Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2019, 06:17 PM   #1
Twisties

Furrion Antenna and WiFi LTE

So we picked up the 2020 30RLS with a Furrion Antenna and I guess we fell hook line and sinker for the faux WiFi LTE Router. I really can't say I'm interested in paying the big bucks for the Furrion Router, but I suppose the antenna is wired to that spot on the wall where the faux router sits?

Are there competing products that would use the antenna and output boosted wifi and LTE signals acting as a router, or is the Furrion product worth it?

Thanks!

Twisties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 06:13 AM   #2
Gobirds38

I was told by the dealer that this is for Furrion Only and wired into the roof top antenna. Furrion router is expensive and billed monthly for service.

The parts dept at the dealer told me to go with TOGO, price is about the same and the first year is free. (maybe a sales tactic?)

They wil need to rewire for it, but if they use the curent roof top antenna it may effect your radio and TV. I think they are both ran through it.

2020 Keystone Passport GT 2521RL 30 FT.
Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH 1000 LBS Bars.
2016 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 4X4 All Terrain V8 5.3
Gobirds38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:24 AM   #3
Chernandez

I just bought the router and its not going to cost me anything monthly. I will most likely go through verizon though for wifi. Not sure on cost yet. Our antenna flew off while we were driving to SD. Waiting for service to reinstall a new one. Then we will find out if it works or not! Until then
Chernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:37 AM   #4
Twisties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chernandez View Post
I just bought the router and its not going to cost me anything monthly. I will most likely go through verizon though for wifi. Not sure on cost yet. Our antenna flew off while we were driving to SD. Waiting for service to reinstall a new one. Then we will find out if it works or not! Until then
Let me know how it works!

Do I understand correctly: Your VZ phone would pick up it's LTE signal from VZ through the antenna and router without paying Furrion a monthly fee? The phone would simply see a stronger signal than otherwise?
Old 12-12-2019, 08:43 AM   #5
Chernandez

I have never received a bill or talked with anyone about service through Furrion. I just bought the router. But I did read that you can get service through Verizon or AT&T.
I will definitely let you know when I find out. It seems to take our service place (Camping World of Albuquerque a very long time to do anything. Hopefully I will have our RV back at the end of the month.
Chernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:17 AM   #6
rczapla

I bought the Furrion router through Amazon and saved $50. Data service through Furrion is pretty pricey. Furrion's customer support is good though. I betcha Furrion works with a larger commercial data service and buying Furrion's data service is not buying "wholesale". I have heard Verizon may support data services for the Furrion router but don't know. If you can find a service provider that works/authenticates the router and saves some money for reliable data, please post about it. I could use a cheaper data plan for the RV router.
rczapla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 04:46 PM   #7
Preyou

I did not buy the router and just use Verizon Personal Hotspot. No rewiring required. Also lost the antenna and after showing a post on the site was reimbursed by Keystone for the antenna. The dealer comped the labor and maybe got it from Keystone. They apparently had a problem.
Preyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 07:39 PM   #8
Twisties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preyou View Post
I did not buy the router and just use Verizon Personal Hotspot. No rewiring required.
Right, but does it use the antenna to improve reception, or is it just on it's own?

We just switched from VZ to Visible. Visible is a wholly owned subsidiary of VZ, using VZ's towers. They offer unlimited data with tethering, so we are going to try that approach.

What I am after is attempting to improve range and data speed using the antenna.

Tags
antenna, wifi