Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2020, 08:03 PM   #1
The Veals

5th wheel landing legs question

When unhitching our 5th wheel, is it ok 10 have holes on one side and 11 on the other on the front legs?
The Veals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 04:13 AM   #2
Roscommon48

why would you do this? and I'd call lippert on that question.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 04:23 AM   #3
fatcatzzz

If ground is not level where the landing hit the ground. Sure. Before I had Hyd. landing gear I used blocks to help with getting the legs close to the same length.
fatcatzzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 04:51 AM   #4
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Veals View Post
When unhitching our 5th wheel, is it ok 10 have holes on one side and 11 on the other on the front legs?
Yes that is quite common on uneven ground. That is why they are adjustable.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 08:14 AM   #5
travelin texans

You either have the offset the landing gear or add blocks, both are acceptable practices.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 08:28 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

On "older fifth wheels" (before auto leveling) if you leveled your trailer with blocks under tires on one side, you either had to put blocks under the landing gear or lower the "low side landing gear leg" the necessary number of "extra holes".... From my experience, those with a desire to not carry as many blocks, it was common to count the number of blocks under the tires on the low side and then "pin the landing gear leg on that side" an equal number of inches lower than the "high side leg'...

It's perfectly normal to have one leg pinned 5 holes down and depending on the lay of the campsite, have the other leg pinned 6, 7, 8, 9 (or more) holes down.

The only thing I'd caution against is not using blocks under the landing gear to raise them higher than the distance between the trailer overhang and the truck bed rails. Having the landing gear 10 or 12" off the ground, sitting on blocks, is an excellent recipe to crush your truck bed rails if you happen to "bump the pin" a bit too hard when hitching, and push the landing gear off the blocks. It'll come "crashing down on the bed rails" if you're too aggressive with backing into the pin....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 02:13 PM   #7
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
On "older fifth wheels" (before auto leveling) if you leveled your trailer with blocks under tires on one side, you either had to put blocks under the landing gear or lower the "low side landing gear leg" the necessary number of "extra holes".... From my experience, those with a desire to not carry as many blocks, it was common to count the number of blocks under the tires on the low side and then "pin the landing gear leg on that side" an equal number of inches lower than the "high side leg'...

It's perfectly normal to have one leg pinned 5 holes down and depending on the lay of the campsite, have the other leg pinned 6, 7, 8, 9 (or more) holes down.

The only thing I'd caution against is not using blocks under the landing gear to raise them higher than the distance between the trailer overhang and the truck bed rails. Having the landing gear 10 or 12" off the ground, sitting on blocks, is an excellent recipe to crush your truck bed rails if you happen to "bump the pin" a bit too hard when hitching, and push the landing gear off the blocks. It'll come "crashing down on the bed rails" if you're too aggressive with backing into the pin....
John, You calling my Copper Canyon OLD Them is fighting words!

I don't count holes on my OLD Copper Canyon, I level the tires side to side using blocks under the low side. I have a level on the pin box, once level side to side I set the chocks .Then I run the legs down far enough to allow leveling front to rear. I place my about 4" of blocks under the legs and drop the inner legs all the way to the blocks, then lift and lock in the nearest hole, if there is a big difference in distance to the blocks from the feet, I will place a thin block under the one with greatest distance. Then disconnect from the TV as normal.

As for the statement in RED above this why I ALWAYS Chock the wheels.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 02:22 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
John, You calling my Copper Canyon OLD Them is fighting words!

I don't count holes on my OLD Copper Canyon, I level the tires side to side using blocks under the low side. I have a level on the pin box, once level side to side I set the chocks .Then I run the legs down far enough to allow leveling front to rear. I place my about 4" of blocks under the legs and drop the inner legs all the way to the blocks, then lift and lock in the nearest hole, if there is a big difference in distance to the blocks from the feet, I will place a thin block under the one with greatest distance. Then disconnect from the TV as normal.

As for the statement in RED above this why I ALWAYS Chock the wheels.
My Cougar is right there with your "old gray mare"...

As for the statement in red, yeah, I agree completely !!! Problem for me was once in a Michigan State Park, with chocks in place (in the sandy, grass covered soil) even with being "careful not to push the trailer backwards, had it not been for my DW "making an *** of herself" by screaming at the top of her lungs, I'd have done exactly what my warning was all about. When I got out of the truck, about to strangle her for yelling so much, I saw the landing gear, half on/half off the blocks... That's when I stopped using tall blocks under my front legs. BTDT, nearly got a new bed for my "purdy red truck"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel