Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
kiwi2000

smelly galley

So am I supposed to put the black water stuff into the galley and gray tanks?
It does not say so on the keystone manual only the black tank is supposed to get treatments.

But the galley stinks!

I tried dumping and putting in about a gallon of water for the trip home in the galley. Then dumping the galley.That seems to work...for a while then the stink returns. We are very careful with food particles and such entering the galley tank.

Should I be putting the same chemical as the black tank into the gray and galley?

The dealer says I should save my money and not use two separate products and use the same stuff, agree?
kiwi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
Firestorm

My High country 299 has done this before, smells under sink, I put a half a box on arm/hammer baking soda down ran like two cups of water down, let sit for awhile, haven't smelled any thing foul again, I think its a venting problem, but who knows if it does it again that's what i will do
Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
ussnitro

i would use the same products!!! its not gonna hurt nothing and will keep bad odors away
ussnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
kiwi2000

K...........
Old 09-03-2012, 08:14 PM   #5
hankaye

kiwi2000, Howdy;

The smell under the sink ...been several threads on this.
the Black and the other gray tanks have vents that run up and out thru the
roof. Sometimes, yours may be one of them, where in the galley tank vents to the space under the sink.
It's the pipe that comes from the floor and abruptly stops. the top of the pipe has a slotted cap and it may have become ineffective (fancy way of sayin' it quit workin). Should just in screw by hand or may need some gental encouragement.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:38 AM   #6
Bushman512000

stink

I use some cheep fabric softiner from the dollor store in all the tanks to keep the tank slick and fresh smelling also some oxadoll soap when useing to help flush the Black and a bag of ice about every 4 trip out to clean the probs ice must be used just before the trip so it will act as a scrubber...Bushman
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:00 AM   #7
kiwi2000

all good advice, thanks
Old 09-04-2012, 06:44 AM   #8
SteveC7010

There should be an "S" trap or "P" trap in the drain line of the kitchen sink. The purpose of the trap is to prevent sewer gas from coming back up the drain pipe into the kitchen. It does this by trapping a small amount of water in the "S" or "P" which acts like a cork.

When you drive down the road, the movement of the trailer may push the water out of the trap allowing odors back up into the room. Those of you who are seasonal are not immune to this because the water can also evaporate out of the trap over time.

So, making sure there is water in the trap is as simple as running the faucet for a few seconds.

It may not be the cause of the odors in all cases, but it's the easiest to fix.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:46 AM   #9
mhs4771

Many of the newer units are not using conventional "P" traps, instead they use something new (forgot the exact name for it) it's just a short section of straight PVC pipe with a rubber flapper located inside (requires less space). The flapper is suppose to be a one way valve, letting water flow to the tank, but close to prevent smells from coming back. If you have this type of system the flapper could be stuck open or just plain bad letting smells from the holding tank into the unit. Just a thought.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:51 AM   #10
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Many of the newer units are not using conventional "P" traps, instead they use something new (forgot the exact name for it) it's just a short section of straight PVC pipe with a rubber flapper located inside (requires less space). The flapper is suppose to be a one way valve, letting water flow to the tank, but close to prevent smells from coming back. If you have this type of system the flapper could be stuck open or just plain bad letting smells from the holding tank into the unit. Just a thought.
I haven't crawled under the kitchen sink yet on the Cougar so I am not sure which I have. But I get a gurgling sound sometimes when the sink drains. Jumping on the floor will get the gurgling going again for a few seconds. The flapper thingie might just explain why that is happening.

The trailer is in storage at the moment, but I can see some plumbing work in my near future once I verify which trap system it has.

Edit to add: Here's a link to one waterless drain trap" http://drainmaster.com/hepvo.html

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:21 AM   #11
bennydog

We had a smell galley when we opened the trailer up at the beginning of the year. I kept thinking it was coming from the head. DW walked in one day and announced that the sink stunk. Turned out to be a dead mouse in the trash can under the sink. I'm just saying...it could be something besides the tank

2010 Cougar 24RKS
2012 Dodge RAM 2500
6.7 Turbo
bennydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #12
5mary6

I also use milk and honey bath stuff to keep the tanks slick..Works well. In additon get yourself so ODOBAN, use that in all your drains and tanks. Never have a smell. I love the smell of my black tank and hoses after using ODOBAN. Took my old camper in for service and they commented on how nice my tanks smelled! LOL

PullRite Superglide 16k
Revolution kites

Previous RV

2012 MVP Sonoma SE 23bh
5mary6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #13
CUFFS054

Mary,
could you give more info on the "milk and honey" treatment?
CUFFS054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #14
5mary6

We buy it at WalMArt. It is a bath treatment. We pour a little in all the drains, to get into the ptraps and then flushes into the holding tanks. It basically greases the pipes and tanks so "stuff" does not stick to the pipes. makes everything flush really nice. Noticed a huge difference when dumping the tanks that everything is smooth.

PullRite Superglide 16k
Revolution kites

Previous RV

2012 MVP Sonoma SE 23bh
5mary6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #15
curlyfungirl

I picked up some yellow disolving tabs from CW. I haven't had any problems with odor. They have a nice lemmony scent too.
Superlow Sportster
Heritage Softail Springer
2009-2012 VRI
curlyfungirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:45 AM   #16
MadMax

Smelly Galley

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
kiwi2000, Howdy;

roof. Sometimes, yours may be one of them, where in the galley tank vents to the space under the sink.
It's the pipe that comes from the floor and abruptly stops. the top of the pipe has a slotted cap and it may have become ineffective (fancy way of sayin' it quit workin). Should just in screw by hand or may need some gental encouragement.

hankaye
Hankaye,
I just came across this posting of yours and I am also experiencing smelly sinks. I took a look under the sink and I do have the pipe with the slotted cap. I unscrewed the top and the cap portion stayed attached to the bottom threaded portion that goes into the pipe. What exactly do you do to 'encourage' it? I looked through the slot and can see what looks like a round rubber flap with a spring keeping tension on it. Is it necessary to unscrew the cap itself and move the rubber flap in and out a few times?
Sorry to be a pest, but I am frequently breaking things by doing it wrong so thought I'd check before attempting.

Don, Pearl, Zack, Magic & Brodie
2008 Cougar 289BHS (33' 5er)
2002 GMC Sierra CC 4WD, Diesel
Hijacker - Slider hitch

Previous RV's
Tent, Hard-top Tent Trailer, Chinook 10.5' Camper, 13' Citation TT, 1976 Diplomat Motor Home
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #17
hankpage
Site Team

MadMax, The easiest way is just to replace it. They are called cheater vents and are available at home stores and plumbing supplies. You can test yours by blowing through it but for sanitary reasons you might not want to do it. When you have spent most of your life with your hands in other peoples toilets, this test is nothing.
They only cost about 6 or 7 dollars, Hank

Comments from Festus2 will be ignored!!!!!
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #18
Festus2
Site Team

Hank -
Have no fear. I'll butt out and refrain from stealing any of your thunder.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:09 PM   #19
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
kiwi2000, Howdy;

hankaye
I checked and I have the short pipe under the sink with the slotted cap. What is required to check/fix this cap to stop the smell? Does it need replacing or is there something that can be done to the rubber flapper to fix it?

Don, Pearl, Zack, Magic & Brodie
2008 Cougar 289BHS (33' 5er)
2002 GMC Sierra CC 4WD, Diesel
Hijacker - Slider hitch

Previous RV's
Tent, Hard-top Tent Trailer, Chinook 10.5' Camper, 13' Citation TT, 1976 Diplomat Motor Home
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

The cap is a one way vent to keep the drain from "burping" every time you drain the sink. They cost about 6 or 7 bucks at any big box or hardware store. Once the rubber valve gets dry, it's going to "leak stink" no matter what you do. So, you have 2 choices, tape a plastic baggie over the whole thing and put up with the burping or buy a new drain vent and unscrew the old one, throw it away and install the new one. Some things just aren't worth the effort to try to repair. "Stinky leaks" is one of them IMHO.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote