Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 09:18 AM   #1
ranger1850

Buying 2007 Springdale 283 in off season

I have to look for new area due to EPA in old campgrounds. The unit am looking at is a 2007 Keystone Springdale 283 bunk house. The unit owner let me look at it, but all power off and slide not out. He is asking $11k, has large roof covering unit and patio. The bunks were taken out and a table and chairs are in the back along with jack knife sofa. The unit looks in great shape, but I have zero knowledge what do look at. I am thinking to pay for an inspection but the owner seems to be honest in all questions I have ask. He probably will sell between $9500 to $10k. He only used 2x last year, grandkids out of state.
I will not move the unit its at a campgrounds along a river. What are the pros and cons of this year 283? I am going to go look at it again later in the week. Plus I like to ask owner of campgrounds to turn on power. My question is if he will not, can a deep cycle battery hooked up give me power? Please reply with tips, suggestions and how to go about buying. I am 75 yrs old and my old RV was 30ft 1953 RV, with basic power and not much else, with 12 by 16 screen porch. Thanks to all for your help. Let me ask one other thing, I am keeping this at a seasonal campgrounds. Do I have to worry more letting it sit in the same spot? My goal is to own for 5 or 6 years top. I will not worry what I will sell it for at that time. The old RV I had for 33 years, had no heat nor air. I also didn't have hot water but the shower room was close to get all the hot water I needed. Just wanted to add what I was use to and how I hope to enjoy this newer unit. The big advantage was the screen in porch and deck overlooking the lake. Last year made big mistake and turned down an offer of $17,000
Old 12-16-2018, 10:59 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

That Springdale is already 12-13 years old. It's a wooden frame trailer with a rubber roof. UV rays aren't supposed to damage the roof membrane, but they do destroy the sealants used to prevent leaks around everything on the roof. Any leak on the roof, the edge moldings or around any window will allow enough water into the frame to completely "rot it away" in that length of time. The trailer probably cost around $15,000-16,000 new (MSRP new was around $24,000), so depending on what is included, it may be a great buy, it may not. Overall, in good condition, the trailer alone in good condition, with nothing else included would retail on a dealer's lot for around $6500.

I would strongly urge you to find a competent RV service person to go over the trailer with a "fine tooth comb" before making any offers or commitment. There is way too much that could have gone wrong, been patched (not fixed) and now is a mess waiting to explode. On the other hand, it may be an excellent buy. Only a good inspection will tell you which it is. Good Luck !!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-16-2018, 11:15 AM   #3
ranger1850

Buying 2007 Sprindale 283 in off season.

Thanks JRTJH, I appreciate all you said, and that inspection has to be down. I think part of $11,000 asking price is the new roof he had installed over the RV and deck. Had to cost at least $4k but not sure. I know when I looked at price of just one item, DSI water heater, it was $350 or more. The owner of campgrounds said, always something needs repaired. I will not move and I will keep at his campgrounds. I have a few RV dealers near this area who I can pay or who should I look for in the inspection. Thanks again for your help.

One thing that bothered me, when he was showing me outside areas, when he showed propane tanks, he had to shut off, never did. I just wonder if he winterized at all, or thinking to do. What all have to be done when you winterize an RV?
Old 12-17-2018, 07:06 AM   #4
ranger1850

Buying 2007 Sprindale 283 in off season.

I never buy on impulse or quickly, so the unit I looked at on Sat. has been sold. He told me he was just thinking about selling and gave me his reasons. He ended up telling a friend who bought the RV plus he wanted to sell his boat in the deal and did. I was not interested in the boat at all. It was a good buy and being a novice I wanted help before buying. I did send him a message that I needed to see one more time, but he sold it before ever reading my text. He said he was just going to text me about it being sold. He sold it later that day to a friend.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:14 AM   #5
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Since the unit mentioned in this post has sold, I'm going to close it. No sense in beating what is in this case a (really) dead horse. If you disagree, PM me with reason and it can be teopened.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
Closed Thread

Tags
springdale