Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2017, 07:59 PM   #1
MattHelm21

Axle weights while stored

This is sort of an engineering question and primarily would pertain to fifth wheels. First, the question. Wouldn't axle weights be different depending in whether hitched or unhitched. I'm going use hypothetical weights not ones from a scale but assuming a 15,500 lb fiver, triple axle with a 3500 lb pin weight, 12,000 lbs are on the axles. This assumes hitched with the front of the trailer supported at the pin right by the front cap. However, when unhiched with the landing gear down, this support is done about 10 feet or more to the rear so it would seem the landing gear must support more weight than the pin relieving some from the axles. We often talk about weight behind the axles lowering pin weight. This is the reverse because weight forward of the landing gear should lower weight on the axles(I think).

Anyway, the difference could be negligible but if this sounds correct, has anyone found a method to weigh their fiver when unhitched and obtained separate weights for the axles and the landing gear since this is not allowed on Cat Scales? Since all RV's are going to have different layouts and appliance placements, I can see no way to mathematically figure this out.

Also, since travel trailers are stored with the support on the tongue I assume this would not apply and axle weights would be the same hitched or unhitched.

Lastly, if anyone was wondering, this is what I have to think about during winter storage months.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:41 PM   #2
bobbecky

I don't think weight during storage is quite as critical as the weight on the axles and pin while rolling down the road. The various road surfaces and road damage that these things roll over are what does the damage to the rigs and their suspensions. Sounds like you need to get out more or maybe take a cruise
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:37 AM   #3
bsmith0404

Hmmmm, I started to think about this for a second...then my mind started to ponder shifting of weight front to rear and the effects of the location of the landing jacks. At that point, I got another cup of coffee, wrote this reply and refused to ever think about it again.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:00 AM   #4
gearhead

I think if I really wanted to know I would get real good at unhitching and hitching. Then find a CAT scale off the interstate and weigh it early on a Sunday morning.
If the clerk starts hollering just ignore them. Usually can't understand them anyway. I don't think it's a felony or anything to make someone wait. I've waited on trucks drivers while they sat on the scale for what seemed forever.
Go for it. Let us know.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:33 AM   #5
TLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Hmmmm, I started to think about this for a second...then my mind started to ponder shifting of weight front to rear and the effects of the location of the landing jacks. At that point, I got another cup of coffee, wrote this reply and refused to ever think about it again.
me too, except I got a ice cold beer.

2014 Passport Elite 31RE

2017 2500HD Crew Cab
TLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:27 AM   #6
bsmith0404

If you seriously want to know, you may be able to find someone with independent wheel scales like the police/DOT use at mobile check points. Maybe a shop that builds race cars since they will independently weigh each corner of the car. The ones we used on the race cars didn't have the capacity for a 15k lb 5er, but someone may have some if you check around.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:48 PM   #7
MattHelm21

Thanks. I'm probably never going to find out but if I run across someplace that does individual wheel weights, I might try to. I don't make it to rally's which is where I've seen most of the companies that perform this service show up.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:02 PM   #8
gearhead

I read somewhere that Escapees RV Club has scales for this. Not sure where Sussex is, but you might Google up Escapees and see if there's some of them near you.
I've run several of these type problems past the calculus teacher in the recliner next to mine and she refuses to do another one.
CAT scale.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle