Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2019, 12:26 PM   #1
LHaven

Cranky window shade design

I've come across a couple of flagrant brain-bubble mechanical design flaws in my 2019. (My favorite has to be that the designers placed the shore cable jack where it gets covered when you attach your license plate, requiring me to find and add a "hinge mount" to the plate.)

Here's one I could use some advice on. On one window, Keystone arranged things so that the window crank, the window shade, and the hard valence mutually interfere (see image). When you want to lower or raise the shade, you can get it past the window crank only if you turn the bottom edge completely sideways, and then you still have to jam it past the bottleneck. (You can see the result of this on the vinyl fabric inside the valence.) I have no doubt that if I have to do this regularly, I will shred the shade in short order.

My first inclination is to see if anybody makes a really low-profile window crank knob. Does anybody have any sources?

Or has anybody addressed this problem in their own rig with a better solution?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5451.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	20754  
Old 03-13-2019, 02:11 PM   #2
66joej

Can you cut a bit off the sleeve that goes through the hole to operate the window and use a shorter bolt. This would bring the knob closer to the window.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 02:14 PM   #3
LHaven

Dunno. I suspect if I cut the end off the shaft, I'd lose the molded-in spline.

As a last resort, I guess could remove the bolt altogether, take the knob off completely, and then just manually insert it when I needed to open or close the window (much less frequently than I would need to open or close the shade).
Old 03-13-2019, 02:21 PM   #4
66joej

I've had those off and mine has the splines all the way to the knob.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:32 PM   #5
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
I've had those off and mine has the splines all the way to the knob.
I finally got around to working on this knob, and there's only enough spline to embrace the tip of the post, about 1/4", so there's no cutting the shaft. I should have expected this, since if there is spline all the way down, there's nothing to stop the collar from grounding and binding at the base of the shaft.

OAL of the current part is about 1 3/8". On the window, the tip of the post is flat even with the inside plane of the window, so I need a part with a shaft around 3/8" to 1/2", plus a knob grip with the shortest rise I can find.

I just ordered an "RV Designer H711" with a half-inch shaft. (I went with the round knob instead of the three-armed because I figured it would wear less on the shade over time.) Let's see how that works.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5741.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	21759  
Old 05-12-2019, 05:30 PM   #6
Cbrez

We didn’t have the same issue as you, but for other reasons switched out to MCD Roll Shades for many of our windows. They aren’t cheap, but so easy to operate and they don’t conflict with the window hardware.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:09 PM   #7
LHaven

The RV Designer H711 with 1/2" shaft was exactly what I needed. Fits tight to the window, doesn't have pointy bits to snag on, and doesn't obstruct the raising and lowering of the shade. Yeah, I still have to tilt the bottom carrier just a smidge to sneak it by, but nowhere near the old crank that was nearly ripping the shade every time.

Invaluable to the effort was this clever and sturdy little $10 tool that I don't need very often, but when I need it, nothing else will do. That, and being able to unscrew the bottom end of the hard valance shield to give myself a little more room to work.

It came in especially handy when I discovered that the bolt packaged in with the H711 (the short-stem model) was the long bolt suitable for the H713 long-stem, and I had to take it out again, scrounge up a shorter matching bolt (which wasn't Phillips), and reinstall it. Without the side ratchet, I would have been swearing and sweating.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5755.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	21841  
Old 05-16-2019, 02:21 PM   #8
roadglide

Your shad is to tight and waiting for a failure, there is a knob at the bottom of the shade with a screw you can try loosening the string at the knob . It could be the knob is misaligned.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:14 PM   #9
LHaven

Actually, I was holding the shade away from the window for the sake of the photograph, so it would be obvious how much room was needed to bypass the knob. It's not normally that tight.