Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2018, 12:17 PM   #1
Smartin108

Shower hose retainer ring

Newbe question regarding the hose ring in the shower. Other than being a major annoyance, what purpose does it serve, and is it necessary?
Smartin108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:22 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

It’s purpose is to keep the hose from flopping around. Is it really needed? Probably not, so you have options.

Take the shower head off, pull the hose out and reconnect.

Do the above, but remove the 2 screws holding the ring. Then seal the holes.

Mine is still there. When I get wet and shut the flow off at the head, when I’m all done applying soap/shampoo I don’t have to fumble around for the hose, It’s hanging from the loop.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:59 PM   #3
travelin texans

Took ours out of that ring & now works great for DWs razor.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:35 PM   #4
Howie

I took a Dremel and cut a small portion of the ring off so that I can either pull the cord out or push it back into the ring as desired. Small cuts advised until you get just the right amount of opening.
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 09:23 PM   #5
Squanto

Sorry to dredge this old thread but I was wondering the same thing. I've been trying to come up with a value for it. So far I've thought of.....

1. If driving and the head bounces out of the retainer, it won't fall all the way to the floor, possibly breaking itself or the floor. The retainer works pretty well though.

2. It prevents the hose from swinging hard enough to break the glass shower door. But, I think a turn that hard would roll the trailer.

3. It would make a good secondary retainer for a short person or child.

4. It ensures no one will sleep if you shower. (Our shower is on the other side of the bedroom wall and the ring/hose noise is amplified greatly.

I think I'm going to go with the idea of notching the ring so the hose can be removed/replaced as we have a little one on the way.
Old 09-27-2023, 07:32 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

That ring also makes a great place to hang anything with a hook on it. Things like a back brush, a place to put a razor when DW is showering, or even a place to "thread a wash cloth" to keep it from falling to the floor and stopping the drain while showering.... Not everyone can use all the "other functions" but with imagination, it's not just a "shower hose keeper".....

We have two in our shower, one we leave open for any purpose, the other is a handy place to store the squeegee to help keep the shower door from dripping on the floor in front of the toilet.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 12:26 PM   #7
LHaven

My thought is that most hose-end residential showers originate from the shower head's fixed position, this is just a handy way of approximating this without in-wall plumbing. The ring allows you to have an extra long hose without it draping to the floor where it might get damaged by getting stepped on, and also keeps it from bending and kinking at the faucet's hose outlet.

My hose winds completely around the faucet once. It reaches everything I need to reach, but stores neatly out of the way and doesn't get caught on anything (including me).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2661.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	45271