Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2015, 07:54 AM   #1
BuddyHammond

Question Transfer Switch Troubleshooting

I suspect the transfer switch has failed on our 2010 Raptor. We did have the original Xfer switch replaced under Recall. All 110 equipment functions perfectly on shore power and the Onan runs perfectly and offers no error codes after it is shut down; however, with no shore power connected and the Generator running I have no 110 power.
So far I have reset the two 30 Amp breakers on the generator and reset all Circuit Breakers on the power panel.
Has anyone investigated a similar failure and what were your procedures?

Buddy
BuddyHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:56 AM   #2
randy69

If you are comfortable and knowable about electrical . This is what I will do pull the cover off transfer switch. Use your multimeter on the gen wires comming in to the transfer switch. If you have power your gen is ok. Next check for output from transfer switch .Do you have power? If not transfer switch is bad. If yes check your power distribution panel main breakers.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:00 AM   #3
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Just because the generator is running does not necessarily mean it is putting anything out. Your mentioned that you reset the two breakers on the generator where either one tripped before you reset them? If you feel safe at taking voltage measurements, the transfer switch basically has three sets of three terminals clearly marked ; shore power, generator, To power panel (your coach). Take the cover off your transfer switch and measure the voltages.

With no shore power and generator running you should have voltages on the generator terminals, none on shore power terminals, and if transfer switch operating properly voltage on the power panel terminals. Voltage on generator terminals and nothing on the power panel indicates transfer switch not working.

I would first check to see if your generator is putting out anything.

EDIT: Guess Randy and I typing at same time
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:42 AM   #4
BuddyHammond

UPDATE:
I followed the suggested paths of investigation only to find there is now no problem.
I disconnected shore power, took the cover off the transfer switch, verified no power on any 110 circuit and started the Generator. 20 seconds later, "ding": on comes the microwave. I verified the voltages and they were rock solid at 118.2 on both legs. I ran the AC units, shut down the system, and started the entire process again and have no issues.
The problem now is not knowing what went wrong and wondering when it will happen again.
Have ya'll seen this kind of problem as simply "one of those things", or is this indicative of a failing transfer switch or generator? The Generator has only 200 hours total time in operation.
BuddyHammond is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transfer switch