Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2014, 11:04 AM   #1
Jim7411

Fibreglass Cracks

Okay, this is a followup on "Ooops, Crunch" thread. The rig is in the repair shop and in addition to the nose damage, they discovered a crack in the top front corner of the sidewall next to the bedroom slideout. The repair guy wants to replace the entire panel, the insurance guy says the crack was dirty and probably happened sometime before my "accident", and will allow him to do an epoxy patch. Apparently, according to the insurance company, this is a problem Keystone is aware of, and that is their recommended repair procedure. Anyone else out there in RV land have a problem with fiberglass cracking? I can see both sides of this...the repair guy wants to make money, and the insurance company wants to save money. I'm just stuck in between. At this point I just want the trailer back, as we have a trip to Death Valley on the books for next month.
Jim7411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:05 AM   #2
airforceret

Depending on the extent of the cracking, I'd go with the epoxy repair. It could be the shop you are working with is not comfortable with mending the damage and is more inclined to just hack and patch.
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:44 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree with airforceret. The cost to "epoxy repair" a 3" crack is probably $150. The cost to replace a nose cap is closer to $3500. From a profit margin standpoint, there's a lot more "gravy" in replacement vs repair.

It's sort of like replacing the entire windshield because of a rock chip. Virtually no insurance company will approve a windshield replacement until the "invisible epoxy repair" has proven not to be satisfactory.

I'd talk to the insurance adjuster, get him to agree that if the epoxy repair doesn't work, that he will approve the end cap replacement without you being responsible for another deductible. That way, your RV is repaired and if it should have issues with his suggested repair, you're covered without having to pay for a second "body shop" deductible.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:53 PM   #4
theeyres

I had a major accident several years ago and one crack was filled with an epoxy repair. It worked very well. If you sighted down the side and knew what you were looking for you could barely see the repair. If it were my pocketbook I'd sure go with the repair.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:43 AM   #5
Jim7411

Okay, I spoke to Keystone customer service and it all depends on the size of the crack. Big crack, replace the panel, small one, patch it. So it's all rather subjective. I think I'll go with your advice, get the adjuster to agree that if the crack comes back Progressive will pay for the replacement of the panel without another deductible. Thanks guys!
Jim7411 is offline   Reply With Quote