Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2016, 04:32 PM   #1
Jimdog1356

Warranty claim denied???

The power cord reel stopped working on my 2015 Big Sky and CW filed a warranty claim with Keystone. Keystone denied the claim and stated they never installed a power cord reel on a Big Sky and I must have added it myself. I had to send them a copy of THEIR sales brochure which listed the reel as a mandatory option. They then agreed to replace it under warranty. Their warranty system is a real joke. I wonder how many people just give up when they get jerked around.
Jimdog1356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 05:51 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Sorry your first encounter with Keystone wasn't better. I am not here to defend Keystone, but as a tech that deals with numerous different manufacturers, I can tell you that while it surely isn't a joke, it can be frustrating.

You have to understand that not all warranty claims reps know EVERY feature of EVERY unit carried by the maker they work for. Case in point:

Had a High end toy hauler with double fresh tanks having issues with the monitor panel reading properly from the fresh water. When I sat in my boss' office while he was on the phone to engineering, the rep said "that model doesn't have two fresh tanks". After telling us we need to change a part, we called the maker of the panel. A soon as we described the issue, he corrected us telling us that a change had been made and we needed to add a resistor to properly test. He assured us that it would read properly and put the unit back together. He was right. The

I only use this as an example to illustrate that you can't always expect the person at the other end to know everything about your unit.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:24 AM   #3
spokedintheeye

They must have information resources to draw from. It seems silly they make the wrong decisions based on a lack of information at their end.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
spokedintheeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:57 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

No matter the reason, in your mind, the problem lies with Keystone, so any explanation that doesn't confirm that would be irrelevant, so there's not much sense in providing any data to refute your "confirmed beliefs"... With that said, hopefully your RV will be repaired and you'll be back to camping without any further issues. Good Luck with your repairs.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:10 PM   #5
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Welcome to the forum .

You have to understand that not all warranty claims reps know EVERY feature of EVERY unit carried by the maker they work for.

Which is precisely why it is a joke.

No auto manufacturer has a human that knows what options and features were part of your vehicle... but their computer systems do! If Keystone needs a sales brochure to figure out what they sold, it is a friggin joke.

Entering the VIN in their computer is all that should be required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:55 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback 325BH View Post
Which is precisely why it is a joke.

No auto manufacturer has a human that knows what options and features were part of your vehicle... but their computer systems do! If Keystone needs a sales brochure to figure out what they sold, it is a friggin joke.

Entering the VIN in their computer is all that should be required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Without knowing what Camping World actually filed with Keystone, what Keystone said in response to that warranty claim and what "really" transpired, none of us are in any position to give any advice to the OP nor are we in any position to verify or refute the comments. In all honesty, I doubt that the OP has actually seen the warranty claim that was submitted by CW and the actual response from Keystone. My "best guess" would be that he was "told by someone in the service department" what transpired and even he is working on "second hand information"......

You are correct, Keystone "should" be able to enter the VIN into their system and locate any information about a specific RV that they built. But, were they given the correct information? Did CW fill out the form with the correct information about the power cord reel? Was there a "glitch" created by a human that "mis-typed" some of the data? There's just no way, with the information that was given in this situation that any of us can "solidly blame" anyone in the chain, from the owner to CW to Keystone.

This is yet another "he said/she said" type of situation in which anyone can be the "cause" just as easily as anyone can be the "solution".....

Frankly, the OP's RV is a 2015 model. None of us even know if it was still "in warranty" when it was towed to the dealership for "warranty repairs"..... I'd urge everyone to know enough facts to make an "educated decision" rather than jumping on the "bash anybody that looks vulnerable"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-28-2016, 01:30 PM   #7
spokedintheeye

I don't think anyone is bashing anybody vulnerable . Just complaining about system that doesn't work sometimes. People are allowed to complain.

Old 09-28-2016, 01:34 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokedintheeye View Post
People are allowed to complain.

Yes they are!!!

I can tell you as an "insider" that he who complains the loudest doesn't always get done first.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:36 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokedintheeye View Post
I don't think anyone is bashing anybody vulnerable . Just complaining about system that doesn't work sometimes. People are allowed to complain.

No, people are not allowed to complain (without any verifiable reason). Check the forum rules, especially rule #2 http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=367

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-28-2016, 02:11 PM   #10
spokedintheeye

It doesn't say we can't complain.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:25 PM   #11
BSHGTO

"nope"

This just isn`t worth it, I`m outa here.
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 03:36 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

As a person that has spent far too much time playing with my dealer and Keystone I can assure you that the owner is generally "left out in the cold" during the Keystone/dealer conversation - unless you have a really good dealer.

That said, having had this issue in the past, what the rep at the dealership conveyed may or may not represent the actual problem. In my case what was submitted from the dealer rep on one occasion of a warranty denial (after warranty had expired) had NO resemblance to the problem that I had; which I had explained in great detail to her. After the service manager returned ( I always dealt with him but he was gone) he, and Keystone, provided me the dialogue between the two. I then provided my in depth description that I had provided and all was repaired under warranty outside the warranty period - the service rep was released from her job.

The OP is correct that Keystone (and every other RV manufacturer) doesn't have the state of the art records/systems etc. that GM or Ford has.....but they don't make billions a year either. In my experience (a lot) at least they try.

The other side is mindset I guess. An RV is a toy. Most know the way it works with RVs; manufacturers and dealers; some may not. They are put together to save weight and money. They are very complicated toys and have lots of things that can break at any given time. At times a unit can be put together by grabbing whatever's around to get the unit done if something isn't in stock. That would be hard for a Keystone rep to know no matter how knowledgeable they were.

On this RV we had a lot of trouble from the git go. I am a very intense person; I hired an HR director and after a few months I asked her assessment of me. She said there are different types of personalities and you are definitely a type A....on steroids - I call you a red A We both laughed. I initially took this attitude toward the dealer and Keystone - to no avail. What it did do is ruin my RV experience. It took a while but I determined to learn the "dance" and work within the confines of what it is. I would suggest that to everyone.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 04:01 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
As a person that has spent far too much time playing with my dealer and Keystone I can assure you that the owner is generally "left out in the cold" during the Keystone/dealer conversation - unless you have a really good dealer.

That said, having had this issue in the past, what the rep at the dealership conveyed may or may not represent the actual problem. In my case what was submitted from the dealer rep on one occasion of a warranty denial (after warranty had expired) had NO resemblance to the problem that I had; which I had explained in great detail to her. After the service manager returned ( I always dealt with him but he was gone) he, and Keystone, provided me the dialogue between the two. I then provided my in depth description that I had provided and all was repaired under warranty outside the warranty period - the service rep was released from her job.

The OP is correct that Keystone (and every other RV manufacturer) doesn't have the state of the art records/systems etc. that GM or Ford has.....but they don't make billions a year either. In my experience (a lot) at least they try.

The other side is mindset I guess. An RV is a toy. Most know the way it works with RVs; manufacturers and dealers; some may not. They are put together to save weight and money. They are very complicated toys and have lots of things that can break at any given time. At times a unit can be put together by grabbing whatever's around to get the unit done if something isn't in stock. That would be hard for a Keystone rep to know no matter how knowledgeable they were.

On this RV we had a lot of trouble from the git go. I am a very intense person; I hired an HR director and after a few months I asked her assessment of me. She said there are different types of personalities and you are definitely a type A....on steroids - I call you a red A We both laughed. I initially took this attitude toward the dealer and Keystone - to no avail. What it did do is ruin my RV experience. It took a while but I determined to learn the "dance" and work within the confines of what it is. I would suggest that to everyone.
Very good, sound advice. It would benefit everyone who owns a Keystone RV (or any other brand) to read, then reread the above comment !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-28-2016, 05:30 PM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post

Well said!!

Old 09-29-2016, 06:45 PM   #15
notanlines

"Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk" Am I allowed to complain because this crappola keeps popping up like spam? Most people get banned for their spam. Get it off your phone. If you don't know how ask your 12 year old. Now I'll get off my soap box.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:12 AM   #16
jameswbarton

Re: Warranty claim denied???

Most of my Keystone Warranty requests were continually denied multiple times.

Roof Leaks, Air conditioning non functional, scratched windows, defective window shades, sewer plumbing leaks, multiple fresh water leaks.

I finally wrote enough letters, emails, and daily phone calls, and got my case elevated to owner relations and they eventually fixed everything but it also took 3 attempts and was in several warranty shops for 12 weeks this summer. I still need one more visit before I can winterize it.

One request was never fixed as Keystone called it a design defect with the roof AC condensate draining off the back of the roof and not into a gutter. It fills the door frame in the back storage compartment. They said it was designed poorly but would not recall it siting I bought it "As Is".

BTW you will never get a direct contact with Keystone nor will they leave a paper trail, so document everything if you need to get a Lemon Law Layer.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:32 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswbarton View Post
Most of my Keystone Warranty requests were continually denied multiple times.

Roof Leaks, Air conditioning non functional, scratched windows, defective window shades, sewer plumbing leaks, multiple fresh water leaks.

I finally wrote enough letters, emails, and daily phone calls, and got my case elevated to owner relations and they eventually fixed everything but it also took 3 attempts and was in several warranty shops for 12 weeks this summer. I still need one more visit before I can winterize it.

One request was never fixed as Keystone called it a design defect with the roof AC condensate draining off the back of the roof and not into a gutter. It fills the door frame in the back storage compartment. They said it was designed poorly but would not recall it siting I bought it "As Is".

BTW you will never get a direct contact with Keystone nor will they leave a paper trail, so document everything if you need to get a Lemon Law Layer.
Have you considered just installing a piece of aluminum "J" molding above the rear clearance lights? The molding is readily available, costs less than $10 and even with buying the #2 screws and butyl tape to properly install it, would cost you less than an hour of your time and $20 total? From my perspective, some battles just aren't worth fighting. Heck, just the price of fuel to tow it back to the dealership and then return to bring it home after repairs would cost more than the price of "just fix it yourself". I'm not saying "give up on Keystone's responsibility" rather look at the economics and time wasted and the personal expense to you, to determine if it's even worth it to point a finger at Keystone and expect them to respond and solve your problem.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-16-2016, 10:15 AM   #18
CaptnJohn

In November my Cougar goes to the dealer before the warranty runs out. One broken piece of trim. Doubt Keystone will cover it but it is needed. I'm very impressed with warranty assistance from Forest River and will probably return to one of their products next. I'm not unhappy with my purchase but there is the possibility the next one may not be as trouble free. Additionally, a customer can talk to a factory rep about specific questions or problems if is not satisfied with answers from the dealer. Also, FR has been known to ship parts from the factory to the customer which is unheard of with Keystone. Also, Grand Design is on my list for next time even though recently purchased by Winnie.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:31 PM   #19
jameswbarton

The problem is the design of the roof and rear molding. Lakes of water form in each corner of the roof and it does not drain where designed into the corner gutters. As I said A n Owner Relations Rep told me that it was a severe deign flaw that will need constant attention to keep the rear panel from delaminating but He refused to fix it since it was build as designed.

I should not have to redesign a roof as an owner. Keystone should do it but has refused several times. Warranty service is a joke with them.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote