Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2015, 05:13 PM   #1
Jlwright

Unhappy New backup camera DOA

Bought a new wireless backup camera from Rearview safety and spent the better part of my day making brackets for the camera and transmitter. Drilled a hole in the back for the camera wire to enter the RV and mounted the camera. Next came mounting the transmitter bracket inside. Finished the install and turned on the camera and monitor to a dark screen. I made sure the system was paired and everything seemed to operate correctly except no picture. I unplugged the camera from the transmitter and plugged it back in several times but no joy. I guess it is a defective camera or cable going to the transmitter. Really ticks me off as I was planning on a trip next week and wanted to give it a trial run. Stupid me for not hooking it up before I spent all that time making brackets and drilling holes in my new RV. Of course it was after closing time on the east coast when I realized I had a problem so no one to talk to at Rearview.
Jlwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:34 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

My Rearview Safety camera system is 5+ years old. I've had a couple of issues that I needed technical assistance. One was a defective cable. They sent the cable overnight delivery so I could get my system up and running for a trip. Don't be quite so eager to condemn their tech support until after you've discussed it with them and they have had a chance to act on your issues.

You're right, maybe they should have checked "their crap" before they sent it to you, but then again, you did admit that you didn't check it before you installed it, so maybe there's enough "blame to share" ????? Geezh, report your problem, but don't say the company isn't responsive until you've at least talked to them, eh?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:40 PM   #3
Jlwright

Didnt mean to say they weren't responsive at all. My dumb luck for not checking it out and timing as usual was the worst as it was Friday afternoon and have to wait until Monday to speak to someone. None of that is their fault. I'm just being pissy because things didn't go as planned. I'm sure they will take care of the problem but like I said I wish companies would check their product before shipping and not just Rearview. my wife calls me Walter most of the time because of my attitude. ;-)
Old 05-29-2015, 05:49 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Well, Walter, maybe the system is not defective and there's a glitch in how you wired it, connected it or tried to pair it. Give tech support a chance, then, if it is defective, by all means say so, but at this point, there's no assurance that you even installed it correctly. Maybe a "chill pill" and a deep breath?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-30-2015, 07:26 PM   #5
theeyres

Unfortunately, I know of no company in the world that is going to check each and every item that comes off the line to see if it works properly. That would probably double the cost with the time and effort it would take and people won't pay that. Hope you get the problem resolved.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:33 AM   #6
Jlwright

Just got off the phone with Rearview and after explaining the issue the fellow said be believes I have a bad camera which is what I thought as everything else in the system is functioning fine. He is sending out a new camera today no charge and just asked me to return the old camera using their prepaid mailer. This is the best outcome for me rather than having to return the whole system and waiting for them to receive it and them sending a new system. John, looks like they are are stand up company. Please understand I wasn't trying to bash them in particular I was just frustrated. I also deleted the Crap comment.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:26 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm glad t they are taking care of you and hopefully they diagnosed your problem correctly. When I had issues with a cable on a reinstall on my second vehicle, they overnighted a cable to me without questioning if it was in warranty, if I messed it up or if it was a defective cable. The tech I was working with just said, "We want the system working for you so whatever it takes."

Standup company as far as I'm concerned. It looks like you got the same support I got. Good luck with the replacement camera.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS