Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2019, 02:15 PM   #1
Maxpowers

AC and Heater running same time

Good day,

Our new Bullet started turning on the AC when we run the heater.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Guessing Thermostat?

Guess it’s another trip to the dealer as it’s brand new don’t think I should mess with it.

Thanks

2019 Bullet 265rbi
Maxpowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:26 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Set the thermostat to auto instead of hi/lo.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:57 PM   #3
KeithInUpstateNY

What Sourdough said. It's something the dealer should address in the walk through, this comes up over and over But none do that I know of, my own included. Threw me the first time it happened. And the second, since it didn't happen again until the next season. Poor interface design, imho.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 04:57 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by compeakw View Post
What Sourdough said. It's something the dealer should address in the walk through, this comes up over and over But none do that I know of, my own included. Threw me the first time it happened. And the second, since it didn't happen again until the next season. Poor interface design, imho.
You're correct in that most dealers (maybe even all dealers) don't address this "designed in feature"... But you're "not quite as correct" about the "poor interface design". Actually, it's a "designed in feature" to allow for increased circulation of warm air (all the intake/outlets for the A/C are in the ceiling which is the warmest spot in the RV). When you set the thermostat to hi or lo, when the furnace fan comes on, the A/C fan also turns on to help distribute warmer/drier air throughout the RV. If you want/need the feature you can easily turn it on and have a choice of fan speed. If you don't want/need the feature, turn it off by selecting AUTO on the thermostat fan switch.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:13 PM   #5
KeithInUpstateNY

Thanks for explaining the function for the benefit of the forum. I understand the "designed in purpose" (after it was explained by the tech at my dealer) and I didn't say it shouldn't be an option. But given all the confusion and stress it causes new RVers as evidenced by the number of times this question comes up in the forums it would be nice if there was a "Are you sure you want both the AC fan and the the furnace running?" check when you select it. Or even just a removable sticker on the wall next to the thermostat explaining it. Yes, it is explained in the manual, but it is too easy to switch it by accident and not know what is going on.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:10 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by compeakw View Post
Thanks for explaining the function for the benefit of the forum. I understand the "designed in purpose" (after it was explained by the tech at my dealer) and I didn't say it shouldn't be an option. But given all the confusion and stress it causes new RVers as evidenced by the number of times this question comes up in the forums it would be nice if there was a "Are you sure you want both the AC fan and the the furnace running?" check when you select it. Or even just a removable sticker on the wall next to the thermostat explaining it. Yes, it is explained in the manual, but it is too easy to switch it by accident and not know what is going on.
Why not make that suggestion to Dometic and Keystone. The members here have little/no "sway" to convince either to make changes to their manual and neither, as far as I know, has ever been a contributing member or even a registered member of this forum, so they won't view your suggestion on this site. All we can do is explain what/why it's like it is. On the other hand, if it's important enough to you, maybe making your views known to the manufacturer......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:33 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

I found that "once was enough". I knew from the one time it was explained exactly how it operated and wasn't particularly interested in a "sticker" sitting somewhere to tell me what the manual did. Just imagine if every instruction in the manual was put on a sticker inside the trailer trying to explain every little detail...I wouldn't deal with it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:42 PM   #8
Maxpowers

Awesome thank you. Wish my dealer had walked me through this but now I now.

Thank you all for the data.

First trip past the yard in the new trailer in a few weeks. Getting pretty stoked.
Maxpowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:55 PM   #9
FlyingAroundRV

Good one! I haven't encountered this yet and it would have flummoxed me as well. I'll give the manual an extra careful read when we get back to the trailer.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:36 AM   #10
Roscommon48

At times the 10 key thermostat is a pain. Just learn how to reset it and keep in 'auto' mode.

Make sure the thermostat is in the OFF mode.

Simultaneously press the MODE and ZONE buttons. The LCD will display
“IniT” and all available zones.

Release the MODEand ZONE buttons.

Press the ON/OFF button to exit system set up
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater