Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2017, 04:24 PM   #1
wbdvt

Can I do this?

The DW and I are looking at a new TT which is 35ft, 9 ft longer than what we currently have. This is from tongue to bumper. My concern is being able to get it into the storage area on the side of the house.

Some details:
Tow vehicle is ~22ft long so total length would be around 57ft. With the current TT I can make it out of the drive but just clear the neighbors mailbox and have to bump the drivers side TT tires over the curb.

My neighbor does allow me to pull into their driveway and I currently do that to back down into my trailer storage area.

My thoughts are that this is doable. Upon exiting I may have to pull into neighbors driveway and then back into the road inside of coming out and turning. I have attached a sketch with dimensions.

So I looking for advice from more experienced people with longer rigs. Can I do this?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf scan054.pdf (375.6 KB, 417 views)
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS
His & Hers 2016 Vespa Sprint 150's
wbdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:01 PM   #2
sjdobbins

I had a Passport 3220BH(37 ft bumper to hitch) and was able to get in and out of some tight spots. The main downfall from tight maneuvering is the side load stress put on the tires.

Having the ability to use your neighbors driveway is a necessity from what I can tell using your sketch. My first question that comes to mind is what if your neighbor changes his mind or sells his house in the future.

Would you be able to back down the street and into your driveway? That might be a second option in the event your neighbors doesn't work out.

Just my 2 cents.
sjdobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:06 PM   #3
wbdvt

I think we will move before the neighbor as we are planning to move south in 1-2 years. and I can back in from the street.
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS
Old 02-27-2017, 06:31 PM   #4
busterbrown

I own a 35 foot Bullet. Have you tried pulling forward into the dead end street and then backing in? Your tree would be positioned passenger side of your TV and wouldn't be a threat. These long trailers have very wide tail swings. A 10 foot wide driveway will always be a challenge. If ground cover is dirt or sod along your driveway, you may have to utilize it as a driveway extension and pull back out to make up for your limited hard surface.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:57 PM   #5
Steve S

Why does it bother your neighbor so much that you drive on his curb once in awhile? Seems strange that a neighbor would act like that?
Old 02-28-2017, 05:34 AM   #6
wbdvt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
Why does it bother your neighbor so much that you drive on his curb once in awhile? Seems strange that a neighbor would act like that?
sorry I should have been more clear. The curb is on my property and the nose of my truck will just clear the mailbox on neighbors property and I bump over the curb.

I think with the longer rig unless I either widen my driveway or pull straight into neighbors driveway then back out onto road to turn, I can't do it.
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS
Old 02-28-2017, 06:45 AM   #7
canesfan

How long is it to the dead end from your driveway? You will need enough length to get the back of the trailer past the end of your driveway. Other than that I'm not really sure what the problem is. I have a setup very similar to yours. The neighbors driveway is offset past mine a few feet and their mailbox is where your fire hydrant is and that has never been an issue with the front of the truck. When we first moved here I tried, once, to use the neighbors driveway. That was the first and last time. It made it ridiculously complicated. I now pull past my driveway (toward your dead end), and back in, at a 90* angle. I also have a ~10' gate at the back of my driveway I have to get through to get into the back yard. Usually I'll end up having to pull forward once to get the angle just right to make it through the gate as well as making sure I can see down both sides with my mirrors. I block the entire street and the truck almost ends up in my neighbors front yard, but stays in the street, but whatever. People can wait for a minute or two (I'm at the very front of the neighborhood). Entire length is roughly 55', never measured exactly (37 + 20 - 3 give or take).

I also have to run over the "curb" exiting because the nose of my truck just misses the other neighbors mailbox. What is the problem running over the curb? We have those "rounded over curbs" here, not really a "curb", but if you have a real curb and it bothers you with your tires or whatever, put a board or two down to make it less of a "hump/bump".

My biggest issue with my setup is the stress it puts on the tires and suspension, but there's nothing I can really do about that but move.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:32 AM   #8
cardinal96ss

canesfan X 2. I also would begin by going up the dead end street staying hard to the right side. Backing up then should start the process of properly positioning the trailer to take full advantage of pulling forward into your neighbors drive.
cardinal96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:19 AM   #9
robo

I have a 3220 also look at link below. Man i like the split axle setup i can back it around tight spots you show be ok just practice
robo is offline   Reply With Quote