Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2013, 06:10 AM   #1
fendix

Prevent Defense

I have been reading a lot of horror stories lately on water damage to RVs. I was wondering if, after checking the existing seals on my roof, would it make sense to Eternabond all the seals( ac, vents etc) before anything happens... or am I overthinking things?

All comments are appreciated.
fendix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:29 AM   #2
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by fendix View Post
I have been reading a lot of horror stories lately on water damage to RVs. I was wondering if, after checking the existing seals on my roof, would it make sense to Eternabond all the seals( ac, vents etc) before anything happens... or am I overthinking things?

All comments are appreciated.
Conventional thinking is to watch the roof closely. If there's evidence of issues at the front and back caps, have them fixed immediately. There is another thread about serious problems in this regard. It's well worth studying.

As for around the vents, etc., checking them regularly is good. If there is evidence of cracking or peeling of the Dicor caulk, remove the peeling sections only if necessary (I'd be inclined to trim them back only until reaching firm bond), clean out the cracks as best you can without digging down or making them larger, wash it well, let it dry thoroughly, and then coat with Dicor self leveling caulk. If the situation is more than normal aging, two progressively larger applications of the Dicor may be warranted.

It's my personal opinion that covering everything with Eternabond tape is more likely to mask a developing problem rather than prevent one. I prefer to reserve the Eternabond for an actual repair if possible.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:00 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree with Steve. Eternabond is a "very sticky adhesive tape" and although it sticks very well and has a "longivity inspired name" (eternabond), it is not a "lifetime application product" Like anything else, it has limits on how long it will remain pliable and stick to the surface of your rubber roof. Additionally, the application process, or more clearly, the preparation of the surface where the eternabond will be applied is probably more important than the actual tape you apply.

You'll find that even where eternabond is applied, the rubber roof will still "chalk" and that powdery finish is not restricted to where it's exposed to the sun. I've seen the rubber membrane degrade for a significant distance under the eternabond seal.

As Steve said, it's probably best left to where it's actually needed rather than used as a stopgap measure in the beginning.

There is some renewed interest in spraying RV roofs with Linex or Rhinoliner, the same process used to spray PU truck beds. While I've not seen any long term use tests, if I were to want to try to "permanently eliminate leaks" I'd be inclined to ask about their "lifetime warranty" on Linex or a competetor. My only concern with that is what happens when you have to replace the TV antenna, or a roof vent or plumbing vent stack?

For me, annual inspections and maintenance of the roof membrane and dicor sealant has worked well. I'm inclined to believe close monitoring is probably the best way to deal with the problem of "future leaks" and good conventional repair is the best way to deal with "current leaks"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:19 AM   #4
jerseyphil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
Conventional thinking is to watch the roof closely. If there's evidence of issues at the front and back caps, have them fixed immediately. There is another thread about serious problems in this regard. It's well worth studying.

As for around the vents, etc., checking them regularly is good. If there is evidence of cracking or peeling of the Dicor caulk, remove the peeling sections only if necessary (I'd be inclined to trim them back only until reaching firm bond), clean out the cracks as best you can without digging down or making them larger, wash it well, let it dry thoroughly, and then coat with Dicor self leveling caulk. If the situation is more than normal aging, two progressively larger applications of the Dicor may be warranted.

It's my personal opinion that covering everything with Eternabond tape is more likely to mask a developing problem rather than prevent one. I prefer to reserve the Eternabond for an actual repair if possible.
Steve,
This is great info. I am still on my first RV since Nov. 2010, and this kind of information is invaluable.

I love this forum and the helpful people on it.

Thanks,
Phil
jerseyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:27 AM   #5
fla-gypsy

I agree with the above posters, check regularly and reapply Dicor as indicated.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:14 AM   #6
cathcartww

As said already, frequent and thorough inspections are essential - whether the seal is made with Dicor or Eternabond, it has to be checked regularly.

On our previous trailer I did end up using Eternabond around all three roof vents before installing MaxAire covers on them as I was concerned that it would be difficult to inspect the original Dicor properly once the vent covers were installed. The Eternabond installation was intact and looked great when we traded the trailer 5 years later ....

I think the basic difference is that with Dicor you look for mainly cracks and with Eternabond you look mainly for adherence problems .....

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote