Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2017, 07:27 AM   #1
chollahan

smoke detectors

For some reason the previous owners of our 2010 raptor removed the smoke detectors. We only have the bases they were attached to on the ceiling.

My questions are: the trailers came with some, correct? And if so, can someone provide the make and model of them? I would rather buy some that would install on the existing bases. I would guess they used the same detectors in all their models.

Thanks!

Chris in Leonard
2010 Raptor RP3812
2014 Ford F250 Lariat FX4 6.7l
chollahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:04 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

RV manufacturers change Smoke detector brands as often as we change underwear. They buy a "low bid contract" for a specified quantity, then when that stock is used, they buy another "lowest bid" which may or may not be from the same manufacturer. There is no "rhyme or reason" to what's installed in a given trailer, other than "that's what was on the shelf" when they pulled smoke detectors that day.....

As to why they are "missing" in your trailer, RVIA is the "safety compliance organization" that establishes rules for manufacturing in the RV industry. Their rules change at times, but they set the requirements for how many smoke detectors and where they are installed. In 2010, when your trailer was built, the requirement was to have a smoke detector within "X" feet of all cooking appliances and within "X" feet of each sleeping area. Most manufacturers found a single location that meets all of those requirements (cheaper to install one detector) and usually it's "too close to the stove" which means every time you cook, the smoke detector will start alarming. The answer is to just take the darn thing off the ceiling and put it in a drawer.

That's not the safe thing to do, but in desperation, many owners do resort to that.

About the only suggestion I'd have for buying one that fits the same base would be to remove the base, take it to Lowe's or Home Depot and try it on what they sell. That said, if you've already removed the base and will need to reinstall it, it doesn't much matter if you reinstall the same one or use a different style base (as long as it covers the old holes).....

In our Cougar, I relocated the smoke detector to the top of the stairs. It was originally in front of the refrigerator, about 5' from the stove. It alarmed every time we boiled water for tea. I reasoned (correctly I hope) that smoke rises so with the sloped ceiling, any smoke would rise to the top of the stairs.
We would know if we have a fire while cooking (we'd definitely see it) but we may not know if there's a fire in a trash can by the TV or in the bathroom, since the ceiling slopes the wrong way to channel that smoke to the detector by the refrigerator. So I moved it to a point at the highest slope in the ceiling. That way, if there's smoke while we're sleeping, it'll reach the detector faster than it would if mounted on a lower ceiling location.

I'd suggest you just buy a battery operated smoke detector and put it where the old one was. If it "nuisance alarms" then move it to a more appropriate location.

While you're at it. Most CO detectors (there should be one in your main bedroom, mounted on the wall) have detectors that expire in either 5 or 7 years, so with your 2010 trailer, chances are your CO detector has reached the end of its serviceable life. I'd change out it as well. Remember that all CO detectors are not created equal. Some won't work in cold temps and some are damaged if stored in freezing temps, so be sure to buy one that's "RV rated"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:38 AM   #3
chollahan

Thanks John! Lots of good info. I didn't know about the monoxide detector life span. I'll look for a replacement today!

Chris in Leonard
2010 Raptor RP3812
2014 Ford F250 Lariat FX4 6.7l
chollahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:01 AM   #4
bobbecky

Our smoke detector failed recently, so purchased a new one that has a 10 year life. When the battery dies, you just replace the entire unit. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Kidde-Cod...9992/203728679

I have had to replace both the LP detector and the the CO detector, as they failed sooner than the paperwork said they would last. The FIL just purchased a new TT, and there was no CO detector in it, and the lady that we did the PDI with didn't have a clue where it would or should be located or even if one was supposed to be installed. I didn't push the point, figured I would just get one and install it later.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:15 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Bob,
A CO detector is a mandatory requirement per RVIA. If a new trailer has any gas heating appliances in it and was delivered without a CO detector AND has a RVIA compliance sticker next to the main entry door, it's not in compliance. The dealer should install one and "duke it out with the manufacturer" over who pays for it, but it shouldn't be your FIL.

You can review the "basic RVIA requirements here: http://www.rvia.org/?ESID=standards

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:43 AM   #6
dhn

I just bought one like this to replace the out of date propane detector in my 2013 29RBS. You may have a similar one to it. I replaced my smoke detector with a better quality First Alert with a silence button. Used one screw hole from the original detector and made a new hole for the other mounting hole. Covered the old hole fine.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/MTI-Indus...Alarm/55385114

2019 GMC 3500 SRW CC 6.6
2013 Cougar X-Lite 29RBS
dhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 02:18 PM   #7
Pull Toy

Just a thought... If your replacing older obsolete units, some new higher end units will eliminate false alarms from cooking odors, shower steam, toasters, etc...

Might be worth a few extra $$$?

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:45 PM   #8
Desert185

But how will I know when dinner is ready?
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:58 AM   #9
ken56

Here is another issue I have had with my smoke detectors. If your live in an area that has stink bugs check the inside of your detectors. I have found up to 6 in one and the other had at least 2. Since then I have started leaving my covers open when we are not using it. I know that on some 5th wheel units they are way high and would need a step ladder to reach to do that.

I use my range hood fan when I make toast or do other cooking inside. If I don't it will set off the detector.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:33 PM   #10
bobbecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Bob,
A CO detector is a mandatory requirement per RVIA. If a new trailer has any gas heating appliances in it and was delivered without a CO detector AND has a RVIA compliance sticker next to the main entry door, it's not in compliance. The dealer should install one and "duke it out with the manufacturer" over who pays for it, but it shouldn't be your FIL.

You can review the "basic RVIA requirements here: http://www.rvia.org/?ESID=standards
As a follow-up on the question about CO detectors, I was able to check the FIL's trailer today, and the propane detector is only just that, but according to the manual, it is supposed to be a combination CO/propane detector. I contacted the selling dealer and they are contacting the manufacturer to find out why the wrong device was installed. I'm betting on someone ordered the wrong detectors, maybe because they were cheaper?, and who knows how many of these rigs were built with the wrong detectors. Safe-T-Alert detector is what is used, and the propane only unit is exactly the same as the combination unit except the combination unit has the extra parts and different labeling that makes it detect CO also.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote