Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2015, 11:49 PM   #1
DiverB

Toilet seal - OUCH!

So my toilet in the main bathroom is not holding water. I did my research on this forum and figured it was in need of a new seal. Not happy that my coach which isn't even a year old yet needs a new toilet seal, but these things happen.

I use my toy hauler on the weekends for tailgating at college football games and didn't want to take it back to the dealership and have it sit for weeks. I stopped by an RV dealership and bought a new seal and was surprised to find out they are $52.00! OUCH I thought $52 was pretty steep for a dang rubber seal.

I plan on installing it tomorrow, sure hope it fixes the problem of the water draining into the tank.
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 - Custom Tuned, 5" TBE, ATS Tranny, ARP Head studs, EGR Cooler delete, S&B intake, GDP intake horn, EDGE CTS w/turbo timer, FASS 95 lift pump, pac-brake airbags, Mag Hytec diff covers, B&W 20K hitch, AMSOIL everywhere

https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/199482.png
DiverB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:12 AM   #2
notanlines

Hard to believe that in a year the seal is shot. I hope you made sure that all other mechanisms involved are lubed properly and the "shutter" is closing firmly? Not a whole lot can go wrong, but it does need to close properly. Let us know how you come out.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:31 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

In the toilet owner's manual there is a procedure to "mold the seal" if it leaks. On many toilets, the seal will "work ok" from the factory, but that's not always the situation. Before you install that "new seal" I'd suggest you pull out your owner's manual and be sure that your "current seal" is properly seated and "molded" to the toilet. You may find that you've got a "$50" spare part for the future....

Good Luck,

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:00 AM   #4
DiverB

This toilet seal thing has me baffled? I cleaned the entire bowl, rim, and ball spotless. I removed the old seal, inspected it and lubed it with a little vasoline per the manual recommendations. It still leaked. Ok insert the new $52 seal and repeat the process. Its still leaking. I don't see any method of adjusting the toilet ball. I'm really baffled for what should be an easy repair
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 - Custom Tuned, 5" TBE, ATS Tranny, ARP Head studs, EGR Cooler delete, S&B intake, GDP intake horn, EDGE CTS w/turbo timer, FASS 95 lift pump, pac-brake airbags, Mag Hytec diff covers, B&W 20K hitch, AMSOIL everywhere

Old 11-17-2015, 02:35 PM   #5
JoePK

Seal

I had a similar problem, and found that the part that swivels open and close was out of position. There's arms on each side that has a round bump that fits into toilet base. One of those was partially pushed down and leaking water slowly. Hope this helps
Old 11-17-2015, 04:56 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverB View Post
This toilet seal thing has me baffled? I cleaned the entire bowl, rim, and ball spotless. I removed the old seal, inspected it and lubed it with a little vasoline per the manual recommendations. It still leaked. Ok insert the new $52 seal and repeat the process. Its still leaking. I don't see any method of adjusting the toilet ball. I'm really baffled for what should be an easy repair
Try this procedure: (especially step #4)
IF NEW TOILET DOES NOT HOLD WATER IN BOWL…
Please follow the procedures below before attempting to replace the seal.
1. Hold flush ball in full open position by pressing on
pedal.
2. Using finger, apply moderate downward pressure
around edge of ball seal.
3. Close flush ball.
4. Keeping flush ball closed, pour one quart of
hot tap water into toilet bowl.
5. Let water cool completely.
6. Check for leak.
If leak still persists, flush ball seal should be
replaced. Follow instructions provided with
replacement seal kit.

Good Luck............

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:48 PM   #7
DiverB

Thanks JRTJH,

I called the dealership and spoke with the service tech and he also suggested using hot water to help seat the seal. I figure if I don't get it figured out in the next day or so, after I'm done using the trailer in December, I will get it fixed under warranty.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:18 PM   #8
bobbecky

Wait!! Don't tell me!!! You have a Thetford Aqua Magic Style II ? If this is right, you might be better off in the long run to forget the warranty process and just spend a couple hundred dollars and put in a Dometic 310 or 320 toilet. You will almost eliminate the chance of flooding your rig due to that Thetford product, and you will not have the issue of not holding water. We had the pedal fly off one late night, causing the water to start filling the bowl. Half asleep, I jumped out of bed and was able to turn the valves that are behind the pedal to stop the water. We have friends that had one in their motorhome that was supposedly repaired by a mobile tech, came back one afternoon to their rig flooded with black water when the mechanism broke. Cost them thousands of dollars, as they didn't have coverage for that issue. We replaced ours a couple years ago and have had zero issues with it.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:00 PM   #9
DiverB

lol, I have the Dometic 300 series. Its just a simple rubber seal and the water drains from the bowl right down to the tank. The bowl is not holding water, somewhere or some how the darn seal is not making contact with the ball.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:36 PM   #10
bobbecky

Maybe the best thing to do is call Dometic. Just like any brand, a defective product slips through. Replacement of these things is pretty easy, maybe 15 minutes tops too. You might get lucky and get one shipped to you instead of having to pull the rig to a dealer and wait forever to get it back.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 01:21 PM   #11
LuvsPalmTrees

We had a problem with our Dometic (we had it leaking through were the bowl and the base meet) called Dometic it was still under warranty they shipped one to our house. Old one out new one in. Took about a 45 min.
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 02:41 PM   #12
hankpage
Site Team

Remember!!! Vegetable oil is not just for salad any more. In the past when we have discussed this problem most folks have agreed that a small amount of oil in a dry bowl left to sit for awhile will seat the seal. I do this for winter storage since pink stuff evaporates and you can loose the seal of gasses from the smelly tank. Now that your new seal is in it is worth a try. Dry the seal and give it a shot. What flavor veggy oil you choose is up to you. JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:54 PM   #13
DiverB

Thanks I will give it a try