Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2020, 02:46 PM   #1
wiredgeorge

Good Sam Towing

Well, since no one gave me any reason not to, I switched to Hartford RV insurance; essentially Comp/Collision. Contents that are part of the camper (attached) are covered and not attached will have to be covered by home owners insurance. They don't offer towing. Pretty much need to pick up towing so looking at Good Sam they have a bunch of options and their sign up page doesn't have the fine print. We typically don't camp more than a couple hundred miles from home and generally in low population areas. My truck has towing already. Does anyone carry GS and if so, which one of the many tiers of coverage makes sense?

https://www.goodsamroadside.com/compare/index.cfm
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:11 PM   #2
notanlines

George, in the years you have been RV'ing, how many times have you had to have the RV towed?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:56 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

George I don't know if any of them make sense realistically other than they are what they are...insurance; in case of ???

I carry Good Sam platinum auto + rv roadside, travel assist and extended warranty. Why? Guess I want to make sure they make money.

I generally take care of "roadside" issues myself but have tried to use them once; couldn't find anyone in their network that could respond within 4 hours. Not a knock on them. I have 3 other roadside assistance plans and they all apparently use the same people because their response was the same so I did it myself.

I pay them, set it up on auto draft and never think about it again. I don't want to justify it to myself every month/year. I just figure when that "oh crap" moment happens I've got someone to call and gripe to.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:04 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

We buy a new Ford every 10 years now. It used to be every 2 years or sooner. Anyway, Fords all come with roadside assistance for the first 5 years. We've never used that feature, other than one time (before the keypads were put on the doors) to unlock the truck when I locked my keys inside and DW had forgotten her keys about 1500 miles from home. Anyway, there were no "Ford authorized agents" in that area, so Ford suggested I call a local company and pay for the service then send them the bill. I did, sent the bill and it was never paid by Ford. They kept finding reasons (excuses) why the claim didn't meet their submission requirements. That went on for about 3 months and the deadline for filing a claim expired. In other words, Ford kept finding reasons not to reimburse me for what they told me to do.

I've never owned a CW towing plan or any of their other "emergency insurance plans"... Back years ago, when CW (Foremost insurance) was the best RV insurance at the cheapest price, their insurance policies included towing. Only once in the past 50 years did I have a flat and decide to use their "emergency service". We had a flat in Arizona, could see a campground from the highway, towed the half mile, set up the trailer for a week and called Foremost (CW) to ask them to send someone to change the tire. It toook 3 days before someone showed up. They didn't have a jack capable of jacking a 20' Jayco, so they left. I called Foremost again, they said that was the only agent they had in the area... So much for "emergency assistance"...

I changed the tire and went to buy a new spare. Back then, trailer tires were truck tires, and my knowledge was limited to "if it's flat, air it up or change it". Anyway, I thought, that's the second strike for "emergency towing and assistance" and both failed. I won't pay for something that doesn't work for me. At $100 a year, right now, had I never bought a towing policy, I'd have about $5200 in my towing fund. As it stands, I've got about $1500 since I haven't bought a towing plan in the past 15 years.

In more than 50 years of towing RV's, I've never had the need to call someone to tow it anywhere. The two times I did need help, in both situations, they didn't/couldn't respond.... So much for paying them to do something they can't/won't do.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing