Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2018, 08:26 AM   #1
oldmanbill

Roof leak problem

I have a 2011 Cougar, front kitchen with the vee nose. The roof panel of the front section is connected to the main roof with a strip about an inch wide with rubber inserted in the center of it. OK my question is how to reseal a leak there. Do you have to remove that strip? It would not be practical to move the trailer currently so an in place repair is necessary.
oldmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:43 AM   #2
dmcc625

I would put a strip of enterbond tape over the full seam. I used the 6” wide to ensure good adhesion.
dmcc625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:10 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Is there any physical separation, damage or open seams at the union strip? If so, that should be repaired before any sealing takes place. If there is no damage, no physical gap visible, then I'd clean the area well, remove any loose or damaged sealant, clean with alcohol and reseal with DICOR self leveling sealant. Be sure to overlap ALL the existing sealant with the new coat.

Once that is done, you should be OK. Eterna-bond tape is an alternative, but application of that tape is considered a "permanent application" and the tape is extremely difficult, probably impossible to remove without damaging the TPO roof membrane, so use it with the understanding that you won't be able to remove it for future repairs or upgrades.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:47 AM   #4
oldmanbill

But do you have to take the insert trim molding off and start over? This must be a common problem.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:06 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

If the aluminum joiner strip is damaged, has stripped or loose screws or is physically bent/gapped, then yes you need to remove it and fix the underlying problems. If it is in good condition, the screws are secure and the only problem is a leak around a screwhead or water seepage under a void in the sealant, then there is no need to remove the joiner strip.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:16 AM   #6
oldmanbill

OK you probably named it, it looks like new so probably bad screw sealing. Thankyou for taking the time, guess I will just pull the insert out and go from there.

Tags
leak, roof