7.3L 4.30 Gears
2021 Keystone Bullet Ultra Lite 273BHS

dalamarjj78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 02:33 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

The long rectangular one is the fridge vent cover. dig out the sealant from the 4 corners and you should be able to remove the long screws that hold it down, most likely a phillips.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 03:31 PM   #3
dalamarjj78

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
The long rectangular one is the fridge vent cover. dig out the sealant from the 4 corners and you should be able to remove the long screws that hold it down, most likely a phillips.
Thanks. And I'm assuming that the sealant should be replaced in each of those four quarters once the cover is reinstalled? Or will it be ok to leave it out so I don't have to mess with it next time?

Old 03-21-2021, 04:11 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Reseal them.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 05:10 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalamarjj78 View Post
Thanks. And I'm assuming that the sealant should be replaced in each of those four quarters once the cover is reinstalled? Or will it be ok to leave it out so I don't have to mess with it next time?
As much of a PITA as it is, reseal them "fully to the top".. If you don't, the first freeze next year will crack the cover. If all 4 crack and the cover blows off the RV, you'll have a 5"x18" hole directly into the interior of the refrigerator compartment. One winter of that much water intrusion and you'll need to call your insurance agent to hopefully get a new RV....

Don't risk it, if the insurance says no, you're stuck with a multi-thousand dollar repair bill....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 05:47 PM   #6
dalamarjj78

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
As much of a PITA as it is, reseal them "fully to the top".. If you don't, the first freeze next year will crack the cover. If all 4 crack and the cover blows off the RV, you'll have a 5"x18" hole directly into the interior of the refrigerator compartment. One winter of that much water intrusion and you'll need to call your insurance agent to hopefully get a new RV....

Don't risk it, if the insurance says no, you're stuck with a multi-thousand dollar repair bill....
I figured since there is sealant there now then it's there for a reason. But definitely good to know. While messing with this will be a PITA it won't be near as bad as the alternative you mentioned should I try to save a little time. Thanks!

Tags
roof