Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2014, 11:13 AM   #21
therink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsearch1 View Post
Take it from my painful, and dumb, experience cleaning my awning - wear goggles. Safety glasses don't quite cut when you are working with detergents over your head. You may not feel the irritation to your eyes until the damage has been done and you find yourself at the ER.
This is exactly why I apply a good coat of bleach/water/detergent solution on the underside of the awning with a pump sprayer, roll it up for about 15 min, unroll it and then hose it off. Good as new every time and no chemicals dripping on me. Try it.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 04:02 PM   #22
mcsearch1

Great tip. I'll try that this spring. Thanks.
mcsearch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 01:52 PM   #23
Cougar1957

Well I have given up...the leaf stains on the underside of my awning refuse to come out despite me trying every product and concoction I could find. The last two I just tried were the Thetford premium foaming awning cleaner, and then diluted ammonia and also straight. The Thetford product is advertised as a stubborn leaf stain remover - it did absolutely nothing. Same with the ammonia - nothing. Guess I'll resort to the adult beverage and call it a day.
Cougar1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:48 PM   #24
cabinfever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar1957 View Post
Well I have given up...the leaf stains on the underside of my awning refuse to come out despite me trying every product and concoction I could find. The last two I just tried were the Thetford premium foaming awning cleaner, and then diluted ammonia and also straight. The Thetford product is advertised as a stubborn leaf stain remover - it did absolutely nothing. Same with the ammonia - nothing. Guess I'll resort to the adult beverage and call it a day.
I have used rubber roof cleaner on the bad spots on the awning. It worked great. If that does not work try Simple Green and/or Bio Kleen Streak remover. Those 2 have high a Ph and should do the job. Simple Green ph around 9 and Streak Remover around 11. I recommend gloves with the Streak remover.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:33 PM   #25
therink

Refer to my previous post. 10 percent bleach and water solution with a few ounces of Dawn in a pump sprayer. Coat the awning, roll it up for about 20 min. Unroll it, Hose all off real good. Very simple, minimal investment or effort.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:12 AM   #26
whitescrew77

Great idea. I need to try this one out. So hate scrubbing
whitescrew77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 04:23 PM   #27
Cougar1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinfever View Post
I have used rubber roof cleaner on the bad spots on the awning. It worked great. If that does not work try Simple Green and/or Bio Kleen Streak remover. Those 2 have high a Ph and should do the job. Simple Green ph around 9 and Streak Remover around 11. I recommend gloves with the Streak remover.
I've tried Simple Green and the black streak cleaner...neither one worked on these particular leaf stains. I haven't tried a rubber roof cleaner. Maybe I'll give that a go in the spring. Thanks.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:27 PM   #28
Cougar1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
Refer to my previous post. 10 percent bleach and water solution with a few ounces of Dawn in a pump sprayer. Coat the awning, roll it up for about 20 min. Unroll it, Hose all off real good. Very simple, minimal investment or effort.
I tried this technique, and while the awning looked nice and clean afterwards, it did nothing for the leaf stains. Maybe its something with the particular trees I am parked under - they are black walnut trees. No actual black walnuts this year, just the leaves and lots of rain. Thanks.