Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2015, 10:53 AM   #1
lspajm

Awning cover - worth the money? or worthless?

Anyone have expereince using this product - or something similiar?

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ng-cover/72090

I am concerned about moisture being locked underneath of this cover -- it says it would keep moisture out -- but i am not sure how it would actually do that.

Thoughts? comments? feedback? thanks!
2010 Ford F-250 Diesel FX4, Crew Cab, 6.5 ft bed
lspajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:03 AM   #2
bsmith0404

Looks to me like it will breath enough not to hold moisture, but also looks like another product that will end up on a shelf in the back of the garage. I guess if you store outside and go through the hassle of putting it on before off season storage it could help protect the awning from the elements a bit.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:04 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

At Lowe's, in the "outdoor section" on the back wall you'll find "corrugated 6 inch drainage tubing" in 10' lengths. There is "ventilated" and "solid" styles. They cost about $6 for each section. Two of them will give you 20' of "awning protective cover" for about $12, saving you about $120 off the cost of a very similar product at CW.

Although it will protect the awning from "sun damage" it won't stop the awning from collecting water when it rains. It will cut down on the amount of water that runs into the awning, but you'll still get enough to grow mold/mildew even with the covers in place.

Essentially, they are just 4 foot sections of 6" PVC pipe with a slit along the edge so you can slip it over the awning. If you do buy them (or make your own) be very careful about how you slip them onto the awning, it's very easy to cut the fabric as you push them onto the rolled up awning.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:26 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Andrew -

If it were me, I'd give this product a miss. While it may not be "worthless", it certainly isn't something that I would spend $105 on. Apparently, you can travel with it attached to your awning and it will extend with the cover attached. However, when you go to retract the awning, you need to remove it and then once fully rolled up, you can re-attach it. If you're frequently moving from place to place, this could become a bit of a nuisance after a while.

Having 4 separate sections - along with 3 joints - wouldn't allow for a completely water-tight cover. I think water would still seep into the ends as well as into the 3 joints (even tho they do overlap). So if you are looking for something that will keep all of the moisture and water out of the awning, I think this product would fall short of doing that.

Tags
awning, awning care, awning cover, cover