Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2019, 11:37 AM   #1
Tbos

Water Filter System Questions?

I’m considering adding a 2 stage water filter system to my 5er. It will have a 5 micron and a .5 micron filter. There is one system on line for about $200 more than the other one. One is by ClearSource and the other by Beech Lane. Both have the same size filters. I’m considering this because I have an ice maker in the fridge and I’d like to use it instead of a portable one. Additionally, I’d like to be able to start drinking the water instead of carting water bottles all the time. What are your experiences with either of these companies or their water filter products? Do you think it’s worth while adding a filter system like this? Since we will be full time next year the cost of bottled water adds up pretty quickly. When my Dad full timed 15+ years ago he always used bottled water. TIA
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:31 AM   #2
curtthegreat

I have no experience with either systems, but I too am curious, so I thought I'd bump this thread.
curtthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:24 AM   #3
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

no experience with these inline filter systems but have gotten away from bottled water by using the "Zero Water" filter system. works well for us but again not full times. As you stated you wanted to use ice maker in frig so in line filter system seems to be the only solution. As you were doing we used the portable ice maker.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 04:46 PM   #4
Tbos

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully more will chime in too. I noticed today someone else started a similar thread too.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:12 PM   #5
itat

I use a water filter and housing from RVWaterFilterStore.com.

I just use a single filter - their F1Pb 0.5 micron filter. I don’t find that it restricts water flow to any noticeable degree.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2014-2018)
itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:43 AM   #6
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
I use a water filter and housing from RVWaterFilterStore.com.

I just use a single filter - their F1Pb 0.5 micron filter. I don’t find that it restricts water flow to any noticeable degree.

Thanks, I appreciate the information.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:07 AM   #7
travelin texans

You can buy a dual cartridge type filter setup for about $50-60 that in my opinion will work just as well as something that's over $200.
Check out the other thread titled simply "water filters" for several different types available.
I had a water softener with a filter before with a sediment cartridge & after the softener with a charcoal & had good tasting water with crystal clear ice cubes from water sources all across the country.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:43 AM   #8
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
You can buy a dual cartridge type filter setup for about $50-60 that in my opinion will work just as well as something that's over $200.
Check out the other thread titled simply "water filters" for several different types available.
I had a water softener with a filter before with a sediment cartridge & after the softener with a charcoal & had good tasting water with crystal clear ice cubes from water sources all across the country.

Thanks, I was having a hard time finding a reason to justify the cost difference when they use similar filters.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:59 PM   #9
Jim2366

I had used a cartridge filter that I put on the spicket. However, then it goes through the pipes in the camper and then I drank it. I am going to take my Big Berkey water filter to make sure the water is good.
Jim2366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:27 PM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

I use an exterior mounted water filter that takes a 10" cartridge. It cam with a mounting plate that the filter housing slips onto with a "French cleat" type bracket. The housing is half the costs, the filters are more important. I wouldn't connect or fill my tank without it.

Been using the filters for several decades and have never had an issue with sediment or foul smelling or tasting water. Do your research on the type of water where your camping for the best filter selection. A good .5 micron carbon filter is the "default" go to filter. If you want a real eye opener use a filter for several months and when you change it out cut the used filter in half and take a good look at what you DIDN'T put in your plumbing system, or in your body.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:33 AM   #11
Roscommon48

Interesting that you are using bottled water. I have been RVing since 2003 and the only time we use bottled water is when we are in Mexico.

As for filters there are a few options it just depends on how much you want to spend or set up each time you camp. Camco has a good one as far as I can see.
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Sedimen...25750607&psc=1
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:54 AM   #12
FlyingAroundRV

We use the CG water for washing dishes etc and use bottled water exclusively for drinking.
We became concerned about the cost of that and the amount of plastic we were adding to the environment and came up with a solution.
We have a 3 gallon bottle that we refill from the filtered water station at Walmart. It costs about $1.10 for the 3 gal refill. We also have another container that has a wide mouth fill on top and a tap. We fill that from the 3gal container and it makes it easier to fill a glass or the kettle.
We also use a Camco filter between the hose and the trailer and replace that each season.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:08 PM   #13
Jim2366

I was concerned that after the water went into the RV that it may get contaminated from the water line inside the RV. Especially in the summer when the water has sat in hot water tank or lines for a while, that bacteria might be there. So I use the water from the RV sink and then filter it before making coffee or for drinking water.

So the Camco filter, or the Berkey water filter is good to filter it before drinking the water. I did buy a Camco from Amazon but have not used it yet. We use the Berkey filter at home even though the water here is good, but look at what happened in Flint Michigan.
Jim2366 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water