Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2017, 11:01 AM   #1
Ddubya

WiFi Repeater

Has anyone used the Ubiquity Bullet WiFi radio to improve RV park WiFi signal?

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:57 AM   #2
slow

I use a similar unit from Alfa. Works well, but still limited by the RV Park's setup. The most frustrating being the need to log back in every hour at some parks.

Here is what I use (starting at post #20): http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...t=26415&page=2
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:01 PM   #3
Ddubya

Understand. I use an I Pad and any signal would be better than I now get in most parks.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:41 PM   #4
Nuke

If you get the Bullet (wifi, not the camper!), be sure you get the lasest version!!! (I cannot stress this enough). The older versions have moisture leakage around the LED panel and tend to get zapped in bad weather (we have replaced over 25 of these due to this issue). Most brand-name retailers now stock the newer units, but beware of the eBay/Amazon listings. You can Band-Aid the older ones with sealer around the LED cover, but it blocks much of the LEDs.

That being said, we have the best omni-directional performance when paired with a D-Link antenna like this one (click here).. Not only does it provide fairly good performance, it has a mounting bracket that is easily adapted for RV use. Fairly easy to disassemble for travel. Takes a bit of tweaking on the settings to get it to optimal performance, but for the advanced user, it shouldn't be much of an issue.
Sophie and Chloe (mini Schnauzers)
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:42 AM   #5
Ddubya

Nuke, thanks for the heads up on the older Bullets and the antenna link.
A special thanks for your service to our country from a fellow Navy guy.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:58 PM   #6
eds451

I have a DD-WRT router with external antenna to repeat the CG wifi. My DW has found that using her iphone as a hotspot she gets much better speed. My thoughts are to buy a mobile hotspot or increase our data plan to cover her Facebook etc needs and use the DD-WRT as a backup when necessary.

Central Calif.
2010 Dodge 2500HD, 5.7 hemi
2007 Cougar 244rls
eds451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:13 PM   #7
Path2ground

My last trip, I tested a ubiquity M5 Loco at a CG. The unit was fed to a netgear router which I created my own private network at my trailer. The advantage of the M5 was it 'locked' to a specific hotspot, and did not drop and cycle to another nearby hotspot on the same network: which causes dropouts often. Although not flawless, but it was able to stream Amazon video in the evenings; which was awesome on a busy CG network that I was unable to do many times prior. It can be mounter outdoor, but I just put it into a window pointing at the closest antenna.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Path2ground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:12 PM   #8
Ddubya

I just bought the Ubiquity M2Loco with wireless router. Set it up at home and saw many more WiFi's in my area. Looking forward to my next trip at the end of the month to test in in a park.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:26 PM   #9
Traveler2017

This past spring I purchased a Camp Pro set up from TechnoRV and must say it works very well. I have used it now in parks in BC and Alberta where the wifi signal strength was very low. Using my booster antenna plus the router I get exceptional result, I would highly recommend this product.

Will keep everyone posted here as I will be heading state side in about 45 days.

Cheers,
VE7HSQ
Traveler2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:16 AM   #10
smgreen1976

I'm a computer geek by trade, so this may be overboard for most.

I picked up a Peplink Pepwave Surf SOHO MK3 Router for my Fuzion. It gives me b/g/n wireless on my local network and it has the ability to pick up 2.4 and 5 GHz external wifi. I also will have a NAS, mac mini, and a few other things hooked into a wired network when I go full-time next year.

I also have a Verizon wifi and pre-paid AT&T hotspot (I like redundancy...) in case the park's wifi is too slow. The Pepwave is great at switching between your WAN (external) connection between wifi, hotspot, or even wired. It can be setup to automatically failover if your primary WAN connection drops.

I also like the Pepwave from a security perspective. I have a lot more options to lock things down compared to a typical home wifi router, tho DD-WRT probably has a bit more.
smgreen1976 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wifi