Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 08:39 PM   #21
Logan X

I also always travel with my fridge on. I didn’t want to be the first one to admit it, haha.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:58 PM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles65 View Post
To the OP: Read up on the subject of traveling with open propane tanks, online, on sites other than this one. You will find that the experts are divided on this topic. It all comes down to what you're comfortable with. In towing a travel trailer, you have no idea what's going on, inside it, while in transit. For me, I prefer being safe rather than sorry. With my tanks off, I have one less thing to be concerned with. My food keeps just fine. With a closed refrigerator, you'll only lose about 4°F per eight hours. Anyway, I'm done with this thread. Do what you're comfortable with, but do your own research on other sites, as well.

Don't know if it is appropriate or not but Miles had mentioned he knew all the regulations that would prevent you from using LP for your fridge; sent him a PM and there apparently are none.

"Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough
Miles, not trying to start an argument, and, you are a fellow Texan, but, your comment that you KNOW what the "safety standards" on leaving an LP tank are intrigues me but you then failed to follow up with the new member or the forum....can you elaborate?

No problem. Traveling with explosive gas delivery systems open is ill advised. I'm sure I could find the exact ordinances pertaining to closing tanks before entering tunnels and gas stations, but there's no need to do that, as we both know they exist. As far as a safety standard, vis-à-vis open propane tanks on moving RV's, I'm unaware of any official safety standard, but the intelligent choice seems self-evident, to me.

So, for the OP this is an opinion, not supported by anyone I know or have met based on ….. opinion. Just to set your mind at ease and allow you to go
"camping" with a clear mind!!
Old 11-30-2018, 05:31 AM   #23
rhagfo

I will add my two cents to this and state refer is always on when traveling. In addition in cold weather I would start the furnace and set the t-stat to about 55, so the 5er would be warm on arrival.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
Old 11-30-2018, 05:39 AM   #24
spade117

Fridge on while underway.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:20 AM   #25
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Alright, way to go everyone! This winter we have a new category: Fridge Police. LOL, sorry I couldn't help myself. Filter's broke.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
Old 11-30-2018, 08:27 AM   #26
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Alright, way to go everyone! This winter we have a new category: Fridge Police. LOL, sorry I couldn't help myself. Filter's broke.
LOL!

Likely to find the furnace police also!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
Old 11-30-2018, 08:41 AM   #27
KYFamily

I'll join in. Have the Fridge on while traveling and always will.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:09 AM   #28
CWtheMan

https://www.amerigas.com/amerigas-bl...propane-safety
Old 11-30-2018, 10:03 AM   #29
Charby

I travel with frig on and when re-fueling I always take the end pump so fridge burner is on opposite side of pumps as a percaution.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:11 AM   #30
Number 4

I have always towed with the fridge running on propane but will probably change to shutting propane off while on the road, mostly because I'm the cautious type and because we're usually at our destination within 4-5 hours. Some tips I've read to keep things cold while under way are: If it can be frozen and then allowed to thaw in the fridge, freeze it... use a battery operated refrigerator fan on the lowest shelf to circulate air... put some frozen plastic water bottles in the fridge.
I have seen one small motor home go up in flames with the mid portion fully engulfed. At one point a side panel opened and a 5-gal propane tank fell out onto the street. No jets of flame so it was either empty or the valve was closed. Impossible to know if someone was trying to cook while under way and something caught fire (rig was sitting in city traffic in a turning lane while burning) or if a propane leak ignited or ???

Number 4: 2013 Hideout 19FLBWE
Number 3: 1994 Skyline Nomad 1661
Number 2: 1971 Santa Fe
Number 1: 1967 Shasta Airflyte
2015 F-250 Lariat 6.2L CC 4x4 3.73
Old 11-30-2018, 10:31 AM   #31
Carrottop

I look at it this way if the governing bodies were concerned at all about the dangers of LP systems they would mandate manufacturers to not allow appliances to run while the trailer or motorhome were in motion. This could be accomplished via a sensor that the trailer is connected to the truck or something from the axles that they are in motion. I had a 2010 Holiday Rambler Class A and it would even switch between gas and electric when my kids would start the generator for whatever they needed while in motion. When they turned the generator off the fridge would simply switch back. As others have stated. My time RVing with my father and my family began in 1970 and we have always traveled with the fridge on. Of all the safety things we RV'ers need to focus on this is not one of them.
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
2021 Keystone Residence 40FLFT
Old 11-30-2018, 01:48 PM   #32
dlcasaletto

I appreciate all the comments! My original question (which was answered) was if the refrigerator has to be level to operate, how does it operate when moving. As far as the safety question, I leave that to each person to decide for themselves. As I stated earlier, years ago when I borrowed my dad's motorhome, I always had the refer running on gas while traveling. And just so everyone will know, I will probably operate the refer on gas while traveling on long trip. Thanks!!!

Old 11-30-2018, 01:51 PM   #33
travelin texans

Mine is set to "auto", when connected to shore power it switches to AC, unplugged it automatically switches to LP. That's my recommendation that's always worked well, set once & done, one less thing to forget to do.
Replacement undetermined
Old 11-30-2018, 02:38 PM   #34
MerlinB

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
To date I've only ever heard of 1 rver that DID NOT leave fridge running while traveling & he just posted here, Miles65.
Yeaaaa! I'm #2. In the past I, like most (all) of you, have traveled happily down the road with the propane tank turned on to keep the refrigerator cold. However, I have to admit I have NEVER been comfortable doing that. I have always stopped short of the fuel pumps and closed the tank valve before refueling. I have seen videos of RVs going up in flames after an accident where the situation could have been exacerbated by an open propane valve. I know, I know, specific details are severely lacking.

Anyhow, when I obtained my current trailer I installed a 1000 watt inverter. It is connected, through an automatic changeover switch, to the "Outlets" circuit breaker in the electric panel. The outlet for my refrigerator is fed from that CB. So, now, when I am traveling down the road, my refrigerator is running on 120 V AC power from the inverter and my propane valves are off.

One reason I really like this is that my refrigerator is installed in a slide out. That means there is a rubber hose that connects gas from the steel pipe along the frame to the slide out. It is directly above the axles on the trailer. A blown tire could easily rip that hose apart and release the gas.

I am much more comfortable driving down the road with the propane turned off.

Another poster linked a document from Amerigas concerning "RV Propane Safety." This is a quote from that document:

"On the Road
Most RV refrigerators can keep food/beverages cold during several hours of travel without a power source. It is recommended that propane systems be turned off while driving."

YMMV.
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
Old 11-30-2018, 02:42 PM   #35
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinB View Post
Yeaaaa! I'm #2. In the past I, like most (all) of you, have traveled happily down the road with the propane tank turned on to keep the refrigerator cold. However, I have to admit I have NEVER been comfortable doing that. I have always stopped short of the fuel pumps and closed the tank valve before refueling. I have seen videos of RVs going up in flames after an accident where the situation could have been exacerbated by an open propane valve. I know, I know, specific details are severely lacking.

Anyhow, when I obtained my current trailer I installed a 1000 watt inverter. It is connected, through an automatic changeover switch, to the "Outlets" circuit breaker in the electric panel. The outlet for my refrigerator is fed from that CB. So, now, when I am traveling down the road, my refrigerator is running on 120 V AC power from the inverter and my propane valves are off.

One reason I really like this is that my refrigerator is installed in a slide out. That means there is a rubber hose that connects gas from the steel pipe along the frame to the slide out. It is directly above the axles on the trailer. A blown tire could easily rip that hose apart and release the gas.

I am much more comfortable driving down the road with the propane turned off.

Another poster linked a document from Amerigas concerning "RV Propane Safety." This is a quote from that document:

"On the Road
Most RV refrigerators can keep food/beverages cold during several hours of travel without a power source. It is recommended that propane systems be turned off while driving."

YMMV.
Running the fridge on AC power off an inverter is a good idea. I’m going to consider that.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:12 PM   #36
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlcasaletto View Post
I appreciate all the comments! My original question (which was answered) was if the refrigerator has to be level to operate, how does it operate when moving. As far as the safety question, I leave that to each person to decide for themselves. As I stated earlier, years ago when I borrowed my dad's motorhome, I always had the refer running on gas while traveling. And just so everyone will know, I will probably operate the refer on gas while traveling on long trip. Thanks!!!
I’m glad you got the answer you were looking for. This thread is now closed

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Closed Thread