Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2016, 11:59 AM   #1
Got 88

Tire blow out repair help

Hello all,

Had a blow out a couple weeks ago on my 2014 Raptor 297. The damage for the most part is isolated to the mesh material above the tire...see pic.

It looks to be a fairly easy repair job in terms of making a patch, but I'm having a difficult time finding this mesh material. Went to two different rv shops and no luck...one of the shops said "call Keystone".

Anyway, wondering if anyone has a suggestion or has dealt with this type of repair? If so, what did you use and where did you get it? I thought about buying a tarp from Home Depot and cutting it to size...seems like it's very similar to the same material.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0679.jpg
Views:	892
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	10054   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0674.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	10055  
Got 88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 12:30 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The "mesh material" you're looking for is called DARCO. It is commonly used to "weatherize" the underside of all mobile homes and can be found locally at almost any "mobile home parts" location. Essentially, it's a "non-woven fabric with a flexible polyethelene coating" (think blue poly tarp).... Although it is much more durable than the standard "Harbor Freight tarp" it's much the same type of product.

If I were you, I'd look at the way the trailer wheel well was assembled and consider the "why's" that it was assembled specifically that way. The DARCO is used to "protect and waterproof" the underside of the trailer floor. Between the DARCO and the plywood/OSB floor you'll find several very important systems: the spun fiberglass insulation, heating ductwork, electrical wiring both 120 volt and 12 volt systems and plumbing runs from tanks to fixtures. All of those systems are "protected from moisture" by the DARCO. If you look at how the trailer was constructed, you'll find that the DARCO was draped over the entire chassis, the floor joists were installed, then the "systems" were installed between the joists. Then the plywood/OSB flooring was installed. At that point, the edges of the DARCO were pulled tightly up and over the sides/ends of the floor and secured with staples to the top of the plywood. After that, the walls were installed and screwed/bolted to the chassis. Essentially, that makes the DARCO a "one piece, waterproof barrier" that is laid under the floor and extends up and over as well as around the entire underside and edges of the chassis.

This construction technique assures that there is no "easy path" for water to be slung/thrown/driven into the "dry space" above the DARCO and below the plywood.

So, when you consider repairing your RV wheelwell damage, a "simple patch" won't offer the "long term weather protection" that's necessary and will potentially lead to severe water damage that could go unseen for "years" until the damage is so extensive that it's not repairable....

If you do decide to repair the wheelwell in a DIY fashion, make sure you consider procedures and methods that will offer the reliability and long term protection that the area needs to remain dry and functional.

If you still can't find any DARCO locally, you can order it from Trekwood, PPL motorhomes, Pete's RV Supply and any number of other "online RV parts stores" There is a very extensive list of RV parts suppliers located on the forum, in a "sticky" at the top of the "Repairs & Maintenance" section.

Good Luck !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 12:59 PM   #3
Rex1vt

If you have the potential long term exposure perhaps an insurance claim and professional repair should be considered.
Rex1vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 01:17 PM   #4
slow

Another brand of product to consider is Flex-Mend: http://www.vpproductsandsales.com/__...Flex_Mend.html
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:20 AM   #5
TomHaycraft

Damage from a blow out in November resulted in a hole in my subfloor with damage to the wiring. Needless to say, the waterproof mesh and insulation were history.

In fixing this, I asked about sheet metal along the tops of the wheel wells. I went with .060, top and bottom were painted with a heavy plasticized (forget the brand) paint to seal the metal and provide a durable surface to minimize rock chips from over the wheels. Properly caulked and sealed, if I lose another tire, my chances of collateral damage there has been greatly reduced.
TomHaycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:41 AM   #6
kimanderson98642

I just experienced the same problem and was thinking about the same solutions of using aluminum to seal and protect it from future damage if it ever occurs again.
Home Base Ridgefield, Washington
2011 Keystone Cougar 292rks
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins
kimanderson98642 is offline   Reply With Quote