Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2020, 04:01 AM   #1
76er

Awning Issues

Hello all, have 2005 25ft. Keystone Sedgbrook. Last weekend we went to pull awning out and when pulled the arm out to extend up the whole bracket pilled out of the side of the trailer screws and all, this is at the rear of the trailer. The guy i bought it from said the wind pulled it out once but he fixed it but apparently all he did was stick it back in question is does this screw into a wood structure or what. Should i just buy a couple new lag bolts a size over and attempt to screw it back in or is there some kind of threaded sleeve insert? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
76er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 05:40 PM   #2
Pife

I'd use toggle bolts.
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 05:55 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

I wouldn’t use toggle bolts. We use wood “shims” like bamboo skewers or dowels. You can put the shim in as far as it will go, back out 1/2” and cut it. Then fill the hole with a sealant like pro seal or even silicone. Put the screw back in and tighten being careful not to over tighten.

The two lag bolts at the top of the arm definitely need the holes filled and sealed.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:55 PM   #4
Firefighter1406

Good idea on the dowels. Not a bad idea on the large lags either the only issue is the walls are most likely 2x2’s and at that age and the traits of 2x2’s it will probably crack more and not hold tight. Only other thing is to drill all the way through and use a good sealant and put a washer and nit on the back side. I am facing the same problem with my grab handle on the way in. Previous owner pulled out the bottom holes and moved them over a bit and those are now loose. Thinking about going all the way through. I might try the wooden dowels.

Thanks chuckster57.
Firefighter1406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 05:24 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

If I were "planning to go all the way through the trailer wall with bolts, I'd drill the hole, use carriage bolts with the "rounded head on the inside of the trailer" and install washers and nylocks on the outside, then grind the bolts off so they are even with the base of the nylock, inside the awning "C arm".

That would provide the "smoothest surface" on the inside of the trailer. A "raw bolt with threads" or a "nut/washer/bolt" on the interior wall will always be a "skin cutter" for anyone coming close to that area, and inside any RV, there's "close quarters" that make it even a more frequent potential to get a scrape/cut from something hanging out of the wall.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning