Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2020, 11:02 AM   #1
Bnrc73

Awning lights.

Looking to install 12v LED awning light strip on my 2010 3400RL. The 16.4” puts the power end about a foot above the outside light. Does anyone know if the space behind the porch light and up to that area is open? I would like to use a small hole at the end of the strip and fish it down to the light fixture for my switched power source. Any ideas would be appreciated.
F350 SRW
Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 02:42 PM   #2
bobbecky

I installed an LED strip along the wall just below the awning. The LED strip is one of those that have a small controller with a remote that can change colors and brightness. I mounted the controller inside the porch light fixture and connected the power to the light socket with a bulb base, broke the glass off the base and connected the wires to the terminals where the filament had been. I cut a little notch in the edge of the plastic base of the porch light and shaped it with a round file so the cable from the controller can go the the LED strip. This works great and provides better light than the old porch light did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LED strip power.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	25378  
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 05:33 AM   #3
redfernclan

They actually make a adapter to turn a bulb into pigtails for useing a socket to power something.
GENSSI 1156 7506 BA15S Socket Wires Connector Base Adapter (Pack of 2)
Make it much easier.
redfernclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 12:24 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Most of the "older style" LED flat panel lights came with 3 bases so they could be adapted to any type of light fixture. One of the bases was for a 921 bulb, one for a "bayonette bulb" and one for a 1156 bulb. I think I've got a drawer full of the "spare bases" out in the pole barn.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LED BASE OPTIONS.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	25395  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, light, lights