Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2018, 05:17 PM   #1
MarzigCampers

Hot/cold low points for winterizing a 2012 Keystone Sprinter 255RKS

2012 Keystone Sprinter 255RKS

Hey, me again for my second post ever!

I just winterized the above travel trailer for the first time but I am struggling to find the hot and cold low point drains that many of the winterizing videos show. I had the pump bypass hose to put into the antifreeze so I was able to run antifreeze easily through all of my lines but does anyone know if this model comes with low point drains on the outside? I’m open to suggestions of where to look or if some trailers don’t have them. The only drains I see coming out of the bottom is to empty the freshwater tank.

Bonus winterizing question! I also have the outside city water hookup and a black tank clean out hose hook up on the outside. How do I blow out those lines to make sure they are not filled with water? I am pretty sure the black tank clean out one definitely has water still in those lines. Any tips for winterizing these two lines is greatly appreciated!
MarzigCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:23 PM   #2
Tbos

You can get an air compressor and the appropriate attaching fittings. Set it to 40 psi and blow out those remaining lines. There should be low point drains somewhere. Often they are red and blue and sometimes under the rig near the hot water heater. They may be hidden by other features of the rig. Hopefully someone with your rig will chime in too.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:43 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Tbos is on point with the near hw tank. Just look under the unit, you should see two lines with caps side by side. There should also be one by itself, that will be the fresh water holding tank drain. If you do a forum search you will find posts with pictures.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:03 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Don't forget to look under the edges of the trailer (not where the Coroplast covering is located) but along the outside edges of the frame rails where the outriggers support the bottom of the trailer floor. On some "wide body" trailers, such as the Sprinter, they are 10" higher up in the outriggers, not "down below the coroplast". Look along the "sides of the bottom" as they might be "well hidden" there.....

Good part is that once you find them, you'll "always know where to look"..... LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:47 AM   #5
MarzigCampers

I’ve since found some great winterizing threads on here and while I have not found a picture of my exact trailer, the directions definitely helped clean up the process I was following to winterize my rig. Been raining here but I plan to crawl underneath the trailer again sometime this week and give it another look now that I know it should have them
/somewhere/. Thanks everyone!
Old 10-30-2018, 10:44 AM   #6
Ken / Claudia

It may have been a type O, I know I make many. Your 1st post says low point drains for fresh water tank where found. That tank should only have 1. If you see more than 1 you are looking at a or the low point water pipe drains. On my trailer all three are close by each other in foreword area driver side through coroplast cover. I was over getting splashed while on my knees unscrewing the caps and replaced the caps with the 1/4 turn valves. Now a much easier task to drain them.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:32 PM   #7
NealBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarzigCampers View Post
2012 Keystone Sprinter 255RKS

Hey, me again for my second post ever!

I just winterized the above travel trailer for the first time but I am struggling to find the hot and cold low point drains that many of the winterizing videos show. I had the pump bypass hose to put into the antifreeze so I was able to run antifreeze easily through all of my lines but does anyone know if this model comes with low point drains on the outside? I’m open to suggestions of where to look or if some trailers don’t have them. The only drains I see coming out of the bottom is to empty the freshwater tank.

Bonus winterizing question! I also have the outside city water hookup and a black tank clean out hose hook up on the outside. How do I blow out those lines to make sure they are not filled with water? I am pretty sure the black tank clean out one definitely has water still in those lines. Any tips for winterizing these two lines is greatly appreciated!
Not all trailers have low point drains. My current one does have them but my previous 2 did not.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:07 AM   #8
MarzigCampers

For future readers of this thread, I found the hot and cold low points by the back door pull out stairs. They were as another poster stated, recessed between the frame and the outer chassis so you couldn’t see them without going around the entire edge (not visible by just looking across the bottom). Thanks again!
Old 11-22-2018, 01:32 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealBlue View Post
Not all trailers have low point drains. My current one does have them but my previous 2 did not.
I believe heartland is the only brand that doesn’t have low point drains. Can’t say I’ve seen EVERY brand out there.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone, sprinter, winter, winterizing