Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2017, 07:54 PM   #1
c00kies75

Samsung fridge

We have a 2016 sprinter with the full size fridge. My question is how do we keep the fridge cold while traveling down the road? This is our first travel trailer so if this seems like a newbie question it totally is and I am sorry
c00kies75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:11 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum
You should have an inverter dedicated to the fridge. Inverter takes 12VDC and makes 110VAC to keep the refer operating. Since we don't sell your model, I can't say where the switch is but it probably is near the monitor panel.

Did you buy it new? If so then your dealer did a LOUSY job explaining how things work.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:48 PM   #3
c00kies75

Thank you for the response. We did buy new but this way back in December. I can't say for sure the dealer didn't tell us but I definitely don't remember anything about a switch. I thought something along the lines of it will run if it's hooked put to the truck while we are towing but I can't find any hard info supporting that. I thought this would be the smart place to ask seeing as someone has to own the same trailer as us?
Old 06-17-2017, 04:34 AM   #4
Tbos

Welcome to the forum. You may want to post with your specific Sprinter model. Others that own or are familiar with your model may know where the switch is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 04:56 AM   #5
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Welcome to the Forum From Western PA

We do not like problems in general, I suggest doing a search on this frig, we have had many posts on this topic and I think you can learn a lot from these posts. If I recall correctly the unfortunate part is I do not recall a defined procedure to set up the ref inverter using shore power versus the inverter running solely off your batteries.

You are not the only one, there are a few members out there. Maybe they have worked out their issues and will chime in

Enjoy your rig !!!
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:31 AM   #6
captcolour

If you are towing for many hours and want the refrig to stay really cold, then you will likely need it to keep running on propane while towing.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:38 AM   #7
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcolour View Post
If you are towing for many hours and want the refrig to stay really cold, then you will likely need it to keep running on propane while towing.
Think the OP is referring to a Residential frig in his rig. Mode of operation is 110VAC ONLY
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:05 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

c00kies75,

It appears that you're located near Westmoreland, CA, a pretty hot desert area. I'd urge you to read your owner's manual (the generic Keystone manual) paying particular attention to the cautions and operating instructions for the Samsung residential refrigerator. There is a known problem with operating that refrigerator in temperatures hotter than 110 degrees without air conditioning in the trailer also being used (to keep the temperature around the refrigerator below the limit). Apparently the Samsung refrigerator can't operate efficiently and safely above 110 degrees room temperature. Doing so may damage the refrigerator cooling unit (compressor) and is not covered under warranty.

So, when you do figure out how to "turn it on when towing" also consider that if the sun is going to be "cooking your trailer" while on the interstate, the inside temperature of your trailer is going to probably be much hotter than the refrigerator can withstand. Don't destroy your new $1700 refrigerator without knowing its limitations. You can read about the refrigerator temperature limitations just below the DANGER notice and above the WARNING notice that are on pages 41 and 42 in the Keystone manual.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:33 AM   #9
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Welcome to the forum from Kansas City, MO!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:46 PM   #10
MattHelm21

I agree with Chuckster. The dealer should have done a much better job with your PDI. Mine also did not adequately explained my arangement during the PDI. I'm not entirely sure mine knew how these refers worked. Check the pictures I'm attaching. There is a big difference in our trailers but the Fridge should require some or all of the same equipment. To power the fridge from the tow vehicle you first need to find the inverter. That is the red box you see in my pass through storage. This will need to be turned on with the red power switch you see on the unit itself. Next, the 12Volt disconnect switch(more like a knob) which you see in the battery compartment needs to be turned on or the inverter will only operate in pass through mode allowing shore power(110 Volt AC) to power the fridge(mine is configured like this now). This is not the coach 12 volt disconnect switch but one dedicated to the inverter. Last and not in any of my pictures, there is a breaker for the inverter in the breaker panel which if your fridge is working at all is already in the correct position.

Just a note, with that knob switched on, it does not disconnect 110 Volt AC if it is available. It is like an auto mode where it will switch to your 12 volt battery if 110 Volt AC is unavailable. None if this is doing one thing about running the fridge from your tow vehicle. The tow vehicle becomes responsible for replacing the battery charge lost but running the fridge off the inverter. As long as the umbilical is plugged in this should happen automatically.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3493.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	13084   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3494.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	13085  
Old 06-17-2017, 05:02 PM   #11
c00kies75

Thank you all for your input and help ( where applicable) even if it was just read your owners manual. lol I will figure this out. Model # is 295RKS year 2016. I will also look up the model number in the forum. You will have to forgive me for not knowing where to look first I am a newbie after all. Thank you for the welcome as well. I do appreciate it.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:36 PM   #12
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00kies75 View Post
Thank you all for your input and help ( where applicable) even if it was just read your owners manual. lol I will figure this out. Model # is 295RKS year 2016. I will also look up the model number in the forum. You will have to forgive me for not knowing where to look first I am a newbie after all. Thank you for the welcome as well. I do appreciate it.
We're here to help. Remember, we were all new once too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge