Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2015, 04:42 PM   #1
lspajm

New Holland, PA - Country Haven / New Holland KOA - go somewhere else.....

We stayed there our FIRST, and LAST time...When I called to make a reservation they just became KOA campground (Assuming they did this to help with advertising?). They were very short/half-rude to me on the phone - I explained there are several of us coming together and wanted sites together - which they quickly told us they could not guarantee we would be together (very odd for c campground). I requested a particular row of sites - which they quickly said we could not request sites, and they would place us wherever they had openings - again - back to "I am coming with friends and we want to be together". I should have know at that moment to not make a reservation and go somewhere else. The rest of our group called and made reservations with the same un-friendly attitude and lack of customer service.

On their website they state they have an early check-in, and you pay a $20 fee. while I do not agree with this -- I understand their policy so called to see how if our site would be free/available, and what time we could check-in (thinking maybe 10 or 11) AM - I was rudely told that this policy is no longer, and check-in is 2 PM, and no earlier, and they basically hung up on me. I actually called KOA Corporate and filed a complaint with them as one of their franchisee' false advertising. We did check in after 2 PM, and the lady (Bonnie) at the desk was rude, short with me, and again when I asked what sites our friends would be on - she basically would not tell me, and told me to go to my site.

Additionally, their "free wifi" was never available/turned on, their cable channels did not work, their office hours were not as posted (we witnessed folks trying to check-in only to be greeted by a locked office door), and the guy who acts as mayor/tyrant of the campground rides around in his golf cart telling people what they are doing wrong. Their gate card at the entrance did not work properly, and when "pushed the button for help" we were rudely told by the owners that we basically were not smart enough to operate the gate.

You can tell they are doing "just enough" to get by as a KOA (very chinsey playground, small dog area), no pool, very little shaded sites, no activities for guests, nothing for kids to do, bathrooms are very dated, and the customer service - NOT what you expect at a family campground at all.

In short -- go to one of the other many Lancaster, PA campgrounds - these owners are not "people pleasers" and clearly do not enjoy the camping experience. They should be ashamed to have the KOA name attached to their campground (which used to be called Country Haven)…..too many rules and being watched all the time for a lapse in the rules is not very relaxing AND some of the rules are absolutely ridiculous. We are adults and do not need to be condescended to or treated like children.
2010 Ford F-250 Diesel FX4, Crew Cab, 6.5 ft bed
lspajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 04:17 AM   #2
Tbos

Wow, thanks for the warning.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 03:00 AM   #3
lspajm

It's one of those places that folks who only want to sit in their bus with fee fee is fine and if you are as stuck up as the owners. But for those of us who like the outdoors and campfires they make you feel like a child.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 Ford F-250 Diesel FX4, Crew Cab, 6.5 ft bed
lspajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 12:47 PM   #4
wooby99

We stayed there October 2013. Staff not the most friendly. Guy with golf cart directing us to our site did not have any patience. We told him first time with new trailer and it was dark and hard to see. We did figure out it is an adult campground, hence the name "The quiet one". We were told to keep our year old lab quiet (she barked at the horse and buggies that she never saw before). Internet was off when office was closed. Cable was okay that I remember. Probably never stay there again. Positives were the views, campground was neat and clean. Home baked goods from Amish farm across the road were awesome. It was not a KOA when we stayed there. We are going camping this Thanksgiving at Pitch Pond Campground near Lancaster PA.
2008 Ford F350 6.4 Powerstroke CCSB (533 whp 1008tq)
wooby99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:27 PM   #5
koko

Glad to hear that you wrote the corporation. We have done that a couple of times, and they're excellent at responding and notifying the particular KOA. I had an owner call me back and offer me a free night after corporate called him about my complaint. The campground I complained about was good - but my experience with the staff on the phone was unbecoming of a KOA.

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 09:25 PM   #6
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by lspajm View Post
We stayed there our FIRST, and LAST time...When I called to make a reservation they just became KOA campground (Assuming they did this to help with advertising?). They were very short/half-rude to me on the phone - I explained there are several of us coming together and wanted sites together - which they quickly told us they could not guarantee we would be together (very odd for c campground). I requested a particular row of sites - which they quickly said we could not request sites, and they would place us wherever they had openings - again - back to "I am coming with friends and we want to be together". I should have know at that moment to not make a reservation and go somewhere else. The rest of our group called and made reservations with the same un-friendly attitude and lack of customer service.
Just from what you've said from how they were on the phone to you and your friends why in the world would you proceed to want to book and stay there

Tags
amish, country haven, koa, lancaster, new holland