Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2015, 10:09 AM   #1
rschad

draining fresh tank as part of winterizing

I have always winterized my trailers myself but this year I decided to just take it to the dealer as I had critical personal issues that had to be focused on.

Anyway when I got it back, I decided to check the monitors to see what they read and found out that the fresh water tank still had water in it. So I drained it and called the dealer to tell them they forgot the fresh water tank.

Their curt response was "draining the fresh water tank is not part of winterizing". I said you must be kidding me and you should have said something. The next curt response was "it would have been on your receipt".

I can't believe that draining the fresh water tank isn't part of the process. Is this what all dealers do? I will be sure and do it myself next year regardless of other issues.
rschad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:26 AM   #2
bsmith0404

Never heard of that. There are two methods of winterizing, one is to open low drain points and faucets and blow all of the lines out with compressed air. The other is to open low drain points, and faucets to make sure the systems are empty and then add antifreeze. Not sure how winterizing to prevent against system/line freezing would not include removing water first.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:07 AM   #3
Javi

I'd be thinking.....

And heading out to winterize my own trailer..... cause you been had
Old 09-13-2015, 11:09 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Opening the low point drains, blowing the lines out and/or adding RV antifreeze, while a part of the winterizing process, won't remove any water in your FW tank. Living in SK, you definitely need to drain the water from your tank! There will be drain valves or a petcock at the bottom of the tank that allows you to drain the water out.
I think your dealer needs a refresher course in basic winterizing steps.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:19 AM   #5
bsmith0404

Most/many RVs have a fresh water drain as well as the low point drains, I consider them all low point drains, but I guess to be 100% accurate you can distinguish between the two.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:23 AM   #6
SteveC7010

I'll add my voice to the others. The FW tank must be drained. It doesn't have to be bone dry. Some water, even a few quarts laying on the floor of the tank won't hurt anything because there is plenty of room for expansion when it freezes. I leave my FW drain open all winter so there is no chance of water in the drain line just in case. The flex hose from the tank to the pump doesn't have to be dry as it will handle the expansion. But the pump needs to be dry and/or filled with antifreeze. Small expensive little parts in there.

It is just too easy to remove the cap or open the valve on the FW tank. Not draining it as part of winterization is very irresponsible.

It's tales like this that keep me as far away from the dealer as possible.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:23 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

The first step in any winterization process is to remove all the water that can be removed. Draining the fresh water tank is a "no brainer" and is a part of every winterization plan I've ever seen. If the dealer didn't do that, my fear would be: "WHAT ELSE DIDN'T THEY DO???"

If it were mine, I'd start over from the beginning and make sure it's done correctly. Even buying another 3 gallons of antifreeze and the investment of your time is cheaper than buying just one replacement city water inlet or one faucet. Heck, the black tank flush anti-siphon valve costs roughly $50.

I'd call for a "do over" or "start over".....

Here's one "recommended plan" http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20540

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 12:23 PM   #8
hankpage
Site Team

Good point John, I wonder if they winterized the black tank flush.
rschad, I would double check everything .... outside shower also and water heater for sure.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:25 AM   #9
rschad

I am well aware of the issues as like I said I usually do the winterizing myself. I called the dealer again and spoke to the service manager who gave a different response from what I got before. She agreed that they should have drained the fresh tank and she agreed that if there are any issues in the spring they will fix them, she is speaking with the technician re potential other errors and I believe with the staff member I spoke with the first time.
I am going to do some further checking myself re did they miss anything else.

Thanks for the comments and feedback.
rschad is offline   Reply With Quote