Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2015, 04:04 AM   #1
grampscamper

Pump winterizing question

Our trailer has a built in winterizing bypass in the docking station. I can't seem to get the pump to draw antifreeze when in the bypass position. I know everything is correct because I connected my compressor to the inlet when in the winterize position and air will blow through the water lines. I had to install my own bypass at the pump to winterize.
I was able to winterize O.K. but it was a struggle to get the pump to draw there also. When I removed the siphon hose from the antifreeze container I don't feel any suction. Should I feel suction when I put my finger over the siphon hose?
I was able to get the job done and put in storage. I'm looking for suggestions to trouble shoot when I take it out of storage in the spring. We never use the pump except to winterize. I'm considering replacing the pump in the spring. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2017 Passport Elite 19RB
2019 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
2017 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 CC 6.7
grampscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:31 AM   #2
bsmith0404

If your pump isn't drawing it sounds like it's bad.

I'm a little confused about your post though. You say it doesn't draw in the winterize position, does it draw in the normal position? The pump works the same regardless of the bypass position. The bypass valve is only for the hot water heater, everything else is the same.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:51 AM   #3
grampscamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
If your pump isn't drawing it sounds like it's bad.

I'm a little confused about your post though. You say it doesn't draw in the winterize position, does it draw in the normal position? The pump works the same regardless of the bypass position. The bypass valve is only for the hot water heater, everything else is the same.
What I should have said is winterize position not bypass. I don't normally use my pump because we never dry camp. Last time I tried it it would pump from fresh water tank. I agree the pump should work regardless of position. I assumed the reason I got it to work is because the kit I installed was at the input of the pump not several feet away in the docking station. If the pump has poor suction it may explain things. I was curious if I should feel the suction when I place my finger over the siphon hose.
Thanks for your reply.

2017 Passport Elite 19RB
Old 10-13-2015, 05:59 AM   #4
bsmith0404

Winterize and bypass are basically the same thing. I would assume you would feel suction, have never actually tried it. If you don't use the pump, the seals may have dried out.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:09 AM   #5
grampscamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Winterize and bypass are basically the same thing. I would assume you would feel suction, have never actually tried it. If you don't use the pump, the seals may have dried out.
Thanks again for your reply. I've had problems getting the pump to prime since new. It's away for the winter now. I'll try a new pump in the spring and see what happens.

2017 Passport Elite 19RB
Old 10-13-2015, 09:16 AM   #6
mriski

Pump Winterizing

I am also having the same issue. I will pump 1/2 gallon of antifreeze in the bathroom. Turn it off and then go to the kitchen and it will not pull any antifreeze. The jug is still 1/2 full and the hose is still in the bottom of the jug.
mriski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:32 AM   #7
grampscamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mriski View Post
I am also having the same issue. I will pump 1/2 gallon of antifreeze in the bathroom. Turn it off and then go to the kitchen and it will not pull any antifreeze. The jug is still 1/2 full and the hose is still in the bottom of the jug.
I tried a 3/8" siphon hose and 1/2". I had the same problem. It's a little frustrating. I have winterized two other trailers for family members this year without issues. I don't like the way the pump outlet hose is routed. It takes a very sharp bend near the pump. Hoses are also laying on top of the pump. I may likely replace the pump in the spring and try and reroute the hoses.

2017 Passport Elite 19RB
Old 10-13-2015, 11:58 AM   #8
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampscamper View Post
I've had problems getting the pump to prime since new. It's away for the winter now. I'll try a new pump in the spring and see what happens.
If the pump won't prime from the fresh water tank, it certainly won't magically start working when you flip the valve to winterize. Pump function (or lack of) should be identical in either mode.

In another post, you mentioned sharp bends in hoses. That'll do it. Before you drop the bucks on a new pump, take some time to shuffle the hoses about. You may discover that the pump works fine.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 03:24 PM   #9
grampscamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
If the pump won't prime from the fresh water tank, it certainly won't magically start working when you flip the valve to winterize. Pump function (or lack of) should be identical in either mode.

In another post, you mentioned sharp bends in hoses. That'll do it. Before you drop the bucks on a new pump, take some time to shuffle the hoses about. You may discover that the pump works fine.
Steve, I didn't explain things well enough. It did prime O.K. from the fresh water tank when we used it last. The last time we used it was sometime last year. We didn't use the fresh water tank at all this year. We're always at campgrounds with water hookups. Since new I've never been able to get it to pull antifreeze from the docking station. I don't understand why I could pull from the fresh water tank but not the docking station. I know the valve is in the correct position because I checked it with air pressure.
I installed my own bypass at the pump. I was able to winterize it but with some difficulty this year.
I will take your suggestion and try to shuffle the hoses first. I will leave it for now because all the lines are full of antifreeze. It will be a good project for me in the spring.
Thanks for your response.

2017 Passport Elite 19RB
Old 10-13-2015, 07:01 PM   #10
Way Of Life

You are not alone experiencing this problem. Winterized our 2015 Fuzion 325 today and had the exact same issue. I did notice that there is a check valve at the inlet connection. I put a cone shaped screen hose washer to depress the valve just to get the pump to prime. Once it did prime I did not get much flow. Pump works great out of the fresh water tank but not the winterization hose.

Does anyone know why there would be a check valve at the inlet connection? Do others have the same check valve on there winterization connection?

Am bringing ours in for some warranty work this weekend so I plan on speaking with the service techs about the very weak flow.
.....and a Yorkie who thinks he rules the world.
Way Of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 03:42 AM   #11
grampscamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way Of Life View Post

Does anyone know why there would be a check valve at the inlet connection?
I suppose the reason for the check valve would be to keep the system pressurized so the water or antifreeze can't back feed out the winterizing inlet when the valve is in winterize position.

2017 Passport Elite 19RB
Old 10-14-2015, 04:22 AM   #12
jsmith948

I might be misunderstanding your issue, but, the check valve at the city water connection prevents back flow when using the on board pump. There is also a check valve in or near the pump that prevents city water from back flowing through the pump and filling the FW tank. It seems to me, if you are connecting the siphon hose to the city water inlet, there will be no suction there as the pump would be supplying pressure against the check valve? If you are connecting a siphon/suction hose to the inlet side of the pump, you should have suction at the hose. I'm sure you know to check for any air leaks as this would prevent the pump from priming.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 04:53 AM   #13
grampscamper

On our trailer there is a winterizing inlet and valve. It allows you to externally attach a siphon hose at the docking station, switch the valve to winterize, then pull antifreeze from a container. I don't have any leaks because I checked it with my compressor. Possibly my problem is the way the hoses are routed exiting the pump. I know my pump has very poor suction. To be honest I didn't think to check the input screen at the water pump. Possibly it may need to be cleaned. I watched a video about troubleshooting RV pumps that explains cleaning the screen. It still doesn't explain why I can draw from the internal tank and not externally. A plugged screen would cause a problem for both conditions.

2017 Passport Elite 19RB
Old 10-14-2015, 02:36 PM   #14
Way Of Life

Our Fuzion has a separate inlet valve as well which is where the check valve is located. Knowing these water pumps are a little on the weak side an idea was shared with me from another forum group I am part of.

He was having similar problems we are speaking of so he actually used a small submersible pump and bucket to feed the on board water pump and things worked great. The submersible pump was able to assist the water pump in maintaining a good flow through the check valve thus solving the low suction power of the water pump working g solo. TA DA.....Problem solved.
.....and a Yorkie who thinks he rules the world.
Way Of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 03:07 PM   #15
grampscamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way Of Life View Post
Our Fuzion has a separate inlet valve as well which is where the check valve is located. Knowing these water pumps are a little on the weak side an idea was shared with me from another forum group I am part of.

He was having similar problems we are speaking of so he actually used a small submersible pump and bucket to feed the on board water pump and things worked great. The submersible pump was able to assist the water pump in maintaining a good flow through the check valve thus solving the low suction power of the water pump working g solo. TA DA.....Problem solved.
Thanks for the tip. I've considered making my own portable winterizing setup. I'm thinking of purchasing a 12 volt RV pump. Making up a siphon hose for antifreeze on the inlet side and a garden hose for the outlet side that could connect to the city water inlet of the RV. I have a 12 volt outlet in the basement area that can be used as a power source. I could mount the pump on a block of wood with an on off switch. With this setup I could pump antifreeze into all the lines through the city water inlet. I could also push some antifreeze through the black tank flush.
I usually winterize 3 trailers every year for family members. It would certainly simplify the process.

2017 Passport Elite 19RB
Old 10-15-2015, 08:28 AM   #16
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampscamper View Post
Thanks for the tip. I've considered making my own portable winterizing setup. I'm thinking of purchasing a 12 volt RV pump. Making up a siphon hose for antifreeze on the inlet side and a garden hose for the outlet side that could connect to the city water inlet of the RV. I have a 12 volt outlet in the basement area that can be used as a power source. I could mount the pump on a block of wood with an on off switch. With this setup I could pump antifreeze into all the lines through the city water inlet. I could also push some antifreeze through the black tank flush.
I usually winterize 3 trailers every year for family members. It would certainly simplify the process.
If you are going to use a separate and portable pump, you certainly don't need to spend the premium dollars for an RV pump. Most any hardware or home improvement store will carry a wide selection of pumps. I purchased a 12vdc utility pump for about $55 a few years ago. It has garden hose connections on both the inlet and outlet of the pump and even comes with a spare impeller. Plenty of suction and lift. Ideal for your application.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:36 PM   #17
CFDfireman90

Just did my winterization today. Had to install the winterization kit on the intake side of the pump. Put the pick up tube in to a gallon of anti freeze and turned on the pump. It immediately picked up a prime and started to fill the fresh water system. All of a sudden it stopped drawing anti freeze. Could not figure out for the life of me why it stopped drawing up anti freeze. Spent 20 minutes checking everything and could not figure it out. Finally I simply opened a faucet and it began drawing from the gallon jug. Worked flawlessly from that point on. Ran all the faucets, shower and outdoor shower. All done in about 15 minutes.
CFDfireman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 03:19 PM   #18
saw dust kid

Keystone test dummy.

Sounds like the Pump is still sucking air from your water holding tank. Switch the winterize switch to ON. That will close your water holding tank valve and open up to your pump. Your bypass has nothing to do with your pump.
saw dust kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 04:17 PM   #19
Jim & DJ

Possibly need to have a faucet open for the liquid to flow through ?
Jim & DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 02:10 AM   #20
grampscamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
If you are going to use a separate and portable pump, you certainly don't need to spend the premium dollars for an RV pump. Most any hardware or home improvement store will carry a wide selection of pumps. I purchased a 12vdc utility pump for about $55 a few years ago. It has garden hose connections on both the inlet and outlet of the pump and even comes with a spare impeller. Plenty of suction and lift. Ideal for your application.
Thanks for the tip. I have all winter to investigate. It will be a nice little project for me. I saw an RV dealer with a portable setup that worked quite nicely. In my opinion a simple hassle free way to winterize.

2017 Passport Elite 19RB