Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
rturriff7

Suburban Furnace Problem

When I turn my thermostat up, I hear the click in the thermostat and from the furnace but nothing happens. I can't get ignition or the furnace fan to come on. All other gas appliances seem to work fine (stoves, hot water tank). Any ideas?
Andersen Ultimate
Honda EU3000is
rturriff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:54 PM   #2
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rturriff7 View Post
When I turn my thermostat up, I hear the click in the thermostat and from the furnace but nothing happens. I can't get ignition or the furnace fan to come on. All other gas appliances seem to work fine (stoves, hot water tank). Any ideas?
Check the wiring from T-stat to furnace, may have a broken wire, the next possibility is a bad control board.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:44 AM   #3
rturriff7

I can't see a broken wire at the furnace end or at the thermostat but in between the two, well who knows. But I do get the click sound at the furnace. Would that mean that the electricity is fine?
Andersen Ultimate
Honda EU3000is
Old 05-17-2012, 08:06 AM   #4
Ruffus

Talking Air

You could possibly have air in your line too. Mine did this and I found that when I lit the stove it would come on so I thought all was working except the heater, then the burner would slowly die out. Mine was a propane bottle that had a bad safety valve on it. I found that if I let it sit for 30 minutes after slowly turning it on everything worked fine. I hope you get it figured out.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

If your fan does not come on, the problem is not gas related. The fan should run for awhile before you get ignition. (Purge cycle) Check your fuses and the wire-nuts on the wires so neatly secured on top of the furnace itself. I would suspect a problem with the fan or control module. ( What position is the fan switch on the thermostat in????? )
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #6
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
If your fan does not come on, the problem is not gas related. The fan should run for awhile before you get ignition. (Purge cycle) Check your fuses and the wire-nuts on the wires so neatly secured on top of the furnace itself. I would suspect a problem with the fan or control module. ( What position is the fan switch on the thermostat in????? )
Oh how we miss the simplest things in trouble shooting!
Old 05-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Oh how we miss the simplest things in trouble shooting!
Give an old guy a break .... the brain got there eventually.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:15 AM   #8
rturriff7

Doesn't seem to matter which position the fan switch is in. Have tried on and auto both high and low. The connections near the furnace seem ok. And the fuse is fine too.
Andersen Ultimate
Honda EU3000is
Old 05-19-2012, 10:56 AM   #9
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rturriff7 View Post
Doesn't seem to matter which position the fan switch is in. Have tried on and auto both high and low. The connections near the furnace seem ok. And the fuse is fine too.
Not sure, but I think Hankpage was referring to the Heat/Cool switch. Furnace won't come on in the cool position.

PS: To Hankpage, the switch was the step we all missed earlier! Good Call!
Old 05-28-2012, 05:53 AM   #10
rturriff7

Well after 2 nights of freezing the furnace randomly turned on in the middle of the third night and has worked ever since. No idea why. Now I'm sure I won't be able to get it fixed as the dealer won't be able to reproduce the problem. Hmmmm.
Andersen Ultimate
Honda EU3000is
Old 05-28-2012, 06:16 AM   #11
rhagfo

I stand by the second part of my 1st post, bad control board. Mine will sometimes not come on, simply flipping the Heat/off/cool switch to off then back to heat solves the issue. This really points to the control board.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #12
rturriff7

Excuse my ignorance but...

Is the control board part of the furnace or part of the thermostat?

Update...

Went out again last night and got setup. Furnace won't work again. I left the switch in the on position and turned the heat up. At some point in the night it started up again.
Andersen Ultimate
Honda EU3000is
Old 06-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #13
rhagfo

Control board is part of the furnace. It controls the furnace once the t-stat calls for heat, once the T-stat indicates we have enough heat it controls the shut down of the furnace.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:40 AM   #14
Jess6092

I am having this same issue right now with my furnace. Where would one find the control board? Is it replacable or does it require a repairman?
Jess6092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:57 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

The control board is found inside the furnace. Dig out your owner's manual for the furnace and you'll find it in the parts breakdown.

The control board is user replaceable, but if you don't have basic tools and mechanical ability, I wouldn't attempt it this time of year. If you mess something up, it's a cold night until the repairman can get there. However, if you're mechanically inclined, it's not really difficult.

As for getting a new board, they are available at most RV service centers, but there are "aftermarket" boards, DINOSAUR Electronics makes a board that is much more reliable than the factory boards. You can find factory information about them here:

http://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/Ignitor_boards.htm

They are sold at a number of RV dealerships, but you can get them online here:

http://www.americanrvcompany.com/Uni...rds_c_375.html

If you don't know what you need, get the furnace information from the decal on the furnace and call them at: 626 513 4777.

This is just one source for the igniter board, there are a number of others available if you do a Google search for "furnace ignitor board" or for "Dinasour ignitor board"

I've used Dinasour products since an old instamatic RV6 refrigerator bit the dust in 1975. Being an airplane avionics repairman in an earlier life, I appreciate the way they build their circuit boards. Much sturdier, better soldering and they are sealed from the weather and moisture, something you seldom find from the original factory. And, for the record, I have no interest in the company, in fact my only interest is from good results when using their products.

rhagfo, Your problem sounds like the fan relay on the control board sticking. I'm not sure if a well placed screwdriver handle tapped against the relay housing might help or not, but it sounds like your fan relay is energizing, then sticking and not supplying power to continue the lighting sequence. When you turn power off and then back on, it resets the relay and it'll work a few times before it sticks again. Might help to remember the old airplane repair motto: "If it doesn't work and you can't fix it, get a bigger hammer" (of course you have to be able to camoflage the dent marks afterward <wink>)

Just for "grins" before you go doing a lot of changing boards, etc. One of the most common problems with furnaces not lighting is either dirt in the intake vent (cobwebs, dirt dauber nests, etc) or carbon soot on the igniter pins. Crawl down under your cabinet, take the cover off the furnace and use an old toothbrush to clean the pins on the igniter. It's the part that looks like an old spark plug wire. then use an air compressor and/or a wet dry vac and clean the exhaust vent on the outside of the RV. An old bottle brush will help get anything out that seems stuck. If those two things don't help, then start looking at the control board. Usually the reason for soot on the igniter pins is lack of oxygen from a plugged vent.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:30 AM   #16
Jess6092

Thanks for the tip. I will try cleaning everything out well before dealing with the repair man. Been using space heaters that work pretty well, so haven't done much about the original funace yet.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:32 AM   #17
Jess6092

Just FFI, our problem turned out to be the control board.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:08 PM   #18
wowchad

I'm going to tag onto this thread since its applicable to my issue.
I read this thread and it was helpful, then I found a YouTube video that showed how to remove the unit but I cannot seem to figure out how to disconnect the wires. It's in s 2009 Outback where there's no access from the outside, it's has to come out through the inside.
Can anyone shed some light on how to disconnect these wires once I've wiggled the unit loose from the outter exhaust cover?
This is the You Tube video that showed how to remove my style heater from the inside
2009 LOFT -HOPEFULLY-
wowchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:13 PM   #19
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowchad View Post
I'm going to tag onto this thread since its applicable to my issue.
I read this thread and it was helpful, then I found a YouTube video that showed how to remove the unit but I cannot seem to figure out how to disconnect the wires. It's in s 2009 Outback where there's no access from the outside, it's has to come out through the inside.
Can anyone shed some light on how to disconnect these wires once I've wiggled the unit loose from the outter exhaust cover?
If you remove the return grille, then you should see the gas line at the front right corner. TURN OFF the propane before you remove the line. That front plate is the cover and should take a couple of screws to remove. Once that cover is off, there should be a single screw in the center holding the whole unit in the case. As a rule there should be enough wiring to pull the unit out and at that point you will be able to see where they attach.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:47 AM   #20
wowchad

Yeah I got everything disconnected and wiggled the whole unit loose from the outside fittings (vent) but I cannot pull it out because the wires are taunt. I tried to turn it sideways as much as possible to access the connectors but cannot reach them. They must be inside, right on control board and I just can't get my hand to the dang thing. Seems like there's a panel or sheet metal still in the way.
I even pulled the refer cover to see if I could pickup some slack from above where the wires come from but no dice. I'm truly stuck and using electric heaters which freaks me out some!
2009 LOFT -HOPEFULLY-
wowchad is offline   Reply With Quote