Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2017, 06:29 AM   #1
Optic462

Grand touring 3220bh

I've been looking for this bunkhouse for a while now. I have finally found a good price, BUT it does not have the 50 amp service, so upgrading to a 2nd A/C will never be an option for me. My question: how important is the 2nd A/C, does it make a big enough difference to postpone the sale until I can find one with it? Does the coach struggle to provide power to all of the systems on only 30Amps?
Optic462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:02 AM   #2
Tbos

Mine is smaller with a 15K AC and it struggles at times. Particularly when it's full sun and high humidity. You can always add a separate 20 service to run the 2nd AC. Welcome to the forum from Southern MD.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:10 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Get one with the 50A service. You will be unhappy most of the summer trying to get by with one AC or trying to make some get by mods to....get by. Do it right the first time and you won't regret it. The 50A service will improve your on board experience by more than just running a 2nd AC.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:17 AM   #4
busterbrown

I own this model's twin, a Bullet 308BHS. Same floor plan and 30 AMP single 15,000 BTU AC service. This is my second year of ownership and I (and the wife) are very happy with how the 2 slide coach stays cool on the hottest of days.

One thing you have to remember about these coaches, they're travel trailers, not expansive 5th wheels. The roof line is much lower, allowing for easier cooling. Our Bullet came with 3 roof vents. These will be your biggest loss for your conditioned air. Immediately buy reflective vent pillows to mitigate the sun's heat. Do the same for the windows if you feel the need. Closing the curtains and night shades during the hottest part of the day will help too.

We spent a week in August last summer at Disney's Fort Wilderness with the kids. Temps averaged 93-95 degrees outside with extremely high humidity levels. Inside, we maintained comfortable temps around 74-75 degrees with just our one 15K AC. We've also spent countless camping days in Michigan's mid summer heat (90+ degrees) It can be done (ie vent pillows, closing curtains, keeping the entry doors closed). Just need to prepare properly.

A big however: if you live and camp only in the deep south (Stafford's in south Texas, right??), you may want the 50 amp service and second AC unit. The demands will be greater, especially in the long summer season. We live in Michigan where temps are a bit more moderate. Our coach cools relatively quickly after we set up. Just some food for thought.

Which ever route you go, the Passport (and Bullet) lines are reliable, fun and affordable RV's. You won't be disappointed. Happy camping!
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:52 AM   #5
mfifield01

I have about the same trailer as Tbos. In Texas, you need as much as you can get. I can cut about 20-25 degrees off of the outside temp (based on heat index). A few weeks ago, the interior got up to 81 in afternoon. It was 104 (109 heat index) and I had no shade. I've also added window covers in the summer (bubble aluminum foil).

Tags
3220bh