Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2015, 07:03 PM   #1
ronson

fresh water tank repairs

this last week I just got through repairing my fresh water tank. We have a 2006 Laredo 28RL. very nice 5th wheel. one large slide. the water tank just started leaking sitting in the drive way. after tough job of dropping the belly cover, I had to cut each side of the rear bracket to get the tank out. it is bolted in but u can't get it out. much to my surprise I found very poor workmanship and little evidence of proper inspection. there is a front bracket that is welded in that is about 8 inches high and 2 inches deep and the rear bracket is a angle 2 by 2 inches. they put in 3 cross plates that are 2 inches wide. the cross bracket are held in be 1/4 self tapping screws WITH THE TANK SITTING ON THE HEADS. 6 NICE NOTCHES IN THE BOTTOM OF THE TANK WITH ONE STARTING TO LEAK. after I dropped the tank I put the rear bracket back in place and welded the brackets in place and then took out the 6 screws. I got tank repaired and put it back up with 1/4 plywood on the bottom to help support it. the rear cross member can be welded back in or add a piece of angle iron welded in and bolted on each end. looks like the tank is installed and the floor installed over it. VERY POOR ENGINEERING. I WONDER WHAT MY NEXT SURPISE WILL BE? RONSON
ronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:10 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

It is standard to install the tanks early in the assembly process. IIRC the frame is upside down to make it easier for the person on the line. As a rule, one of the supports is welded in and the other is screwed into the frame at both ends.

If you take the screws out, it should allow you to drop the tank, and I have done this too many times to count. Now the straps from one support to the other and the way they are installed IS an issue IMO, but I bet its the fastest cheapest way of doing it. I'm glad to hear you got it fixed.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:35 AM   #3
jsmith948

Just an additional FYI. When we learned from a previous thread that the tank strap screw heads were a possible cause of leaks, I emptied the tank and was able to raise the tank (used a smooth wooden wedge) enough to slide fender style washers (small center hole with large over all diameter) over the heads that were thicker than the length of the screw heads. Hopefully, these will keep the sharp, hex heads from wearing a hole in the tank. If the washers eventually wear through I will borrow your idea and put a plywood floor under the tank. Thanks for posting your fix

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote