Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2015, 07:26 PM   #1
Topglock

Question Should I repack bearings (New TT)

Ok need some opinions. We bought a new 2015 Bullet 272 last August and put less then 200 miles on it before we tucked it away for winter. My question is...should I mess with repacking the bearings this camping season or not? Also I've read you should always replace the grease seals each repack. I'm a DIYer but how do I tell what size or kind I need?

This is our first brand new TT so I am being particularly anal about it.

Thanks in advance
Topglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:36 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

With only 200 miles on the axles, I wouldn't repack them. I would take the drum off and check for any grease on the magnet, shoes or drum. If all looks good put it back together for another season.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:46 PM   #3
Ken / Claudia

If you did not get the dexter axle manual, get one. It will answer most questions. And if you read the axle numbers off your axles you can phone them, they will email you a build sheet of your trailer axle, hubs, brakes etc. that lists all the parts you have if, when you ever need replacements.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:32 AM   #4
Larry1013

With many new vehicles, they suggest to repack wheel bears at 60,000 miles or so. I would not repack them after a season or two unless I put a lot of miles on the trailer.

I did remove the fancy covers over the wheel hub so I can feel them when I do a fuel stop. If the hubs were to feel abnormally warm or hot, I would find some place on the trip to have it serviced.

I did invest in a non-contact infrared thermometer that I plan on carrying with me that I can assess the temp of the hubs on a trip. You could also check the tire temps if you do not have a TPMS setup for the trailer.

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat CrewCab Long Bed 6.7L
2005 Keystone Outback Sydney 30FRKS
Larry1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:14 AM   #5
Topglock

Thanks for the replys. I use to repack every season on old TT. We had it 4yrs and I never did grease seals so I was just curious. On our new one I just dont want to mess with it if I don't have to. We did two local camp trips then covered it up! I just cannot wait for the weather to say nice so we take the cover off.

All the manuals are inside so I'll have to check if I got anything on the axles when I open it up.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 AM   #6
jsmith948

My DS made it from the Pugett Sound area (WA) to eastern Montana with his less-than-one-year-old Springdale where he lost a wheel bearing and nearly ruined an axle. Fortunately, he had stopped at a rest area and performed a temp check. There was very little grease in the bearing or around the spindle/bearing bub. Thanks to GS road service, he was up and running after a few hours. His experience prompted me to check the bearings on our then new (about 1000 miles) Cougar. Two had grease pushed past the seals and one looked undergreased.
I agree with Chuckster, you may not have to repack them yet, but why not pull the drums and have a look? Just sayin'

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:52 AM   #7
Topglock

Good point! I'll have a look just to be sure. I would rather be safe then sorry since we have a few long trips planned this year ��. Thanks
Old 03-16-2015, 08:52 AM   #8
Larry1013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topglock View Post
Good point! I'll have a look just to be sure. I would rather be safe then sorry since we have a few long trips planned this year ��. Thanks

If you pull the grease seal to repack the rear bearing, make sure you get the correct NEW seal to go back. Some do not have numbers on the metal clad seals to search for new seal. If no numbers or the ones on the seal do not cross reference, you will need the bore size where the grease seal seats and the diameter of the axle where the seal seals against.

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat CrewCab Long Bed 6.7L
2005 Keystone Outback Sydney 30FRKS
Larry1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:08 AM   #9
SAABDOCTOR

at my shop reuse a grease seal or an oil seal will get you a new nick name. UNEMPLOYED for 5 bucks why would you risk it? unless your stuck on the road. I do agree that at 200 miles you mat want to peek but you shouldn't need a repack.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote