Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2015, 05:21 AM   #1
trueweb

New Flood "Scare" Lights and tips

This weekend I finally found the time to put my new flood lights on. These are the circular "scare" lights that you find on RVs. Mine has 3 of them. 2 on the entrance side and one on the other side. Only one had been working since I bought it and they were developing rust that made me concerned it could create a gap that would let water behind the seals if the rust lifted the paint from the metal.

Upon pulling the first one I decided to test it before I snapped everything together and since I was using butyl tape for the seal I didn't want to have to pull it off again. Turns out it was a good idea. The lights flickers and dimmed in a manner I could not explain. After much testing of grounds and pulling all the fuses the lights finally stopped working altogether. I was frustrated. I finally took another one down to check for shorts. In the process of switching them on and off I noticed they would flash for a brief second. Thinking I had a bad switch I started taking the light switch panel off inside the RV. Turns out the wire to the light switch had simply given up. It frayed and finally snapped off. The connection was so weak it was causing the fluctuations and flicking the switch occasionally would make it work. I just put a new spade connector end on the wire and it works like a champ now.

Tip 1: The foam seals inside the clear dome rot and fall apart. This lets water get inside the lamp creating a possible point for water entry or to rust and destroy the bulb and socket. Probably a good idea to check on this from time to time. Not sure where you get replacements though.

Tip 2: The clear dome light covers have a distinct bottom with openings. Pay attention when remounting them so water can run out if it does get inside.

Tip 3: Check all the obvious stuff. Sometimes it's a simple solution but your brain wants to fool you into thinking it's something more complex.
trueweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:50 AM   #2
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueweb View Post
This weekend I finally found the time to put my new flood lights on. These are the circular "scare" lights that you find on RVs. Mine has 3 of them. 2 on the entrance side and one on the other side. <snip!>

Tip 1: The foam seals inside the clear dome rot and fall apart. This lets water get inside the lamp creating a possible point for water entry or to rust and destroy the bulb and socket. Probably a good idea to check on this from time to time. Not sure where you get replacements though.

Tip 2: The clear dome light covers have a distinct bottom with openings. Pay attention when remounting them so water can run out if it does get inside.

Tip 3: Check all the obvious stuff. Sometimes it's a simple solution but your brain wants to fool you into thinking it's something more complex.
I am guessing that your scare lights are like this:

If so, I believe they are manufactured by Bargmann. The gasket used between the body and the lens may be available at an RV parts counter. If you have an auto parts store nearby that carries Bargmann lights and accessories, they may be able to order them for you. (Same old advice applies about not dwelling on what the light is mounted on with the parts person.)

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:35 AM   #3
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
(Same old advice applies about not dwelling on what the light is mounted on with the parts person.)
Just tell them its for an intergovernmental classified project that you aren't at liberty to discuss. That will chill the questions.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:18 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Just tell them its for an intergovernmental classified project that you aren't at liberty to discuss. That will chill the questions.
Or get you posted to a "no fly" list LOL

Honestly, you can buy scare light assemblies for about $15. It probably isn't worth the hassle to try to rebuild, clean corrosion and find new gaskets. Amazon has them at this website and they are available at almost any RV parts counter. http://www.amazon.com/Lumitronics-Su...3R8VVVZ8QWDK8R

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote